Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Von Kiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911

This is from a previous post that I thought would be good to bring to the forefront. It is from the "Why would I want a 911?" post...and I felt it just got lost in it.

Hey, 10 more reasons I thought of...
1.) It was your favorite Hotwheel growing up.

2.) You pointed one(a 911) out to your Dad or friends EVERY time one passed you on the road.

3.) Just seeing one gives you a great energetic feeling. I mean even when its sitting still...its thinking about moving....like a cat ready to pounce.

4.) You get a "thumbs up" from any driver of a minivan/SUV and usually the kids are almost out of their seats just trying to get a glimpse of greatness.

5.) You have read "Road and Track" and "Car and Driver" long before you were of driving age. You read them front to back many times because it featured the 911 or 930 against the best of the best....and still "wowed" the author of the article.

6.) You had a poster of the "baddest 911 ever" on your bedroom wall.

7.) You can individualize it anyway you want to due to the numerous optional parts (race or street) Heck they don't really make an optional tail for the 944 unless you count the 968 tail. There must be 20 different tails for a 911.

8.) The sound of a flat six is indescribable.

9.) Apexing is more fun

10.) Its the car you have driven many times in your dreams...so make it a reality.

I for one cannot agree with these remarks below quoted from a fellow Rennlister...

"Porsche cars to me and my fellow 911 aficionados, are air cooled/oil cooled, dry sump and the engines are in the rear. Anything else is not a Porsche."

This is the "aficionado" attitude I hated as a 944 owner. I hated being snobbed at the red-light, or from across the street. They looked at me almost with disgust. They never saw the boy(20 years old) that loved Porsches and was planning on working up to the 911 one day. So today(28 years old) when I pass ANY Porsche, new or old, 914 or 911 Turbo...I make an effort to wave, or if I am out of the car...I walk over and speak...and ask them about their car. We all have wonderful stories about our cars...so stop, listen and learn.

I spoke to a guy with a 944 and his girlfriend at a wedding last month and I thought he was going to fall over. He concurred about the typical 911 snobbing that he gets. After about an hour of talking about our cars we parted ways as friends...friends bonded by a company...not just one product of a company. Oh...and by the way...my 944 was a mint example in almost new condition will 16 inch fuchs, and everytime someone got in the car they asked....is this new? Needless to say, a big smile appeared and I replied as I patted her dashboard with..."Nope, its a couple years old". You know you never mention a woman's age in front of her...

Hey we are all on the same road,

I think this is my full dollar's worth today,

--Brian
Old 09-12-2002, 01:16 PM
eJensen
Cruisin'

Cool

as Von Kiser put it:

Chicks dig 911's!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM
ATL944
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When tax rates go up, tax revenue increases. Everybody knows that
Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A counterpoint.....

I guess after running into 944, or 924 owners who are into the car for the "brand" identity, I sort of associated those cars with people are not dyed in the wool hardcore Porsche guys.

Don't get me wrong, I like talking to diehard car guys about any car, be it a Ford or a Ferrari. I don't like talking to brand identity guys so much, or people who collect cars for their image. I like working on cars and love talking to guys who work on cars too.

Having said that, more aircooled Porsche guys fall into that group than most other groups, and that includes the 944 and other Porsche water cooled cars.

I'm sorry for overgeneralizing things, it's just after years and years and years of Porsche ownership, that's how things get.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

i hope this is not one of those non technical "feel good" threads that goes forever and adds no real value like they have in those 944 and other water cooled forums all the time that make you want to puke ..
Fact is they stopped making 911s in 89 .. the rest beyond that is marketing hype...

..hey guys how did I do ? ..did i live up to the stereotype ?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about -
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

11) When I was 13 I assembled a beautiful model of a Jagermeister 911 RSR. It lived on my dresser for years and I always vowed I'd have a real 911 someday..... Now I do :-)
Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Woody
Racer

Growing up in a small Wyoming town I don't think I ever saw a 911. There were a couple around when I decided to buy a sports car but I had never been around one. When I told the wife I was going to buy a sports car I was thinking Corvette, but she did not want a fiberglass car and did want a back seat.

