78 Targa AC help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 10:18 AM
ph2426
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 78 Targa AC help please

Good morning all.
i have decided to take a look at why the AC and fan do not turn on in my SC. I understand there is no belt on the ac compressor but I am also curious if the front condenser is missing or if any other parts are missing. I believe the relay and fuse is also missing but it doesn’t look as though there is anything for the relay to plug into.

If anyone can shed some light that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!
Old 11-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Good morning! That relay panel is interesting. You have two, the red fuel pump and what is the black one for? Power windows or fog lights? Who knows what might have been done electrically.

My 1979 SC had dealer-installed AC. It had vents under the dash and no front condenser. So I suspect it wasn't unusual for dealer-installed systems to omit the front condenser.

I totally removed the AC and replaced the under-dash vents with knee pads. It's possible that a previous owner of your car did the same, but didn't bother to remove the evaporator, compressor, and all the hoses.

Mark
Old 11-17-2021, 11:33 AM
ph2426
Advanced

The black relay is the horn and the red is the fuel pump. I only have two vents and nothing under the dash.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:24 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As far as I know, there has to be an AC relay. But you don't even have a socket for it. I think you have to start looking for wires, starting with the controls on your center console. Someone may have taken all that stuff out, so impossible for us to tell what is missing and what is still there.

There should also be a wire to the AC compressor to control the clutch. You don't seem to have that either, although maybe it's back there somewhere.

Your car looks like the AC was installed better than mine. My center console is empty, and the vents and ducting that were fastened to the underside of the dash had the controls. This arrangement was more commonly seen earlier in the 1970's I think. Not sure why mine was that way, I just assumed that's what the dealer did.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Mark
Old 11-17-2021, 09:33 PM
ph2426
Advanced

Thank you for your input mark. It is much appreciated!
Old 11-18-2021, 08:44 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ph2426
Thank you for your input mark. It is much appreciated!
you are missing primary AC fuse, position 2, 2nd from windshield, should be 25 amp blue

below is common SC AC schematic

Last edited by griffiths; 11-18-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:29 PM
ph2426
Advanced

Thank you for your input. I will order a 25 amp blue fuse today. I do not see the front condenser in my car. Is it supposed to be in the front trunk compartment? Also do I need to add a relay as well to the fuse box. The far right relay box (furthest from windshield) is empty, but it says it is supposed to have an AC relay. Thank you again for your help.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:44 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

If you had a front condenser there would be a black plastic blower box adjacent to the battery (where your tool bag is), and

the lower AC hose connection on the receiver drier would be a 45 degree fitting rather than a downward 90 degree fitting.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:45 AM
ph2426
Advanced

Hello Griffiths,
Thank you. Is it possible the car never came with the front condenser? I guess I just didn't know if it may have been removed. I'm sorry for my ignorance but is the receiver dryer the part in the drivers front wheel well? Does this mean that with the fuse installed and the belt on the compressor all parts are at least present? thank you so much again!
Old 11-19-2021, 12:14 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Check out this old thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...r-missing.html

I was thinking that your system was dealer installed because the front condenser is missing, but there are clues in this thread that the front condenser was optional, even for factory AC. The OP in that thread is also missing a relay in the fuse box like you. And your receiver/dryer is on the left where it belongs. My system was really butchered by the dealer, the receiver/dryer was on the right, and they hacked a huge hole in the smuggler box for the evaporator.

If you had the front condenser installed at one time but then removed, you would have a hole in the pan where your photo shows the tool kit. The condenser faced down, and there would be a screen and a metal bar to protect it underneath.

So maybe you are fairly complete, and factory. Looking at the Griffiths wiring diagram, the main purpose of the relay in the fuse box was to run the front fan on the condenser (which you don't have), and also the clutch on the compressor. There is also a relay in the smugglers box. So you may not need the relay in the fuse box, and they came up with a different way of energizing the clutch (maybe off the relay in the smugglers box).

Before you install the fuse try to follow the wires and make sure they are connected somewhere. Then give it a try! Just keep in mind that those early systems never worked well. Griffiths makes a great aftermarket system that many people here use.

Keep us posted on what happens when you try powering it up.

Mark
Old 11-19-2021, 12:17 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

"Is it possible the car never came with the front condenser?" Most likely never had one.
This is kind what one looks like
https://tm2ds3p93zs2zbag83par8d1-wpe...tcondenser.jpg

When they are removed there is a small rectangular hole in the bottom of the tub in the trunk adjacent to the battery (unless someone does a patch job that is better than the factory).

I'm sorry for my ignorance but is the receiver dryer the part in the drivers front wheel well? Yes, that is the drier, looks like miniature sonar buoy tube washed up on the beach.

Does this mean that with the fuse installed and the belt on the compressor all parts are at least present? If you are asking me that question under oath I will have to refer to an Oliver North response. But, lets assume the belt was taken
off because someone thought they could get better mpg (ask them how that worked out), and the fuse was pulled because in the worse case it toasted or in the least case someone was paranoid.

Thank you so much again! Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, stop claiming ignorance.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:52 PM
ph2426
Advanced

Thank you very much. That was very helpful!
Old 11-19-2021, 12:53 PM
ph2426
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Check out this old thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...r-missing.html

I was thinking that your system was dealer installed because the front condenser is missing, but there are clues in this thread that the front condenser was optional, even for factory AC. The OP in that thread is also missing a relay in the fuse box like you. And your receiver/dryer is on the left where it belongs. My system was really butchered by the dealer, the receiver/dryer was on the right, and they hacked a huge hole in the smuggler box for the evaporator.

If you had the front condenser installed at one time but then removed, you would have a hole in the pan where your photo shows the tool kit. The condenser faced down, and there would be a screen and a metal bar to protect it underneath.

So maybe you are fairly complete, and factory. Looking at the Griffiths wiring diagram, the main purpose of the relay in the fuse box was to run the front fan on the condenser (which you don't have), and also the clutch on the compressor. There is also a relay in the smugglers box. So you may not need the relay in the fuse box, and they came up with a different way of energizing the clutch (maybe off the relay in the smugglers box).

Before you install the fuse try to follow the wires and make sure they are connected somewhere. Then give it a try! Just keep in mind that those early systems never worked well. Griffiths makes a great aftermarket system that many people here use.

Keep us posted on what happens when you try powering it up.

Mark
Thanks and I will post on here after I find out what happens!
Old 11-19-2021, 12:55 PM
ph2426
Advanced

Originally Posted by griffiths
"Is it possible the car never came with the front condenser?" Most likely never had one.
This is kind what one looks like
https://tm2ds3p93zs2zbag83par8d1-wpe...tcondenser.jpg

When they are removed there is a small rectangular hole in the bottom of the tub in the trunk adjacent to the battery (unless someone does a patch job that is better than the factory).

I'm sorry for my ignorance but is the receiver dryer the part in the drivers front wheel well? Yes, that is the drier, looks like miniature sonar buoy tube washed up on the beach.

Does this mean that with the fuse installed and the belt on the compressor all parts are at least present? If you are asking me that question under oath I will have to refer to an Oliver North response. But, lets assume the belt was taken
off because someone thought they could get better mpg (ask them how that worked out), and the fuse was pulled because in the worse case it toasted or in the least case someone was paranoid.

Thank you so much again! Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, stop claiming ignorance.
Thank you for your help. It is appreciated.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM
ph2426
Advanced

I just added the new belt to the compressor and this black wire is not connected anywhere. Could someone please let me know where it goes? Thank you.

Quick Reply: 78 Targa AC help please