Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
talane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 86 928 that I absolutely loved. I enjoyed the way it sounded and hugged the road. I liked its size. I didnt like how much the maintenance costs were on her. I sold her and now have an 88 911. It is significantly different from the 928 but that is not a bad thing. After putting several hours on the backroads with her she began to talk to me. I started to understand where all of the respect came from. She is the most expensive go cart I have ever owned and I am sure I'll always have one. Both Porsche built with completely different attitudes and I love them both.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
bdisco
Intermediate

This past September I took my Porsche to one of my daughter's away soccer games. It's an '88 Guards Red Carrera whale tail. On the way back took a left on to one of the curvy back roads that dot north east CT and got in line with a Red Dodge Viper and Lime Green Lotus Elise. The three of us just cruised along at a nice clip not racing just enjoying the road. When we got to an intersection a young boy about seven years old trapped in the back seat of his mom's minivan could be heard yelling "Mom! Look Mom! Look!". I think we made his day.

Thirty some years ago that little boy would have been me. Thats why I bought a 911.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by talane
I had an 86 928 that I absolutely loved. I enjoyed the way it sounded and hugged the road. I liked its size. I didnt like how much the maintenance costs were on her. I sold her and now have an 88 911. It is significantly different from the 928 but that is not a bad thing. After putting several hours on the backroads with her she began to talk to me. I started to understand where all of the respect came from. She is the most expensive go cart I have ever owned and I am sure I'll always have one. Both Porsche built with completely different attitudes and I love them both.

Agreed. The 928 was the one for when I needed to drive somewhere, especially long trips. Nothing was better on the highway.

The 911 was best for when I just wanted to drive.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ some would say that a 928 was the first real Porsche. Developed exclusivly in house. the water-cooled program started in the late sixties, and gave us the 928/24/44 etc. These cars have have an indelable Porsche quality that any Porsche fan should see, if they can't see it then they are not looking. So, IMHO, the guys that want to sit around and hold a 911 over any other Porsche is truly the one with the "brand identity". I hate car snobs.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
^^ some would say that a 928 was the first real Porsche. Developed exclusivly in house. the water-cooled program started in the late sixties, and gave us the 928/24/44 etc. These cars have have an indelable Porsche quality that any Porsche fan should see, if they can't see it then they are not looking. So, IMHO, the guys that want to sit around and hold a 911 over any other Porsche is truly the one with the "brand identity". I hate car snobs.
Now hold on there.

You're talking about the 928? The car with the Mercedes transmission? The one that, at the end of it's model run did not displace the 911 as the top of the Porsche range...but is noted as a success because it attracted a new type of buyer...the Mercedes owner? The boulevard cruiser? The forerunner to the Cayenne, it would seem?

Let's get one thing straight. The 928, while a quality car, is not the enthusiast car that the 911 is.

Porsche has always made quality cars. Each one is special, and each is a high performance car. There is no disputing that. But there is something that the 911 has that makes it discernable from other cars, even other Porsches. It is the person who makes that distinction, and prioritizes what qualities the 911 has over other qualities, that person is an enthusiast. Car snob? That seems trite.

Put it this way. If you have a lot of knowledge about a subject that you enjoy talking about, then you naturally enjoy talking to other people who share your enthusiasm. Hence, online car forums. It's not about excluding others so much as it is sharing knowledge and sharing experience with like minded folks. 928 owners, 924, 944 owners are great people I'm sure. Even Boxter owners. But the conversations with them are far shorter, and tend to gravitate toward golf scores and 401K plans a lot sooner than conversations with 911SC owners, 911S or T owners, or even 914 or 356 owners. It's about passion, not snobbery.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I'd say that a trip to the 928 board here will show it is one of the most used segments of Rennlist, Mr. rusnak....plenty of passion there. You'll notice that there are 4 times as many threads there as there are on this board, and a lot more people online at a given time. The mission of the 928 was indeed to displace the 911 as the flagship car, but we know how history turned out. Over 17 years, only approx 50,000 were built, so in sheer numbers, it pales with the production of the "911" et al over its long run. I think that as the 928 was sold, that the true enthusiasts buying 911's were on the wane too, as it had become something of a status symbol.

I do agree that the 911 is the icon that is most representative of Porsche. Heck, they've building this basic design with a 6 cylinder flat 6 in the back for almost 50 years-it should be!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, I'd say that a trip to the 928 board here will show it is one of the most used segments of Rennlist, Mr. rusnak....plenty of passion there. You'll notice that there are 4 times as many threads there as there are on this board, and a lot more people online at a given time...
To be fair there are more 911 threads (about twice as many) as 928 threads. The 928 threads outnumber THIS specific model forum.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 To also be fair, I do not think we are any less passionate!
Although my 401K is doing much better, Thank you very much!

'89 928S4 GP White/Black
'76 912E Silver/Black sunroof
Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure I said 4 times as many as this board, which is the 911 board.

Yes, there are 964, 993, 996, 997, 930, etc, etc areas on Renn.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If God were to squeeze a piece of German rock until a car came out of it, that car would be a 2.7 RS Carrera.

Behold Excaliber, maker of Kings, Hammer of the Gods. The Icon, the Archetype.

It is, and will remain the Porsche that all other Porsches will be measured against. Other Porsches are faster, other cars are faster. Very few cars will ever garner the same respect.

When you drive a 911, you have pulled the sword from the stone. You stand in the shadow of Giants. When you turn key, and drive a good one, When you take one by the scruff of the neck, and drive it the way it is meant to be driven, you understand the hype.

And you realize it isn't hype at all.

There are other cars that are as good to drive as a 911, and there are cars that sing and dance, but there is nothing, nothing, nothing like a 911 when it is driven the way it is meant to be driven. You have to live up to the car, and for moments, you might be a giant, and nothing else matters.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

The love started long ago. That is my son, taken in 1971 guarding our '66 912 while I was serving my third tour in VietNam (he was 2.5 at the time) The 912 is long gone but not forgotten and many other "P" cars have followed. The white '83 SC still has an honored place in the garage and will be passed on to my son ... someday. The '09 C2S is the current daily driver. Quite and evolution from the 912 to the current C2S with DFI and PDK and it will not be my last. Porsche is not a car but a lifestyle of fun driving. I wish everyone as much fun.
Attached Images    

Last edited by f4 plt; 12-08-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

911 owners, by far, represent the best cross section of car people I have ever met. As a 18 year member of PCA, BMWCCA, and Benz owners club, The 911 guys are the best hands down. I find a great deal of joy in my 911, 924S, and Ford F150. They all are great execution of an engineering objective. From paper to car - nobody executes better than Porsche and that includes other models as well. One just has to see the engineering objective Porsche was going for in each model. The broad reach of the owners has little to do with the car.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Slimwear
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm pretty sure I said 4 times as many as this board, which is the 911 board.

Yes, there are 964, 993, 996, 997, 930, etc, etc areas on Renn.
My bad Ed, but I do think you are confusing posts with threads which is what made me look at the reference. Still, there are twice as many threads which I wouldn't have guessed originally.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
pete917
Advanced

I just loved them as boy and as soon as I could afford it I bought one. I avent looked back and she still manages to put a smile on face after many years of ownership. No other car has ever come close.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Growing up I always wanted an early T-bird, especially a '57. Regretably I "grew up" to be 6'2" and don't fit the early models nor even the new "retro" ones. But one thing NOT to like about the 911 series...., the lack of a tilt stearing wheel.

Only one other thing not to like...., not enough track time.

Quick Reply: Do you guys agree? Have more thoughts? 10 Reasons to own a 911