Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My stolen Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021 | 11:02 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Default My stolen Porsche

It is with a broken heart that I'm reporting my car stolen from storage, in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Likely it's gone very far from that location, but thought I'd post, if by any chance it was seen on a trailer somewhere. What are the chances of it being noticed? I'd imagine the thieves would sell it as parts or change color and VIN, but one must hope somehow they get caught

It's a '79 SC with a '96 TT S body kit and GT2 Wing
  • VIN 9119300441
  • All black/yellow momo seats, steering wheel, shifter, and yellow Shroth 3-point harness.
  • Interior in the rear still Tan/Brown
  • Original color under the carpet is green
  • Headliner still beige
  • Some engine components powder coated yellow
  • Powder coated yellow brake calipers
  • Crack on left front fender (side impact)
  • Front bumper was removed for maintenance when it was stolen.

Also need an attorney in the Tampa Bay area if you have a recommendation, as there is neglect and breach of contract involved that led to this loss

Last edited by Tarek9xx; 10-17-2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2021 | 03:19 AM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Adding to this thread: Have strong suspicion and reason to believe specific folks are involved or facilitated. What kind of lawyer do I need, and do you recommend one in the Tampa Bay area? Thanks in advance, and please let me know if this is not the appropriate place to post this
Old 10-14-2021 | 09:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

heart breaking post to be sure.

I am no expert but just from what i know no one steals Porsches of this vintage much anymore. If they are stolen it seems to be for joy rides more than anything and you have much higher likely hood of your Honda Civic or Mercedes SUV to be stolen . All that to say you are probably on the right track if you think specific individuals are involved.

I would say definitely post on Pelican if you have not already.

Old 10-15-2021 | 08:22 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
heart breaking post to be sure.

I am no expert but just from what i know no one steals Porsches of this vintage much anymore. If they are stolen it seems to be for joy rides more than anything and you have much higher likely hood of your Honda Civic or Mercedes SUV to be stolen . All that to say you are probably on the right track if you think specific individuals are involved.

I would say definitely post on Pelican if you have not already.
Thanks. Yes I've posted on Pelican, and there is more conversation on it there.

Struggling with knowing an understanding the legal options at this point. Having difficulties finding a lawyer who is not too busy with other cases or one familiar with the relevant statutes in my area
Old 10-16-2021 | 07:14 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Sorry to hear of your loss but could there be a back story to the 'theft'? I'm wondering why you would need a lawyer....it's a police matter and you are the victim. If the car is somehow part of a civil dispute then it gets foggy. Is the car insured? It'll be difficult to hide.
Old 10-16-2021 | 02:38 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daytonacoupe66
Sorry to hear of your loss but could there be a back story to the 'theft'? I'm wondering why you would need a lawyer....it's a police matter and you are the victim. If the car is somehow part of a civil dispute then it gets foggy. Is the car insured? It'll be difficult to hide.
All good questions, so I'll clarify and I'm open to any advice, and so I thank you in advance.
I will tell you now that if I had been more vigorous with security, I could have prevented it. But life happens and I made some mistakes....and the hardest type of forgiveness is the one you grant to yourself. Just doesn't justify the crime of others.
  • I have been renting 4 large garages for 12+ years
  • I show up one day to find that my locks were replaced and one of my cars, along with other items are missing, with clear signs of all items moved and gone through
  • It's not a sneaky job. The perpetrators had hauling equipment and a way to move very heavy items, and had plenty of time
  • Turns out the property owners sold the property and insisted they didn't know whose items are in those garages (According to the new owners)
  • Previous owners not returning phone calls
  • Also according to new owners, they requested information about me multiple times during their sale negotiations and the previous owners continued to insist my stuff was just abandoned, all the while cashing my checks
  • Just an FYI, my name and address and phone number are on the front of each and every payment I've made, and their manager does have my phone number
  • I was not notified of any change of ownership or issue at any time
  • Since it's difficult to prove exactly who stole, I see that the previous owners breached our contract and broke and entered, and either allowed my items to be stolen, or participated directly. I feel they have a lot to answer to
  • Also learned that some shady characters were involved in that company in the last 2 years, including a former manager with a rap sheet who was fired, but continued to frequent the location in spite of a restraining order against him, etc. (All allegations, of course)
  • Everything should have an "allegedly" statement attached, I know
  • I filed a police report, and the burglary is supposed to be investigated, but nothing has started yet. There are several leads that could zero in on the suspects, but the police have been very nonchalant and have not taken statements from potential witnesses, nor do they seem wanting to collect potential evidence or investigate vigorously, like for example the video cameras of the businesses next door, or taking statements from current and former owners.
  • No the car was not insured

Last edited by Tarek9xx; 10-16-2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added last bullet
Old 10-16-2021 | 07:00 PM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

A very unfortunate set of circumstances. I expect that the police may appear to be indifferent due to the civil ramifications and I now see why you are looking for a good lawyer. And no insurance. Ouch! A private security firm may have better luck confirming the disposition of your car for less $$ than a law firm. Sounds like an epic snafu.
Old 10-16-2021 | 07:17 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

The very very unfortunate part is the new owner really has no liability, IF they did the proper notices in the paper on "abandoned vehicles.. "
You could have found the garages empty ,, and had zero recourse if they followed the state laws about notification of seizure.

