Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 911S almost on its way.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 12:26 AM
almico
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 1976 911S almost on its way.

I just consummated a deal on a 1976 911S. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it from Spokane, WA to NJ, but that's another story. I asked the seller about driving it back and he said he wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Sounds like quite the adventure.

The car is mostly original @ 115k showing on the odometer with a recent glass out repaint to the original color. Lower valve covers upgraded to 930s. Oil fed hydraulic timing chain tensioners added, etc. Not sure about valve guides, but this car does not have the "delavar" cylinder head studs.

My question is about the exhaust. It was a CA car and still has all the original
smog gear. I'm in NJ and don't need it at all. Cars built before 1996 are completely exempt from inspection. So can I remove all that stuff without offending the "only original once" car gods?

The A/C is another issue. It has newer lines, but it still doesn't currently work. The condenser fills the entire space under the grill. Although I like my AC on those hot, muggy NJ summer days, I'm leaning toward just pulling all that bulk out. But then what do I do with the add-on venting under the dash?

​​​​​​​
Old 08-07-2022, 12:37 AM
almico
Instructor

Thanks for the tip on the knee pads, Mark. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...knee-pads.html

Are we sure my car is cork?

Last edited by almico; 08-07-2022 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:39 AM
abossana
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I was a bidder on that car today and was ready to hit the buy it now button and apparently you beat me to it ! congrats
Old 08-07-2022, 12:56 AM
almico
Instructor

Originally Posted by abossana
I was a bidder on that car today and was ready to hit the buy it now button and apparently you beat me to it ! congrats
Thanks! I'll let you know after I get it whether congratulations are in order. I don't know if I'm more excited or nervous.

I had been watching that car since it was listed. It sounded like everything I was looking for and looks well sorted. I was just going to BIN then, but I figured if I could save a few bucks it might pay for shipping. I was driving this morning with the auction up on my phone when a couple of bids came in within an hour left. The number was getting close to the BIN price and the reserve was still not met, so with hands shaking and my heart in my throat, I pushed the button. I would have hated to loose it for a couple of grand.

Here is the listing if anyone is interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13418348677...QAAOSwM-ti4X4u

It seems some of the issues with this vintage have been addressed, but I'm not sure about valve guides. I've read the originals were copper and the fix is bronze, but it's a big job. Not sure if it was done.

Anyway, stay tuned...

Last edited by almico; 08-07-2022 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:17 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Nice! It looked like cork, but I see from the eBay ad that the interior is cinnamon. I don't think that is very common, you are probably going to have a hard time finding knee pads in that color. Black will look fine, and was probably original.

There are some threads here on good transporters. Intercity Lines is the default. Just make sure it is enclosed transport.

You can definitely get rid of all the original smog gear - most of us do that, unless you have a perfect concours car. You can get rid of the air pump in the engine compartment, the plumbing for the air injection, and the thermal reactors. Challenge with those will be removing the nuts without breaking any exhaust studs. Use lots of heat and go slowly. Replace them with SSI stainless heat exchangers or similar.

The old AC doesn't do much. You can remove the compressor in the engine compartment and all the hoses. Take the vents out from under the dash and replace with a used set of knee pads (try the Pelican Buy and Sell board). The evaporator will be in the smugglers box, pull that out too. Unfortunately that will leave a big hole in the side of the smugglers box that you can leave for now but eventually you probably should have it welded up. This is what I did with the AC system in my 1979, and I still have the big hole. Should save you over 100 lbs.

Mark
Old 08-07-2022, 09:17 AM
djb25
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by almico
Are we sure my car is cork?
It's pretty much impossible to say for certain looking at a photo, but that doesn't look like cork.

At least, that doesn't look like the cork in my '77. Cork is darker and more even, although those door panels look to be vinyl, so they may have a slightly different hue to them.

Yours also seem to almost have a marbling or something to the color - I've definitely seen that interior before.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:40 AM
almico
Instructor

Color me crazy, but I’m feeling the need for an adventure and a vacation. I’m actually considering driving this car back from Spokane to NJ. I know…an ordeal in a 560SEL let alone a ‘76 911. The seller claims he wouldn’t hesitate driving this car anywhere. I have concerns.

So let’s say the car was fit for the task and play a game; How would you go about preparing to be prepared to drive a car like this 2500 miles in 5-6-7 days? Should be an interesting thought experiment.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:47 PM
almico
Instructor

The seller just emailed me this vid of him and Jack Morris, the Porsche expert that inspected this ride:

Old 08-07-2022, 01:04 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would definitely consider it, especially if I had a copilot to enjoy the journey with. The listing didn't say anything about the age of the tires - you'll want to replace them if they are more than 8 yrs old or so. Get the oil changed, and make sure you have 2 or 3 extra quarts to bring with you. Expect to use as much as 1 quart/1000 miles, maybe a little more.

Are you familiar with all the 911 oil level quirks? I posted some tips in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...eeds-help.html

Make sure the tool kit is complete with lug wrench, fan pulley wrench, fan nut wrench. Probably bring an extra fan belt and know how to change it. Tire plug kit, and a mini compressor. Make sure the car has the factory jack, consider a small scissor jack instead. AAA with the flatbed towing option.

Start a thread to track your progress, here and at Pelican (because there are more users there). Good chance if you run into trouble that someone will be nearby and willing to help you out.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 08-07-2022, 09:09 PM
almico
Instructor

I have the seller looking into getting the thermal reactors removed before I drive this car back to NJ. I looked on Pelican and it appears SSI stainless heat exchangers are no longer available for this year?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...91_pg2.htm#buy
Old 08-07-2022, 09:21 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

aaa w flatbed option is smart. Aaa rv premier is what I use… more money but gives you a free Flatbed tow up to 200 miles….
Old 08-07-2022, 09:40 PM
almico
Instructor

Originally Posted by wolfgang1
aaa w flatbed option is smart. Aaa rv premier is what I use… more money but gives you a free Flatbed tow up to 200 miles….
Thanks! I just signed up. Got the premium plan w/motorcycle, RV option.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:38 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by almico
I have the seller looking into getting the thermal reactors removed before I drive this car back to NJ. I looked on Pelican and it appears SSI stainless heat exchangers are no longer available for this year?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...91_pg2.htm#buy
I don't think that is accurate. You'll have to check and see if you need the thick flanges (long exhaust studs) or thin flanges. Stoddard's and Sierra Madre have them. https://www.stoddard.com/sic21102300...02100-sic.html, https://sierramadrecollection.com/Heat-Exchangers-c867/

Not cheap though, you'll need a new oil line and muffler as well.

Mark
Old 08-08-2022, 05:09 PM
almico
Instructor

Any alternatives to SSI heat exchangers? I'm awaiting a quote from Sierra Madre and anticipating a huge number for the heat exchangers, SS muffler and oil line(s).
Old 08-08-2022, 05:22 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Spokane to NJ, thats a long drive in the summer in air cooled 911... your gonna need a cooler. Its hot all across the country. Ask me how I know. It will def be an adventure. Make sure the cigarette lighter works for your phone.

I like this phone mount. https://www.rennline.com/exactfit-ma...t-sku-pm01-06/

Quick Reply: 1976 911S almost on its way.