Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Compartment Fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 02:40 AM
jordan obrien
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Fuses?

Hi all, new here with a 1977 porsche 911, engine was swapped to a 79 911 3.0 and theres just a lot going on in the engine relay area that I cant quite decipher. Missing fuses, wires not connected etc etc. Added some photos so you can see what I'm talking about. Theres no AC in the car, but i'm curious as to what these fuses are for, and the wiring as well? Or if they arent needed at all which is fine as well. I'm in the process of getting a book for it but in the meantime if anyone has some info that would be amazing! Also trying to get the tach to work. Other than that, the car runs fine with no issues. Thanks again!

missing fuses?

random wires with no home?

Jordan
Old 03-06-2022, 09:32 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Not too sure about the missing wiring , but i would definitely clean up what is currently there ... it seems like there's
some corrosion on the terminals and that's not a good thing.I would also try to source the missing cover as you don't want to expose
those terminals either !

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-06-2022, 02:05 PM
jordan obrien
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Phil! Have a cover here already so that should be good, I'll give the terminals and area a good cleaning today after I'm done adjusting the valves was just wondering what all the missing fuses were actually for, and the wiring. Will do more research here on the forums! Thanks
Old 03-07-2022, 01:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

if i remember correctly it tells you on the inside of the cover.... My car is in storage so i cant look..
i know one is the rear engine blower.

looking at one on line i think says , sportomatic, magnetic clutch ( so AC i would imagine ) and window heating ( blower

Last edited by theiceman; 03-07-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:46 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Right, these fuses/relays are for the rear engine heater blower and the rear defrost. Round black relay is for the heater blower. You don't seem to have a blower (the hose should connect to the plastic piece visible at far right of your first photo). The large square silver relay is for the 2-stage rear defrost.

Top two fuses are for the blower, the top one should be a yellow 5 amp, and the middle one should be a blue 25 amp. The bottom fuse is for the defroster, that should also be a blue 25 amp.

I think the stray wires in your second photo should go to the missing blower. Not sure about the three stray wires under your blue fuse.

Mark

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Fuses?