I have an acquaintance that travels a lot and is a car guy,, so he's studied up on this as he occasionally buys cars over seas.
When a car like this disappears, they tend to end up in countries that don't enforce much on property laws. One of the countries
he was working a job at a port, a large ship showed up and unloaded a ton of high end cars with European plates,
a crew showed up washed and cleaned the cars removed plates then there was an auction. The cars were sold for
cash, and no paperwork changed hands. Local told him it was the monthly delivery...
Old 10-16-2021 | 09:17 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daytonacoupe66
A very unfortunate set of circumstances. I expect that the police may appear to be indifferent due to the civil ramifications and I now see why you are looking for a good lawyer. And no insurance. Ouch! A private security firm may have better luck confirming the disposition of your car for less $$ than a law firm. Sounds like an epic snafu.
Thanks. The controversy is that some lawyers are telling me they cant help me because this looks like it'll be headed to the State Attorney's Office. (Though it's taking the slowest boat to China. No detective assigned yet, and not clear there would be one.) Still doesn't make sense to me that a letter of demand can't be drafted by a lawyer, about breach of contract, per FL statute 83.806, requesting my property back or compensation. It was one lawyer's suggestion, actually, and he felt I should do that myself, but we all know such letter must be written correctly by a lawyer in order for the other party to play ball. He didn't want to do that because it's "small potatoes" for him.
Old 10-16-2021 | 09:21 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
The very very unfortunate part is the new owner really has no liability, IF they did the proper notices in the paper on "abandoned vehicles.. "
You could have found the garages empty ,, and had zero recourse if they followed the state laws about notification of seizure.

I have an acquaintance that travels a lot and is a car guy,, so he's studied up on this as he occasionally buys cars over seas.
When a car like this disappears, they tend to end up in countries that don't enforce much on property laws. One of the countries
he was working a job at a port, a large ship showed up and unloaded a ton of high end cars with European plates,
a crew showed up washed and cleaned the cars removed plates then there was an auction. The cars were sold for
cash, and no paperwork changed hands. Local told him it was the monthly delivery...

They did proper notices to other tenants but not to me. And they're not claiming they did to me. But you're right. They're not liable for the actions of previous owners (I think), though they don't have it in writing that the previous owners allegedly didn't reveal my identity.

And yes the scenario of the car on a ship arriving to Mexico or Argentina has been in my nightmares every night
Old 10-16-2021 | 10:43 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

I've been wondering. Should there be a dedicated section (forum/topic or thread) for our stolen cars? It would serve as a central location to check and compare with examples we run across as we shop for cars or parts. Everyone benefits. Just a thought, and I know I wouldn't have thought of it if it wasn't for my recent experience
Old 10-17-2021 | 04:14 AM
Angie1
Track Day

You need a private investigator on this right now... Someone a little close to the ground and local to the "theft", if they know the area well they will know the actors, backgrounds and associations. If your car is in the county a good one could find it quickly, as basically you know where to start looking, and you might even have video. Your lawyer will help you find someone, but you are better calling a few yourself, the best scenario is they just get the car back with the help of a collection agency... next best is give the cars probable location to the police (but see how long that takes). Just having a wolf asking questions may get the car returned, offer him a solid bonus if the car is returned without lawyers in 5 days, but do not suggest any actions at all, just give him/her everything you know.

Last edited by Angie1; 10-17-2021 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2021 | 04:59 AM
Angie1
Track Day

Please understand I am not saying the police can't sort this out, it is just that police time is valuable and the chance of a prosecution is probably low, they may be dealing with other much more urgent cases. Also it is not unlikely the people who took your car may have been under the impression that they were "bending the law" only a bit, having had abandoned items before, if someone independent explains the seriousness of what they have done, they may realise that returning the car might just be the only sensible action and even welcome the chance to do it. Under no circumstances should you offer them any reward to return your car, and do not hesitate to involve the police asap if you find out about a deliberate crime. I am very far from an expert, I have just suffered a similar situation and resolved it. I wish you the best and hope you can post a good outcome here.

I guess I need to say: take all my words as pure fiction writing and do not follow any of this as advice or suggestion related to the above issue.
Old 10-18-2021 | 12:03 AM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Angie1
Please understand I am not saying the police can't sort this out, it is just that police time is valuable and the chance of a prosecution is probably low, they may be dealing with other much more urgent cases. Also it is not unlikely the people who took your car may have been under the impression that they were "bending the law" only a bit, having had abandoned items before, if someone independent explains the seriousness of what they have done, they may realise that returning the car might just be the only sensible action and even welcome the chance to do it. Under no circumstances should you offer them any reward to return your car, and do not hesitate to involve the police asap if you find out about a deliberate crime. I am very far from an expert, I have just suffered a similar situation and resolved it. I wish you the best and hope you can post a good outcome here.

I guess I need to say: take all my words as pure fiction writing and do not follow any of this as advice or suggestion related to the above issue.

Thanks for the insight, Angie! And yes it is my hope to get the word out to them and keep the door open for them to return it, before going too far in the process. And I agree on them possibly thinking they're "bending the law only a bit". In fact, that "only a bit" part seemed like the impression of the deputy who issued the police report, until I educated him on basic rights of tenants. I tried looking for PI's. So far everyone is specialized in investigating spouses or were not answering calls during the weekend. My hunch is that the car was taken to a different county, though, so I don't know if that makes it less doable or effective. We shall see what I find out. I would love to hear more on your experience, if you don't mind. Feel free to let me know via PM if you're willing to share, and thanks again for the insight
Old 10-18-2021 | 11:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

its sad ,but the reality is police have bigger fish to fry. The normal reaction from police is go call your insurance company. If you don't have insurance well , that's on you. The really frustrating part is criminals know this and unless its part of a bigger organized crime theft, it wont get much attention from anyone.

Quick Reply: My stolen Porsche