Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F4 plt, Thank you for your service to our country and to freedom. I am touched by your sentiments and passion. Your son is probably a lot like me. Grew up around Porsches, and will be a lifelong devotee to Porsches. The company as a whole is a model of dedication and focus.

Daniel Dudley, Wow, that is how to sum it all up. I am humbled. I don't think James Dean could have said it any better.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

A 911 is a feast for your senses. Sound, smell, feel, look, touch. There is no other car that delivers such a combination. Driven well, at the limit, it's that perfect golf shot, that high dive without a ripple, nothing else compares.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sj340
So I am back to square one.I have learned it is not all about horsepower for me and if I am going to have a lower powered car,I might as well have the one I enjoy driving the most.I sold the 911 and last year I overpaid for the most perfect 944 I could find.
Man, you really need a 944 turbo. Imagine a car as perfect as your 944... pulling away from a C5 vette.

PS, sorry for the OT. My top reason to own a 911 is that there is absolutely no other car like it. The pedals and the steering wheel are in the wrong place. The switchgear mostly looks like an afterthought. Even the newer ones don't shift that great. Put all that together and somehow you get one of the greatest cars ever. Go figure...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

I can't drive any other car besides a 911 now because I can't find where the key goes.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Rod.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
If God were to squeeze a piece of German rock until a car came out of it, that car would be a 2.7 RS Carrera.

Behold Excaliber, maker of Kings, Hammer of the Gods. The Icon, the Archetype.

It is, and will remain the Porsche that all other Porsches will be measured against. Other Porsches are faster, other cars are faster. Very few cars will ever garner the same respect.

When you drive a 911, you have pulled the sword from the stone. You stand in the shadow of Giants. When you turn key, and drive a good one, When you take one by the scruff of the neck, and drive it the way it is meant to be driven, you understand the hype.

And you realize it isn't hype at all.

There are other cars that are as good to drive as a 911, and there are cars that sing and dance, but there is nothing, nothing, nothing like a 911 when it is driven the way it is meant to be driven. You have to live up to the car, and for moments, you might be a giant, and nothing else matters
My god, you have it right on! Well said. Thanks!

Rod.

Last edited by Rod.; 12-10-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: wine
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

There is something very primal, visceral, emotional about the 911. It's like when you met the woman you knew was "the one". You were willing to overlook her minor faults and imperfections because none other made you feel quite "that way". It's a subtle combination of input from all the senses combined; sight, sound, touch, smell. I think the 911 emits pheremones in the sweet perfume of its air cooled flat six.

Now that I think about it the 911 is the only car my wife has ever been jealous of. In fact she calls it "the other blonde". It's all starting to make sense.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
I can't drive any other car besides a 911 now because I can't find where the key goes.
My wife noticed in her car a few scrape marks on the left side of her dashboard

John
Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will, undoubtedly, feel like king of the road in a 911. I have owned many German cars and can say that nothing "fits like a glove" like a 911-and it is a bit incidious; It is not instantanious. It grows on you from that first awkward drive.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TT Oversteer
There is something very primal, visceral, emotional about the 911. It's like when you met the woman you knew was "the one".

Now that I think about it the 911 is the only car my wife has ever been jealous of.
+1
after selling my 911 and finally was able to buy another sports car, I looked at several including other generation 911s. but kept remembering my 3.2 Carrera. now have owned my 911 twice over 20 yrs, and married 31!

when I bought the 911 back, my wife's respose was "the bitch is back".

whalebird
nothing "fits like a glove" like a 911-and it is a bit incidious; It is not instantanious. It grows on you from that first awkward drive
yep, took me several test drives to 'get it'.

============
regarding my 928 purchase... completely different car. needed a more relaxed semi-DD to augment my F150 4X4 as the track upgrades for the 911 had made it a bit harsh on the steet.

driving the 911 always makes me feel 'alive'.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is great stuff! Funny, and I think wives everywhere would nod knowingly to that statement.

Originally Posted by 911tracker85
+1
after selling my 911 and finally was able to buy another sports car, I looked at several including other generation 911s. but kept remembering my 3.2 Carrera. now have owned my 911 twice over 20 yrs, and married 31!

when I bought the 911 back, my wife's respose was "the bitch is back".

Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many have driven home at dusk only too... "there's a slight wobble in the wheel, let me just reach over here across the pass. seat and turn off the scratchy volume **** on the radio...there now .. third gear has a little more whine than I remember...(roll down window)...part throttle...tires are warming up-they have a nice hum in the curves...light brake has a wierd feedback... the purr of these aftermarket drilled rotors is not what I thought...i think I like the squeel of the stock ones...maybe thats the wobble...has to be...o sh*t I'm almost home...another trip around the block...just veer over kinda close to the gaurd rail so I can hear...is that a valve ticking...(open sunroof)..."
This will go on for years and never gets old, of course theres nothing wrong. It's a 911

Quick Reply: Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911