Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Accessory pulleys and drive belts (G series)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022 | 09:14 AM
Azena0001
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory pulleys and drive belts (G series)

Hello all

Trying to figure out where these accessory belts are going to and the real questions is I am trying to figure out if the motor is missing something from the factory on cars I am looking at to purchase. Im not necessarily interested in purchasing a "numbers matching" or all original car but more interested in a drivers quality car so mainly trying to find out if something major is missing or being covered up. Please forgive my ignorance on this.

As you look at the motor from the rear of the vehicle (reference pic 2) I see the AC compressor to the right and I understand that some vehicles in this time frame may not of had AC from the factory. The next question I have is what is the pulley to the left of the motor just above the distributor? I have looked at several models and same years do not seem to all be the same, most of them do not have it but some do. Is it power steering? Attaching pictures, one has the two accessories pulleys going to AC and the 2nd one I have no clue. The main question I have here is on some of the models Ive looked at I can see where there is a bracket (reference pic 1) that used to hold something I am assuming?, so whatever is missing I am just trying to understand if its a big deal or not.

Picture 1 (1977 911)

Picture 2 (1977 911)

Old 11-25-2022 | 10:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

its a smog pump . injects air into the heads by the exhaust valves. Just about all have been removed . Very rare to even see anymore. Might be an issue in California with strict regulations, but i think anywhere else they are gone.
The following users liked this post:
Azena0001 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 10:47 AM
Azena0001
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
its a smog pump . injects air into the heads by the exhaust valves. Just about all have been removed . Very rare to even see anymore. Might be an issue in California with strict regulations, but i think anywhere else they are gone.

Thank You 🙏🙏🙏. Was racking my 🧠
Old 11-29-2022 | 11:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

no problem, anytime ., get underneath the back of the car and see if the "spider web" is still there. it a series of pipes that would run from the pump to all the heads. Mine was cut and crimped off when i got it .. was a cool project to remove it all and put plugs in the head.

posted it with pics added back in. cant edit 16 year old post apparently.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...part-deux.html

Last edited by theiceman; 11-29-2022 at 11:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Azena0001 (12-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Accessory pulleys and drive belts (G series)