Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Blew my 3.2 - rebuild w/Motor Meister or replace w/used engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:54 PM
seamd
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Blew my 3.2 - rebuild w/Motor Meister or replace w/used engine

Does anyone have experience w/ Motor Meister? They seem to be a good value.

I have a 1988 Targa w/ 140k miles. It would be great to have more performance, esp in low end torque.

This had been a daily driver.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are many posts on this topic, check the search. Here is one example: <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001269" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001269</a>
Old 07-12-2002, 04:14 PM
seamd
AutoX

Thanks, Chris. Eye opening, to say the least. My search continues.

I didn't realize there was a search capability until you pointed it out. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Lightbulb

Give ImagineAuto a call.

Ask for a simple mild HP quote on your 3.2 liter.

<a href="http://www.imagineauto.com" target="_blank">click here for site</a>

or call 913.310.9927

Rennlist sponsor even!
Old 07-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
Seamd:
What happened to your 3.2?

Buying a used engine can be a gamble. A customer where I take my car picked up a 3.0 for his SC from a dismantler (despite the concerns voiced by the mechanic). The motor was installed and within a week, it started leaking oil, plus it needs a valve adjustment).

Plus, most dismantlers will want your motor as a core, in which case you'll end up with a motor whose numbers don't match.

I would talk to you mechanic and get an idea on what it will cost to rebuild your motor.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:56 PM
seamd
AutoX

I spoke with Steve at Imagine Auto. Thank you very much. My decision is pending, but he was a pleasure to speak with.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:58 PM
seamd
AutoX

My mechanic wants 10K for a rebuild - not worth it to me at this point.

Is there any way to 'proof' a used engine to avoid poss. pitfalls?

On my 88 Targa, I wasn't compulsive enough about checking the oil. Sounds like a rod went.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

There doesnt seem to be a cheap solution to this issue. ~10k seems to be the average rate for a rebuild, IMHO. For that money you are close to a 3.6 upgrade (but they are used motors too! ) and also more then half the car's value. If you get a used motor get a leak down test and/or compression test. Of course this wont tell you everything but should give you a general idea of it's condition.

If/when I go down this road I think I might try to tackle it myself. It might take me forever, but I dont have 10k sitting around either.

Best of luck!
Old 07-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Carrera51:
<strong>

Buying a used engine can be a gamble. A customer where I take my car picked up a 3.0 for his SC from a dismantler (despite the concerns voiced by the mechanic). The motor was installed and within a week, it started leaking oil, plus it needs a valve adjustment).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Possibly the best thing you can do is actually speak to some of the Porsche mechanics and see if they have used rebuilt engines available.

For instance, my 3.0L Carrera engine was purchased from a Porsche shop who had just rebuilt it completely, but the customer no longer wanted it.

The other thing is to also treat a used engine from a dismantler with the same respect as you would buying a used Porsche. We all have great advice about purchasing a used Porsche, extend those ideas to a used engine.

I personally don't see why if you put an engine in and it was leaking oil and needed a vavle adjustment, would be any different to buying a used Porsche that was leaking oil and needed a vavle adjustment... get them fixed. No big deal!

As long as you can get an engine that you can get some of the statistics off (like how manys Miles or K's its done) and its a robust engine (3.0L, 3.2L etc) then I am sure you can just have it checked over by your Porsche mechanic and fix what ever is needed.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:05 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
seamd,

After overreving at Lime Rock last fall, I went with a 3.6L conversion. This is very nice upgrade for your carrera. Lots of torque.

I'm not sure what part of the country you're at, but if you're anywhere near Oregon and can get your car to Steve Weiner at Rennsport for a 3.6L conversion, go for it. If you're on this (east) coast, there's Timmons (in Delaware) and Rick DeMan (in New York). BTW, if you're a do-it-yourselfer (I'm not), I believe both Weiner and Timmons can sell you the engine and necessary parts (brain, electical harness, pulleys, lightened flywheel, chip, etc.), to do the conversion.

richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 07-14-2002, 06:24 PM
seamd
AutoX

I like the idea of poss. moving to a 3.6. Any idea on costs?
Old 07-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

No affiliation, but Steve breaks things down pretty well. Hope this helps:
<a href="http://instant-g.com/Products/36Conversion/index.html" target="_blank">http://instant-g.com/Products/36Conversion/index.html</a>
Old 07-16-2002, 02:17 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Seamd,
Can't speak to the content, but I would do a Motor Meister search at Pelican Parts. Similar question was raised a couple of months ago and I seem to remember a great deal of negative posts about them. Worth looking into before you make any decision.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:33 AM
seamd
AutoX

Thanks again for all the info.

Here's where I stand now:
1) I'm wary of dealing with Motor Meister from what I've read.
2) I'm deciding between buying a C2 with a wrecked front end and taking the low mileage engine out vs. buying a used 3.2 engine (both with good compression and leakdown #'s).

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to re-sell the remainder of the C2 (good tranny, interior, rear end), and what my 3.2 core might be worth (still runs, case ok, ?crank)?
This is the only way an upgrade will be financially viable.

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Tim L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can always rebuild it yourself. You can do a low budget rebuild for about 3K. I think that's what it cost me. Tear the motor down, check everything, buy a rebuild kit, send the heads out to be rebuilt. If the crank has a spun bearing you can get it fixed and buy a used rod. If your p&c's are ok (I would bet they are) new rings and put it back together. Its really not that hard just take your time.

Tim

Quick Reply: Blew my 3.2 - rebuild w/Motor Meister or replace w/used engine