Looking for Opinions on Targa vs. Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:25 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

I agree with HarryD.

for me it's either coupe or cabrio. But if u wanna a cabrio to cruise around u may as well buy an SL
Old 04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Seriuosly now.... For some reason Targas are cheaper in the classified than coupes and cabrios. But that is just great because if you are indifferent you can get yourself a better car for the same amount of money. At the end of the day they are all great and it's down to a personal preference. I found the right Coupe and I got it... but I would be as happy with a well sorted Targa or Cabrio.
Good luck with your search, drive them all and go with the one that gives you the most special feeling.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:33 PM
MAS
Racer

I agree that the Targas are not as good looking as the coupes. But, I think we're talking about degrees of fabulousness here

The 911 Coupe is one of the best looking cars ever designed... and the Targa, a fraction less so. But still the Targa is a great looking mobile, in my (humble) opinion

-MAS
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally posted by MAS
I agree that the Targas are not as good looking as the coupes. But, I think we're talking about degrees of fabulousness here

The 911 Coupe is one of the best looking cars ever designed... and the Targa, a fraction less so. But still the Targa is a great looking mobile, in my (humble) opinion

-MAS
Agree - Sort of like having to pick between Heidi Klum and (insert your favorite supermodel here) It's all good! Oh and Targas are much better looking than coupes from the inside...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top restoration is a definate likely hood. Seals are really expensive, I just had one done. I just had Auto's International re-do my targa top. It came back absolutely as new but the cost including all new seals was 900.00. Targa's are cool, very fun on nice days but there is a definate cost esecially if you want to stay "Drip Free" on rainy nights.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
sandor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DanS911
I love my Targa. The roof itself doesn't leak a drop, but the windows don't always seal great at the top, I guess that counts. I put up with it here in Fla because I get plenty of "top off" time and have a garage for it to sleep in. As far as flex is concerned I don't think it's a big deal. I autoX every month and do at least 10 track days every year. I have the Targa Body bars, a camber strut brace, and a harness bar in it to at least give it my best effort to stiffen it up.
Did you notice a big difference with the targa body bars? i have been thinking about them, but am still unsure as to how much stiffness they can actually add.

sandor
Old 04-22-2004, 02:50 PM
MAS
Racer

"Did you notice a big difference with the targa body bars? i have been thinking about them, but am still unsure as to how much stiffness they can actually add."

From what I've heard, it's almost impossible to tell under normal and even quite hard driving conditions. Racing, is perhaps another matter... but then, I guess a proper roll cage would supply all of the extra stiffness needed.

-MAS
Old 04-22-2004, 03:48 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really didn't notice any difference. I think I did it on a "best efforts" kinda thing. It seems awful convenient that the seat belt mounting points would just happen to be located in just the right spot to stop the flex.
But what the heck I am very glad I put them in, they look cool and are not in the way.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions on Targa vs. Coupe