After looking around a bit I found the 911 would work for both of us. Fun cars even if they are more 'high profile' than I like.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
sj340
Advanced

I am not sure how 944's came up in this topic,but since they were,I thought I would add my thoughts.

I have always been a car nut and have been through many cars in the past 35 years.I don't know what is wrong with me,but I prefer driving the 944 over the 911.
I am on my 4th Porsche.The first two were 944's.I loved them,but thought they were underpowered.(compared to Corvettes that I also owned),so I thought I would try the 928 since it had a bigger engine.I liked the 928 OK but really wanted a 911.
I found a perfect 87 Carrera with around 40,000 miles,so I bought it.It was just what I wanted,guards red coupe with fuchs.I loved the look (and still do)but I just enjoyed driving the 944 more.The 911 is not a powerful car either(again comparing to the torquey v8 in the Corvette).
So I am back to square one.I have learned it is not all about horsepower for me and if I am going to have a lower powered car,I might as well have the one I enjoy driving the most.I sold the 911 and last year I overpaid for the most perfect 944 I could find.
I really tried to like the 911 because it is supposed to be the "real" Porsche,but in the end,I am the one that has to drive it and the one that makes me happy is the best Porsche for me.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Growing up in a small Wyoming town I don't think I ever saw a 911. There were a couple around when I decided to buy a sports car but I had never been around one. When I told the wife I was going to buy a sports car I was thinking Corvette,
I graduated high school in 1969 in Northern KY. several of my friends went into trades and immediately bought muscle cars. I went to college, saving/working my way through.

several years after graduating college I was able to consider getting a 'real sports car'. my intial intent was a Corvette. I had always loved the look of 911s, but had never driven one.

drove a C4 corvette, felt like a heavy piece of junk. drove a 911, and inititially did not like it.... felt wierd. but after a few more test drives of 911s I started to get the 'feel' of the car and fell in love.

I have owned my 911 twice. sold due to job change/financial demands. a year later started looking for another. the guy who had bought my 911 had bought a newer one and was selling my old one.

after buying it back, went to my first DE and then stepped on the edge of that slippery slope of $$$$$ upgrades. it is now mainly a track car but I still drive on the street occasionally.

just over a year ago I got an 84 928. so now I have the incredible scream of the flat six AND the growl of the V8.

I love them both. I frequently see other 911s of all ages. I have not seen another 928 on the steet since getting mine, other than at Porsche events.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

"Fact is they stopped making 911s in 89" (iceman)

Well put.....
Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Porsches, all of them, are on a level above any other car made, IMO. I do prefer the 911's, although I also loved my '91 928S4 which I had until last year.

There are no other cars made now-or previously- that can work as well as Porsches do when driven in anger on the street or track with the performance and durability they exhibit time and time again with minimal maintenance and expense.

I'm particularly attached to one 911 in particular which I just put up on the lift for my annual list of maintenance and inspection during December. That brings me to the next point-these cars are spectacularly simple and fairly fun to wrench on. With the exception of my paint 7 years ago, I've done everything to this car: Suspension and brake upgrades, interior redesign, engine tweaks and rebuild.

All were extensive modifications and inprovements to Porsche's obvious shortcomings in its design.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Motoracingltd
Track Day

I just love the 911, its so classy. Plus when you talk to a stranger about cars and your Porsche comes up...."what kinda Porsche?" "911" ..."Oh WOW that's awesome!" but if you had said any other number style Porsche... "oh that's cool, I don't know which one that is" saying and having a 911 is just easier to live life.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Motoracingltd
I just love the 911, its so classy. Plus when you talk to a stranger about cars and your Porsche comes up...."what kinda Porsche?" "911" ..."Oh WOW that's awesome!" but if you had said any other number style Porsche... "oh that's cool, I don't know which one that is" saying and having a 911 is just easier to live life.
My experience with the 928 was different than that. I got more comments about that car, I believe, than my 911. And that is saying something.

I think most of that can be attributed to Risky Business.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
"Fact is they stopped making 911s in 89" (iceman)

Well put.....
I would agree, but the cars that they built afterwords and had audacity to call them "911's" were still pretty damn good cars.

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 12-07-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911