Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 911S almost on its way.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 01:06 PM
almico
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar77
I’ll gladly take the entire CA compliant parts.
heat exchangers, thermal reactors, EGR system, air pump, abs muffler. I have a nice setup but unfortunately it’s frowned upon here in CA. I have a 77 that is need CA smog.
I hadn't really thought about what to do with the take-offs yet. The air pump is beltless and non-functional, but the shop didn't seem keen on removing it. I also have mixed feeling about modifying an otherwise original car. My car goes into the shop next week and I will talk to the owner about what he thinks.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:52 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

One thing you should make sure the shop does is remove the air injection plumbing and seal the holes in the heads with screw plugs. That can only be done when the exhaust is off the car (otherwise you need to cut it off). You can still save the parts (I still have mine in a box), but when they take off the thermal reactors, that air injection plumbing should be removed as well. You could still leave the air pump in place if you want the original look.

Mark
Old 08-21-2022, 03:39 PM
Pcar77
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
almico,

Pcar77 was looking to get his 1977 smog-compliant over on Pelican, and I suggested this thread where he might be able to buy your old parts. But you will want to let the shop know - otherwise they may cut off the reactors to make it easier to remove the exhaust nuts.

Mark
Thanks for the link Mark! I’ll continue to piece together all the parts I need, but it’ll be best if I can get a complete set from someone looking to offload everything all at once.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:04 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 525 Posts

VERY VERY NICE
CONGRTS ON YOUR 911
Old 06-10-2024, 07:42 PM
almico
Instructor

It's been a while so just checking in with an update. Remember that fuel pump relay fuse issue I had on the way back from Spokane? Well it reared its head again. The car has been running great (I thought) until the other day when it just died. I tried to restart and it would kick over, but then immediately shut down. If I tried to start it right away, nothing. If i waited a minute it would start and just die. I could hear the fuel pump whining, but not continuously. No fuel smell while cranking and cranking though, which led me to the fuel pump relay again. I took off the fuse block cover and as soon as I touched the wire going to the top of the fuse it just snapped right off. I don't think it was even connected - just resting there. Well I cleaned out the broken wire from the lug, stripped the wire back and hooked it up...vrooooom. I was off again.

But that's not the best part of the story. This car has not run so well since I bought it. I always thought there was still a bit of a vacuum leak that i've been to lazy to track down. The car still hesitated and shimmied a bit when trying to maintain speed at low RPMs. But now!!!! It's like a whole new car. I guess you don't know what you don't know. I'm tickled. I don't want to drive home anymore. I just want to keep going.

But that's not even the best part of the story. I decided to check a bucket list item and make the 11 hour drive to the Tail of the Dragon and combine it with a Nashville vacation. Never been. I could take the 993 or the 997, but no, I'm taking this ole girl. Stay tuned for pics and a vid or two...if i don't wind up off a cliff.

Last edited by almico; 06-12-2024 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by almico:
GTS Sully (06-11-2024), Mark Salvetti (06-12-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 09:33 AM
almico
Instructor

Originally Posted by abossana
I was a bidder on that car today and was ready to hit the buy it now button and apparently you beat me to it ! congrats
Seems we have a copy cat.

Quick Reply: 1976 911S almost on its way.