Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tall Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:36 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but what it doesn't say is that it was increased for '85 - so only the '85s have taller seating. Took me a while to unearth that tidbit when I was looking for a car.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:39 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it because if you find it doesn't fit I can show you how you can lower the seat for less than $20 and still retain height adjustability. I have some photos if you are interested.

I came from an '80 Targa to an '79 sunroof coupe via some BMW/Mercedes and a 928 so forgot that the coupes had less head room. The bug/disease for a 911 never goes away. In any event, I am only 6'1" but must have a long torso, because my head would lightly rub on the headliner unless I scrunched down in the seat or sat with my head cocked a little towards the center of the car. It was bad enough that I even thought about selling my car and start searching for a Targa. That prospect seemed very unattractive as I got a killer deal on my coupe and I couldn't have gotten a Targa in as good condition w/o all the mods my car has for less than $4000 more than I paid for mine.

I did some research on here and over at Pelican, and found that there are numerous ways folks have used to skin a cat. My way seems the best to me as I wanted to make a bracket that is strong as hell and still be able to modify the height very easily for DE etc. when a helmet is needed. I dropped the seat down 9/16 of an inch for daily driving and down 1 3/4 inch for helmut days. I also made a spacer for my Momo to move the wheel back. Adjusted the pedals to my liking and now the thing fits like a glove. I can lower my seat far enough that I feel like a little kid trying to peer over the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geoff,

Sent you an email.

Drew
Old 02-15-2005, 05:25 AM
bagger
Instructor

stefang,

You said:

Originally Posted by stefang
Yes, but what it doesn't say is that it was increased for '85 - so only the '85s have taller seating. Took me a while to unearth that tidbit when I was looking for a car.
This is seriously interesting information; I'm 6'5" and was very disappointed when I didn't come close to fitting in an 1985 Coupe with a sunroof. But your post is giving me hope. Where did you find this information?

bagger

Last edited by bagger; 02-16-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also 6'4" (and ALL legs) and I have no problem fitting in my '85 911 or my 914. I will give you som advice that will make fitting in your car a whole lot easier. Get a smaller wheel. Then you won't have to sit with your legs all bowed out. Also, Alonzo Mourning from the NBA put seat rail extenders in his 993. You could also do that, my friend Matt did that in his 914.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 PM
bagger
Instructor

I think the smaller steering wheel, a steering wheel extender, adjusting the pedals forward, and maybe a shifter extender will help. But the only way for me to have enough head room will be some combination of a low seat and a high roof (as in sunroof delete). Reclining the seat back makes things worse because the car roof gets lower as my head moves back.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:15 PM
William Miller
Track Day

Geoff, I'd like to see what you did. I'm installing some seats from a 996 in my SC. I started a thread on this today.

BTW those from DC check out our local board: www.dorkiphus.com lots of local guys helping each other out.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bagger,
I would be shocked if you had to do all that just to fit in the car. I would do one step at a time before you go out and spend alot of $$$$ on parts. Like I said, I just put a smaller wheel in my car and it worked fine. Good luck - Jay
Old 02-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff: I'm 6'3", 220 lbs, and I don't have trouble with any of the 911s that I drive. Your seat bottom to headliner measurements are as follows. '82 SC coupe w/sunroof & Recaros = 36.5". '80 SC Targa w/stock seat in good condition = 36". Both measurement were taken with the body of the measuring tape placed 3" forward of the seat backrest. I do know that early factory sport seats put you closer to the floor than factory regular seats, but I can't compare them to my Recaros, although they are probably very close. I don't have the seat in either car all the way back when I drive. One interesting thing about '72/73 models, the seats break down a little more than the earlier, or later cars, so you should fit fine.

Stef: There is a dealer hub spacer option available. Sorry, I don't have any info about them, but I'm sure a competent dealer parts technician could help you. I've driven cars that have them and I really like them. They put the wheel about an inch closer to you, and provide a touch more thigh room at the same time.

Pete
Old 02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
bagger
Instructor

Originally Posted by stefang
This is seriously interesting information; I'm 6'5" and was very disappointed when I didn't come close to fitting in an 1985 Coupe with a sunroof. But your post is giving me hope. Where did you find this information?

Bagger

BTW: Would you mind responding to my e-mail address (k-a.lyle@juno.com)? I am unfamiliar with the Rennlist "Quick Reply" and my web service has been spotty lately.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
mark928s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Also, Alonzo Mourning from the NBA put seat rail extenders in his 993. You could also do that, my friend Matt did that in his 914.
Is there any place anyone knows about that I can find seat extenders on the internet? I am 6'6" and just barely fit in my 928. I am interested in getting an SC and if there are rail extenders then that would only help matters.

Mark
Old 02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

I'm amazed you fit into a 928 at all! I'm 6'1" and while the leg room is fine, head room is iffy as heck. Do you have the standard seats?

Emanuel
Old 02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
mark928s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the standard sport seats. I rub my head on the sunroof but with the back reclined it's tolerable. The leg room is the best I've had in any of my sports cars. I would like to get new seats for extra headroom, but I don't know what to get since most don't fit people with larger waists. I have problems with my waist and that is probably the worst.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mark,
My friend just bolted in extra seat rails into his 914. I would guess you could do the same on your 928! I assume you would have to take the seat out, but I believe you could get to it this way. Best wishes - Jay

Quick Reply: Tall Drivers