Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Dave DeVenny
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light switch

I am having trouble with the brake lights on my '89 911 Carrera. I have to apply a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to get the lights to come on. I have searched the forums and found several discussion on this topic. They all suggest replacing the brake light switches. I called a local Porsche mechanic and he said that I probably did not need to replace the switches. They just needed to be adjusted. I have seen no mention of adjusting these switches in the forums. Does anyone know anything about adjusting the brake light switches. I need to do something in a hurry as it will take several days to get the new switches.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:50 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the '89 is like my '86, there is no adjustment. There are two switches located on the brake master cylinder. Replace them both. They are cheap as well, under $10 each. It takes about an hour to do the job. I suggest bleeding the brake system when done. (I believe VWs used the same switch and they are available in most import parts stores.)

Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Dave DeVenny
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I thought from reading the forums. I was just a little confused when the mechanic said that he could adjust the switches. I think I will be able to pick up the switches in the morning and hopefully save the weekend. Too nice here to let the car set in the garage all weekend.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Brake light switch