Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wrong shift coupler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 11:18 AM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Wrong shift coupler

I got home from work yesterday to see a much anticipated manila envelope from AZ Autohaus. Grabbed the package and went to finish the last link in my shifter rebuild/upgrade. I start with the install and realize the splined side is not sliding into the shifter shaft. I start prying on the slot to open the shaft up a bit. Still no go. Then I realize (glasses are your friend), the coupler has radial machining grooves rather than splines (axial machining). The part is made wrong I believe. It's also about .010" larger diameter, which doesn't help at all.
So now the question. Do I postpone another week to get to drive my new car?
I initially tried to replace the bushings on the coupler. But, the cast aluminum housing broke in the process. Now, I have a useless coupler with a good housing. Do I swap the correct splined portion into the new housing? Of course I risk breaking the new housing too. I think it's less likely, but the possibility is there. Then I'm out the $ for that part and still a week out. If I'm successful, I get to drive!!
What say you internet folks?
Pics of the stupid aftermarket coupler (new at the top old belowe):

Old 07-24-2021, 01:15 PM
moburki
Pro

Well, I swapped the shafts into the new housing. Success! Going for a drive, happy Saturday!
Old 07-26-2021, 03:43 PM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Good for you! I hope it works out but if it were me I might have returned and gotten the correct one. I certainly do understand the need for immediate gratification when a new part arrives though!
The following users liked this post:
moburki (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

always support the housing when driving in or out the bushings or pin .... guess you learned that the hard way huh.

The following users liked this post:
moburki (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 02:03 PM
moburki
Pro

I supported the housing with an appropriately sized socket for sure. The shaft was just really stubborn and was requiring some serious blows with the bfh. The new coupler came apart relatively easy.
The question I still have is; why was the replacement coupler shaft radially grooved?? makes no sense.. It isn't threaded, it's just grooves.
The shifter works so much better now. OEM short shift kit with all new bushings. Very little effort for a nice improvement.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

i would think it grabs better when you are tightening that clamp on it but who knows really.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:24 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

the coupler is exposed to axial as well as twisting forces

whether the groove direction is the result of engineering analysis and design revision is an open question

also, an aftermarket manf. could alter them to get around patents and IP

anyway, if it works it's groovey
Old 07-27-2021, 09:52 PM
moburki
Pro

doesn't work, doesn't fit in the stock shift tube. I didn't think about patents, but this is an oooold design. I feel like it's a mistake. The old piece was installed into the new cast housing and worked perfectly. Adjusted up in 5 minutes. I should talk to someone at AZ autohaus to let them know they have a bad part..

Quick Reply: Wrong shift coupler