Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Numeric Racing short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022 | 11:04 AM
Ciprian
Track Day

Default Numeric Racing short throw shifter

Hello 911 owners !

I own a 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 and I'm about to order a Numeric Racing short throw shifter 2mm (softer) spring.

Since the seller has a side note : "parts are legal only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway" , I'm asking your feedback (those who tested) if I should order the item having in mind I want to get rid of the current (common) issues when shifting gears (mainly difficult time engaging second and long throw).

I live in Europe and I would order from a German supplier.

Thanks in advance,
Ciprian
Old 01-11-2022 | 05:57 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

did you install new bushings? The most important thing with any of these shifters (OEM included) is the to remove and replace to newer bushings (there are 3 of them: 1. The shifter 2. Shifter guide rod 3. coupler). Also, adjusting the coupler is extremely important. You need to find out why your shifting is sloppy, buying a new shifter will not cure your problem if your bushings are worn out. Honestly, the stock 915 shifter is more than adequate with a spring return to the 3-4 plane.

There is a guy in Germany that sells the spring. His instagram is here: @azul_minerva
Here is his spring: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nt-spring.html

Goodluck.

PS: His note of "for racing only... etc" sounds more like a lawyers disclaimer, I wouldn't worry about installing it for street purpose.

Last edited by redridge; 01-11-2022 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ciprian (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 01:59 PM
veduta
Instructor

I just installed mine a few weeks ago. My 79' SC also had a little difficulty sliding into 2nd and 3rd under heavy load and I can't say that the issue has gone away with the Numeric shifter. The shifting however is very precise and the throw is much shorter. I opted for the 2mm or "lighter" spring and I'm very glad I did. As it is the 2mm spring is very stiff and I wouldn't want it any stiffer than it is now. It has taken me some getting used to but the more I drive with it, the more I appreciate it.. Redridge is absolutely right that the biggest difference in gear engagement will be the replacement of the bushings and coupler and the Numeric shifter will come with all of those items. I can't imagine any one not appreciating the improvement in the shifting experience.
Ciprian (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 04:03 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by veduta
I just installed mine a few weeks ago. My 79' SC also had a little difficulty sliding into 2nd and 3rd under heavy load and I can't say that the issue has gone away with the Numeric shifter. The shifting however is very precise and the throw is much shorter. I opted for the 2mm or "lighter" spring and I'm very glad I did. As it is the 2mm spring is very stiff and I wouldn't want it any stiffer than it is now. It has taken me some getting used to but the more I drive with it, the more I appreciate it.. Redridge is absolutely right that the biggest difference in gear engagement will be the replacement of the bushings and coupler and the Numeric shifter will come with all of those items. I can't imagine any one not appreciating the improvement in the shifting experience.
Fantastic review! Glad you are enjoying it!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:41 PM
Ciprian
Track Day

Hi veduta,

Thanks for feedback. Colud you please clarify : "it has taken me some time getting used". I ask because I read other posts where someone claim "higher physical effort". If the shifting is shorter and very precise, why should I worry about higher physical effort and why getting used considerong shorter throw and precision ?

Thanks again,
Ciprian
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:48 PM
Ciprian
Track Day

Originally Posted by veduta
Hi veduta, Why should I worry about getting used with a shifter which has a shorter throw and is more precise ?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2022 | 04:47 PM
veduta
Instructor

Hi Ciprian, sorry it has taken a while to get back on this forum. I wouldn't say it is something you need to worry about but it did take me some getting used to. I certainly takes more effort to pull and push out of each gear than before. The throw is also very short and more than once in the beginning I felt certain I was not all the way in gear only to to slowly let off the clutch and sure enough I was all the way in. Because the new coupler combined with the tightness of the shifter is so precise, I would imagine if your transmission has any minor issues, they will only be exacerbated with this new piece of hardware. It was a little tough to slide into 2nd and 3rd for me prior to installing the Numeric shifter and it still is and sometimes a little tougher now. I also use to be able to slide into 1st from 2nd when rolling to a stop in traffic or at a stop sign and I can't really do that anymore without getting a little grind so it has taught me to come to a complete stop (the way you should) before down shifting into 1st.

The coupler is also a little more difficult to adjust than the original style, at least it was for me. I would still consider myself a novice wrencher but this was the only part of the install that I felt challenged by. I'm local to Florida and not terribly far from Numeric's shop and emailed a few times to see if I could swing by and maybe get a little help dialing in the coupler but I never heard back from them. I offered to pay but still it would have been nice to have them respond.

All that having been said, there is ahuge increase in precision from the unit and I have grown to really appreciate the short throw. It is a very tight feel and I really like it. And like I said before, I can't imagine anyone being dissapointed after installing a Numeric shifter. Good Luck!
Ciprian (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022 | 12:45 AM
Ciprian
Track Day

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, helps very much to make my decision.

All the best,
Ciprian
Old 01-25-2022 | 01:12 PM
TonyVan
Instructor

I find it strange that the Numeric folks are around whenever someone praises their shifter but the common issue seems to be they don’t respond to questions. I purchased one when they first came out. Had difficulty installing, as their YouTube video was incorrect in several places. Tried contacting them via their web page and also got crickets. The unit is still sitting in my garage and the Rennshift is still in the car. Support is the measure of a company’s worth.
Tony
Old 01-25-2022 | 03:16 PM
Ciprian
Track Day

Originally Posted by TonyVan
I find it strange that the Numeric folks are around whenever someone praises their shifter but the common issue seems to be they don’t respond to questions. I purchased one when they first came out. Had difficulty installing, as their YouTube video was incorrect in several places. Tried contacting them via their web page and also got crickets. The unit is still sitting in my garage and the Rennshift is still in the car. Support is the measure of a company’s worth.
Tony
Hi Tony,

clear for me, no Numeric Racing in my car. There are a lot of complaints and the shifter is not easy to use.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2022 | 11:06 AM
veduta
Instructor

Tony, I will agree with you that the you tube instructional video is a mess. Especially when it comes to the coupler adjustment. Ciprian, I wouldn't let that deter you from getting one. I'm a DIY'er when it comes to items like this but if you were going to have it professionally installed I'm certain you would be happy with the finished product. I love the precision shifting more every time I drive it. If you are someone who struggles with the vagueness of the stock 915 shifter this will change everything for the better.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing short throw shifter