911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help, how to drain fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021 | 03:00 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Default Need help, how to drain fuel tank?

Hello, I need some advice on how to drain the fuel tank on a 73.5.
My dad passed away last year and his car has been sitting for years when he was sick.
I need to get it out of storage and get it up and running.
What is the procedure to drain the fuel tank? Do I need to replace the fuel filter?
I tried searching but didn't find much.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is the last picture I have of him with is car.
RIP dad.

here is t
Old 07-11-2021 | 05:40 PM
myflat6
Drifting

I found it easiest to siphon it out. Bought cheap siphon kit from Harbor Freight.
Old 07-11-2021 | 06:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

you can siphon by pulling the level sensor on top - you may need a new gasket; be careful with the long level sensor - do this first if > 1/4 full

I think it is best to pull the fuel bung on the bottom too - you will NEED to get under there and replace the rubber hoses ---> you want hoses rated for ethanol mix and the pressure of your fuel system (CIS if stock)
- replace the screen "filter"
- I can't recall but it might be a 19mm hex or maybe bigger
---> this allows you to get all the crud on the bottom out if you swirl more fluid in there

you will need to replace every rubber hose in the fuel system too; and most likely the evaporative stuff in the trunk - they likely look brown or amber and are hard, but SHOULD be flexible and clear - do not NOT use regular PVC tubing for this

the real fuel filter is in the rear engine compartment

That is a rare half year only fuel tank - no other CIS tank will take a full size spare tire. Do NOT try to boil it out or use a chemical - the plastic swirl pot inside will be destroyed.

no sparks; lots of fire extinguishers; not to be done in a garage!

nice color blue - what is it?

post if you need more info
Old 07-11-2021 | 11:31 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I remember when you posted about this car back in April - are you going to try to keep it, or just get it running for sale?

The advantage of siphoning out the top of the tank is that you can also get a good view inside to see if you have a problem with rust.

The strainer is a 22mm hex, but just buy a bolt at Home Depot with a 7/8" head. Double-nut it so you can crank on it with a wrench.

Here is what the strainer will look like. You can see the debris it kept out of the fuel pump:

Mark

The following users liked this post:
Catharpin (07-16-2021)
Old 07-11-2021 | 11:39 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

@r911 Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the CIS might have been different. I am pretty sure the tank is mostly full, he always kept it topped up.
Are there hoses I can order from Pelican? It's about 300 miles away and I want to make sure I have everything I need when I go up there as I only have a short time to do this.
Getting it ready to go on BAT. Would love to keep it but that's not in the cards at the moment, he had it for 27 years
Color is Gemini Blue, it is the original color.
Old 07-12-2021 | 12:21 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Fuel lines are going to be a pain. If you are going to sell it, I would leave them alone unless they are leaking. A 73.5 has steel lines through the tunnel and rubber hoses between the tunnel and the engine and the gas tank.
The rear lines are going to be tough if the engine is in the car. See these threads:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...size-911t.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...age-floor.html

This one includes info from Len Cummings, a guy on Pelican that makes custom lines:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ne-please.html

But again, if you just want to get the car running for sale, if it's not leaking then leave it alone.

If the car was put away with a full tank and stored indoors, I bet you'll be OK.

Mark
Catharpin (07-16-2021)
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

for me, Lines = smaller dia. tubes the fuel goes thru, steel for you, 2 types of plastic later on
Hoses = rubber, and need to be replaced as per above

Lines should be fine unless there is rust, and can be left alone

Hoses should be purchased from a dealer; I would not buy then anywhere else

You want to open up the tank on top & thru the bung - see Mark's pics. The fuel tank usually does not have to come out.

If you do a thorough job, document it for the next owner which should help the sale.
Catharpin (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 05:06 PM
sugarwood
Pro

I would look up a local Porsche shop and have them sort it out. Do the car justice and get a better sale price in the end.
No harm in giving it a shot with a drain and fill, but if lines and injectors are clogged, You should have a backup plan.
Where is the car located ?
Old 07-16-2021 | 12:17 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
I remember when you posted about this car back in April - are you going to try to keep it, or just get it running for sale?

The advantage of siphoning out the top of the tank is that you can also get a good view inside to see if you have a problem with rust.

The strainer is a 22mm hex, but just buy a bolt at Home Depot with a 7/8" head. Double-nut it so you can crank on it with a wrench.

Here is what the strainer will look like. You can see the debris it kept out of the fuel pump:

Mark
Thanks Mark! I will do this. I am helping my mom sell it. Not really practical to keep it at the moment.

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I would look up a local Porsche shop and have them sort it out. Do the car justice and get a better sale price in the end.
No harm in giving it a shot with a drain and fill, but if lines and injectors are clogged, You should have a backup plan.
Where is the car located ?
It's in Endicott NY, no Porsche shops around there and I only have a limited time when there to get it ready for sale.
It will start but I know the gas is a few years old, always kept topped up. I just want it in top condition for the next owner. I ordered a new gasket and will siphon it out through the sending unit.. It shouldn't be too hard to do. I have the tools and ability to do it, just not the familiarity with this particular model which is why I am asking questions here.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I love this place.

Quick Reply: Need help, how to drain fuel tank?