Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'85 3.2 DME unit rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:54 AM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '85 3.2 DME unit rebuild

I have a very intermittent no start problem with my '85 that I believe the DME unit is responsible for so I want to have it checked out.
Who is the go to for this work these days ? I have not seen a recent thread on this, who provides best feedback regarding a problem ?
I don't need a performance chip, looking for solid reliability.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nine45s
I have a very intermittent no start problem with my '85 that I believe the DME unit is responsible for so I want to have it checked out.
Who is the go to for this work these days ? I have not seen a recent thread on this, who provides best feedback regarding a problem ?
I don't need a performance chip, looking for solid reliability.
Here's an image of the typical failure point in the majority of DME ECM failures;

This repair of the three pins noted should only take about a 15 minute soldering effort.

Read here under Porsche DME ECM for some helpful info; https://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
Also for troubleshooting guidance also read here; http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...eshooting.html

Last edited by Lorenfb; 04-29-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:54 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 155 Posts

I would have Steve Wong rebuild your DME: https://www.911chips.com/c1chips.html
Old 04-29-2021, 03:21 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Loren,
I have checked the solder joints you mentioned, I seen this in one of your posts on the other forum. I also checked all the joints in the unit under a lighted magnifier. I am no expert at inspecting PCB's but I see no bad joints. Is it advisable to re-solder the 3 joints you pointed out even though I see no issue ?
Also, I have seen your website before and have read the info there, thanks for making that info public, I'm sure it has helped many people.
My problem is not a textbook type no start, last time it happened was over a year ago. Between the 2 no start events there were no starting, driveability, or performance issues. After the last no start I could not perform any diagnostics until the next day, first thing was to check DME relay, when I keyed on to check power at relay the fuel pump ran for about 4 seconds (I do not have a relay with priming feature), how can the fuel pump run unless the DME grounded the fuel pump relay ??? Next I turned the key to the crank position to see if power was going to fuel pump during crank, cranking was slow and the engine acted like timing was very advanced. I then turned key off and tried to crank again, engine acted normal and started.
Because of the strange events during diagnostics I thought a DME unit guru could help me out, everything else in the system is fairly new or checks out fine.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Loren,
I have checked the solder joints you mentioned, I seen this in one of your posts on the other forum. I also checked all the joints in the unit under a lighted magnifier. I am no expert at inspecting PCB's but I see no bad joints. Is it advisable to re-solder the 3 joints you pointed out even though I see no issue ?
Yes, resolder those connections.

Also, I have seen your website before and have read the info there, thanks for making that info public, I'm sure it has helped many people.
My problem is not a textbook type no start, last time it happened was over a year ago. Between the 2 no start events there were no starting, driveability, or performance issues. After the last no start I could not perform any diagnostics until the next day, first thing was to check DME relay, when I keyed on to check power at relay the fuel pump ran for about 4 seconds (I do not have a relay with priming feature), how can the fuel pump run unless the DME grounded the fuel pump relay ???
The fuel pump should only run (before any RPM signal) when the #50 signal (crank signal) causes the starter motor to run. Maybe you have a DME relay power. Have you replaced it?

Next I turned the key to the crank position to see if power was going to fuel pump during crank, cranking was slow and the engine acted like timing was very advanced. I then turned key off and tried to crank again, engine acted normal and started.
Because of the strange events during diagnostics I thought a DME unit guru could help me out, everything else in the system is fairly new or checks out fine.
Check all the ground connections, e.g. chassis to engine, and the +12V leads at the starter and battery. Given your infrequency of no-start problems, it's highly unlikely the DME ECM is the problem.
The DME ECM that's more problematic is later DME ( 0261 200 082) from an intermittency because of bad solder connections that are indicated in the posted image.
Next time you have a no-start condition, try and localize the problem to a no-spark/no-fuel condition.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:51 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Thanks Loren,
I will re-solder the 3 pins.
DME relay is new.
All grounds and power connections were checked after last years no start.
I will post if I find anything new.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:43 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks Loren,
I will re-solder the 3 pins.
DME relay is new.
All grounds and power connections were checked after last years no start.
I will post if I find anything new.
Any updates?
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 11-24-2022, 02:49 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

The first start of the year last spring had a long crank time but started. The car sat for about 4 months over the winter.
I'm thinking of switching to a DME relay with the fuel prime feature.
Thanks again for your input.

Quick Reply: '85 3.2 DME unit rebuild