Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ceramic vers glass fuses on olders cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:49 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ceramic vers glass fuses on olders cars

A question about what fuses is better to use on cars that came with ceramic fuses as they are getting harder to find. Seems as if a while I put am eye on a post telling not to use glass fuses on older cars the limit it blow is diff... plus looking at the fuses one is pointed one is flat.. Any good info on this please
Old 03-14-2022, 12:39 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by glass fuses. What is usually recommended is to use true ceramic fuses rather than the plastic ones that are more common now.

There are also a couple of vendors that sell replacement fuse panels so you can convert to modern blade fuses. Classic Retrofit is one, also ReFuze. You can get both from Pelican.

Mark
Old 03-14-2022, 09:11 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I converted my fuse panel to blade fuses many years ago ... keep in mind that the original design is 30+ years old !
Pretty straightforward and a good upgrade in my opinion , unless you're determined to leave your car in it's original condition.

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-15-2022, 10:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

yeah i think the blade fuse upgrade is an outstanding upgrade. Because my car is all original i'm fighting it . But sure is a common sense mod.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:56 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Wondering what you’re doing? I have not blown a single fuse during the years I’ve had my 911.
You americans want to improve everything and you only improve sellers bank account!
You just need sometimes to check that there is no oxidation in fuse contacts, rotate them.
The ceramic fuses are still plenty available, check 356 suppliers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vane:
9114609048 (03-20-2022), oldskewel (03-21-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Juha ...

We're Canadian !
Ceramic fuses are getting harder to find here and they're getting pretty expensive compared to blade fuses.

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-16-2022, 10:51 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Vane
You americans want to improve everything and you only improve sellers bank account!
As an American I have to agree with this, and have been guilty of this a number of times. Sometimes regrettably. On the other hand, for many of us, this is part of the fun of owning a vintage car. Perhaps if we spent more time in saunas and less in our garages / labs / studios, we would lose this desire.

Trading money for a chance to make something better / try something new / learn something we didn't know, etc., even if the trade turns out to be a mistake or a waste of money and time seems ...to be in our national DNA. Regret, on the other hand, not so much.

I leave you with these thoughts:

Old 03-17-2022, 05:53 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Perhaps I should stop...
Upgrading is fine if there is a reason, but like the so famous 3.2 valve cover upgrade is caused mainly, in my humble opinion,
because users don't use a torque wrench to tight the nuts. People strongly believe that they have a magic hand and can tighten
fasteners to equal tightness, a big BS. If you don't believe try.
But of course, everybody do as they please, I'm not saying here yes/no, only recommend to stop for a moment and think; is this necessary?

What comes to the difficulties to get these ceramic fuses, I have no idea about parts suppliers in Canada, but I know your
south neighbour, USA have plenty of them available. And if you frequently need to replace fuses, you should look into it.
The new style flat fuses are better than the old ceramic fuses and their holder, but they are by no means crap.

I like also to tinker in the garage almost as much as relaxing in the sauna, but in a 63 and 85 car there is always something to
do without upgrading. So far my 85 has only the steering rack and window lifter as they came from Zuffenhausen, everything else
has been opened and service. I'm now more working with my 356.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:45 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Juha ...

We're Canadian !
Ceramic fuses are getting harder to find here and they're getting pretty expensive compared to blade fuses.

Cheers
Phil
amazon.ca

Quick Reply: ceramic vers glass fuses on olders cars