Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CDI Eval - Capacitor Discharge Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 07:20 PM
DenVogel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CDI Eval - Capacitor Discharge Ignition

How fragile are the CDI units from 911T / 914-6 engines? Is there a way for the DIY mechanic to evaluate them out of the car?

We don't know the history of the engine. I do know that it hasn't been in a car for over 10 years. We're going to start tearing the engine for a complete rebuild in a couple weeks, and now would be the time to do something with the CDI (among other things) if warranted.

A 914World forum member mentioned Ashlocktech does CDI restorations, but I will spend the $350 elsewhere it's not needed for this.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

P.S. For these 911T / 914-6 engine topics, I never quite know whether to post them here or over on 914World board. I hope I'm not offending anyone by cross-posting.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

actually the best place to post is Pelican, not much technical expertise hear anymore compared to over there. ( no offense intended to members, but it is what it is )
Old 08-15-2022, 12:20 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DenVogel
How fragile are the CDI units from 911T / 914-6 engines? Is there a way for the DIY mechanic to evaluate them out of the car?

We don't know the history of the engine. I do know that it hasn't been in a car for over 10 years. We're going to start tearing the engine for a complete rebuild in a couple weeks, and now would be the time to do something with the CDI (among other things) if warranted.

A 914World forum member mentioned Ashlocktech does CDI restorations, but I will spend the $350 elsewhere it's not needed for this.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

P.S. For these 911T / 914-6 engine topics, I never quite know whether to post them here or over on 914World board. I hope I'm not offending anyone by cross-posting.
Check here for more competitive pricing and a 5 year warranty, & no charge for testing;

https://www.systemsc.com/products.htm

Note: The early Bosch CDI (3-pin) rarely fails unless the battery is over-charged, or reverse jumped.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Last edited by systemsc; 08-15-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:48 AM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Loren knows his stuff. And yes the units are very reliable.

Quick Reply: CDI Eval - Capacitor Discharge Ignition