Oil Tank Sender Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:22 AM
PaulCarrera
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Tank Sender Gasket Replacement

1986 Carrera

Had the rear wheel off and noticed a bit of weeping around the oil tank level sender so I’m going to replace the gasket and wondering where the level would sit when the engine is cold. Hoping to not have to drain the oil otherwise I’ll just do it at the next oil change

thanks
Old 05-02-2022, 10:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

i did mine a couple years ago and i dont remember draining the oil. also when you check cold the level is off the bottom of the dipstick so would tell me its way down. i wouldnt be too worried about it ..
Old 05-02-2022, 11:01 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

I know in an SC tank if the oil is at the bottom mark of the dipstick it will be just below the sender hole and you can change the sender. Halfway up and you will lose about a quart. YMMV
Old 05-02-2022, 11:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheTorch
I know in an SC tank if the oil is at the bottom mark of the dipstick it will be just below the sender hole and you can change the sender. Halfway up and you will lose about a quart. YMMV
That may make sense as i burn about a quart every 5K miles and i don't add obviously if i have an oil change coming up . I would likely have done it then ( as you have to take the back wheel off ) , then dropped it back onto the wheels to do the oil change when done.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:16 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Also note there are different amounts of travel on different senders. My sender from '78 has less travel than the sender my friends '70 new replacement sender, which was interesting and may be related a change somewhere I believe in the 70s to a different dipstick.
Not sure about 3.2 tank, though I suspect it's the same capacity and shape as the SC. The SC sender I have it the upper one below.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Also note there are different amounts of travel on different senders. My sender from '78 has less travel than the sender my friends '70 new replacement sender, which was interesting and may be related a change somewhere I believe in the 70s to a different dipstick.
Not sure about 3.2 tank, though I suspect it's the same capacity and shape as the SC. The SC sender I have it the upper one below.

i replaced my sender about 12 years ago and the one i ordered required a different dipstick which oi ordered .. what was very interesting was the max line on dipstick was a lot less than my old one. The oil level gauge also matched this perfectly. My thinking at the time was this was done by Porsche due to the oil spilover when at the full mark during high G turns causing smoking. I always fill to the max now an NEVER worry about over filling.
Name:  PcfxBmK.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  79.9 KB
Old 05-02-2022, 07:06 PM
PaulCarrera
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-02-2022, 07:28 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
i replaced my sender about 12 years ago and the one i ordered required a different dipstick which oi ordered .. what was very interesting was the max line on dipstick was a lot less than my old one. The oil level gauge also matched this perfectly. My thinking at the time was this was done by Porsche due to the oil spilover when at the full mark during high G turns causing smoking. I always fill to the max now an NEVER worry about over filling.
very interesting. (sentence deleted. I didn't read carefully).
Thanks for sharing. I have the old one.

Last edited by TheTorch; 05-02-2022 at 07:39 PM. Reason: my bad

Quick Reply: Oil Tank Sender Gasket Replacement