Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Portland, OR: Rennsport & Rothsport Still Best for Engine Work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 04:31 AM
JediJoker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portland, OR: Rennsport & Rothsport Still Best for Engine Work?

Just acquired an '87 3.2 Carrera with one snapped head stud. No loss of compression or oil leaks yet, but clearly, it's a ticking time bomb. From searching here and elsewhere, it seems that in the past, the two most highly recommended local shops for engine work were Rennsport Systems and Rothsport Racing. Is this still the case? Any other shops I should be looking at?
​​​
Old 11-17-2022, 02:19 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

Of course, Jeff Gamroth (Rothsport) has a stellar reputation.

But based on your problem description consider Marquee motors. I had a 1979 930 that I kept in Portland, and it had the classic headstud(s) broken issue. Curt (owner) repaired it and that was in 1993! He has been at it a long long time and he would be my guy for various repairs of a semi-old air-cooled Porsche. I bet that your recently acquired '87 will need a few other repairs that will require a general Porsche independent shop

Last edited by Igooz; 11-17-2022 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JediJoker (11-17-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:49 AM
JediJoker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Of course, Jeff Gamroth (Rothsport) has a stellar reputation.
Unfortunately, Rothsport is not currently taking projects.

Furthermore, Steve @ Rennsport only consults now, and he worryingly had no recommendations for any currently working local techs/shops (but sang the praises of RMG in Sunnyvale, CA where the car was serviced for the past ten years or so). Avant Garde are also not taking on projects; they recommended Heckmann & Thiemann, from whom I'm waiting to hear back.

But based on your problem description consider Marquee motors. I had a 1979 930 that I kept in Portland, and it had the classic headstud(s) broken issue. Curt (owner) repaired it and that was in 1993! He has been at it a long long time and he would be my guy for various repairs of a semi-old air-cooled Porsche.
Marque Motors (thanks for the recommendation!) and Stuttgart Autotech both quoted ballpark $20-25K, with the latter saying it could stretch to $30K depending on whether cylinders and pistons also need replacing. Hopefully, it wouldn't go any farther than that into the bottom end.

I bet that your recently acquired '87 will need a few other repairs that will require a general Porsche independent shop
True enough, over time. It was well maintained by the previous (original) owner, so for now, the main concern is the head stud.

...though the A/C blower is also dead, and the power adjusters for the driver's seat are non-op... 🙃

Last edited by JediJoker; 11-24-2022 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Formatting

Quick Reply: Portland, OR: Rennsport & Rothsport Still Best for Engine Work?