Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buyers Advice Wanted: 1988 911 3.2 Euro Spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023 | 12:22 PM
Narbour
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers Advice Wanted: 1988 911 3.2 Euro Spec

What's going on? Currently live in Stuttgart, Germany and am shopping around for my first air cooled Porsche. Found a car that checks a lot of boxes for me, but there are some areas of concern that I am seeking a second opinion on. I have looked at this car on two separate occasions for about 3 hours total. Two test drives and have taken approx. 200 photos of the car inside and out.

What I am looking for:
A mechanically and physically (rust free or really close) air-cooled car that I can take on long trips all over Europe to include Swiss Alps, Dolomites, Nürburgring!, etc
- Ideally I would like to find a car that is somewhere between restored and a driver's car because I plan to put a ton of miles on it and daily it as much as possible.

The car:
1988 Dark Blue (Dunkel Blau) Porsche 911 3.2 with the G50 transmission
Miles: 205,400 km
3 previous owners
Spent its life in Germany and Holland
C00 Car
Engine overhauled in 2009 at 195,000km
New tires (Michelin Pilot Exalto) on Genuine Fuchs wheels (i verified)
Original checkbook
New clutch in 2009 around 195,000km
No documentation of G50 overhaul found in the thick binder of records
Respray around 10-15 years ago in original paint color
Partial restoration in 2016
Rear sway bar mounts have been repaired and re-tarred
Dealer it currently sits at performed 8000 Euro worth of maintenance in Nov 2022 (valves adjusted, new plugs, oil change, new fuel tank, battery, fuel filter, dampers for frunk and rear deck lid, used injectors)
Car was assessed in 2015 by "Classic Data" to be worth 59,000 Euros.
Has a current inspection that passes strict German standards for roadworthiness
No accidents reported

Dealer asking price is 59,911 Euros

The hesitation:
- Car appears to be solid, but definitely a "drivers" car judging by the surface rust on various components under the car
- Found some rust starting to bubble on various body panels (around the latch of the right side door, very small spot adjacent the headlight by the bumper edge, nickel size rust spot under one of the doors, surface rust up inside one of the rear wheel wells, and rusted area under the car between the side trim and the rocker - pics in link below)
- Dealer refuses to have third party PPI, says that he will do the inspection. The dealer has been in business 25 years and had a showroom of air cooled cars.
- Front suspension is solid, but can tell its a bit tired and would benefit from a refresh. All struts could use refresh. Upset tar on top hat indicates they are not original - which is a good thing
- skid plate in the front shows signs that the car bottomed out on something at least once
- In front right wheel well, the factory tar is disturbed. There is an indentation filled and covered with tar that does not look factory. Same side fender still shows factory spot welds and doesn't appear to be removed previous.
- No history of G50 refresh to my knowledge, however, transmission feels solid with no slop that I can feel. Shifts smooth through all the gears.

Good price and car for entry level to get my feet wet? Or, am I missing something?

Pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/8e851...b71a2n7b238jzd
Old 03-19-2023 | 03:10 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

The dealer doing the inspection says what is he hiding. The price seems high for the mileage and not being rust-free.
Old 03-19-2023 | 04:18 PM
RDM2418
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 44 Posts

I just bought a car from DLS Automobile in Stuttgart. I think their prices are extremely fair. They have a 2.7 Conde Green car that looks very well sorted and is in a great color. I really had a great experience with them and would recommend them with the greatest possible enthusiasm.
Old 03-19-2023 | 04:33 PM
gdp_samson
Intermediate

I find it expensive for a car with that high mileage and those rusted places...my car is in way better condition...100.000 km less traveled...but I would never think to sell it for nearly 60,000 EUR (I live in Belgium, so in euros...)

then again, if this car gets sold for 59,911 eur...then I did not make a bad deal some time ago
Old 03-19-2023 | 11:30 PM
gbracer08
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rust is always more than you see on the surface. No PPI by third party no sale. Plenty out there with no rust. Body work can get very expensive very fast. Tar disturbed means it probably had an accident. I don't like all the tar over the sway bar and front suspension. I would say it was damaged and re-welded or something. I would find one that wasn't repaired/in an accident. Take your time and look around at other places like mentioned above. You will find the right car when the time is right.
Old 03-28-2023 | 02:05 PM
Narbour
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up passing on the purchase. The search continues...

Quick Reply: Buyers Advice Wanted: 1988 911 3.2 Euro Spec