Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'77 911 Transmission issue (need help!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:16 AM
JasperB
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '77 911 Transmission issue (need help!)

Hello all,

(Note* - I am a new Porsche owner and have only owned an old Ford so am not familiar with a lot of this. Apologies if I miss anything simple or make any mistakes! Trying to learn as I go)

I am a new member here and just recently bought by first 911, a 77 targa in silver. Purchased it in the upper 30k range and it is running well and etc. After driving it around for a few days (didn't take it on highway as it wasn't registered yet) I started to notice it was very notchy to put it into second, and it felt like it was a more intense shift then first and third. As I drove it, it started to get to the point of being almost impossible to put into second. I would have to really push it down and sometimes it wouldn't even go so I would have to go back into first. I quickly brought it home, and tried driving again a few days later but stopped once I noticed the same thing right away.

After doing some reaerch, I figured it might be the second gear syncro that was the problem and not the clutch as it was only happening in second. One thing I noticed was that when the car was off it shifts through every gear just fine including second, not sure if that's important. I thought that may mean something but then realized the syncos are only really functioning when everything is running so probably not the case.

I am located around the NYC area, and called a few people to see what they thought. The first person I talked to was at formula motorsports in nyc, which was the only real place I could find nearby that specialized in Porsche, but they also seem to be an incredibly high end shop and I am pretty young so can't afford the most expensive work. They quoted me at least at a minimum 5k to do the syncro and likely more. A family member of mine owned a 911 Maybe 9 years ago and said that was ridiculous but also admitted things have gotten much more expensive. I found another place in long island who said at least 4, and am waiting back on another in NJ.

Anyways, I am first of all wondering if it definitely sounds like the problem is the syncro and not something else? And second, what would be a reasonable price/does anyone know of a decently priced classic Porsche repair shop around the nyc, Connecticut, long island area that I should talk to? Thanks so much and excited to hear back.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:38 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

First try to rule out things that could be outside the transmission: shifter, clutch adjustment, shift linkage. Do a search on Pelican forums about setting up the shift linkage and clutch cable correctly to rule those out. Search for 915 transmission / difficulty shifting into 2nd.

Second, find out what transmission you have based on the serial number which hopefully is visible on the bottom case and not worn away. That will tell you what exact transmission you have -- you can look up the model (probably a 915), year and type of speedometer (electronic vs. mechanical).

If it requires opening the transmission...

From my experience, the costs you quote are in the range I would expect because you have to drop the motor and the transmission, and few people would open up the transmission and find only one issue or do only one item. While you are in there, the case will need to be resealed, the clutch, throwout arm, pinion bearing, pressure plate, etc should be looked at and in some cases replaced. If you/they find other issues, sourcing parts can be expensive. In my case I needed a new nose case, new shift rod, which are NLA, and I had to source them secondhand. It was a PIA.

If you can do some of this yourself, the cost will be less.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:48 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

That doesn't sound like a syncro. Bad syncros are more likely crunch, I don't think they prevent engagement. Sounds more like an alignment issue, possibly with the coupler (under an inspection cover on the tunnel in front of the rear seats) and/or the shift bushings. See this old Rennlist thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...nd-gear-2.html

It wouldn't hurt to change the gear oil as well. Use Swepco 201 or Kendall 85W-90. No synthetic in these gearboxes.

Start with these simple things before jumping in for $5K. Do a search here and on Pelican and you'll find plenty of threads on bushing replacement and adjustment. Here is a how-to article: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...provements.htm

Mark

Quick Reply: '77 911 Transmission issue (need help!)