Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:06 AM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile A/C Fixed!

I checked the system over the weekend, and found that the blower motor in the trunk (evaporator) was frozen. I also found that most of these motors in warm climates didn't make it past the early 1990s.

After hearing the price of the new unit (almost $300, could not find a motor small enough that was 12V to manually replace the siezed motor), I went to radio shack and bought a heavy duty 5" computer fan $22), glued it in ($3), covered the rest of the opening and hooked it up to the existing wiring (so that it only turns on when the A/C is on).

I then recharged the system myself with oil/ref ($12.99 kit and $6.99 for the oil/ref can) mix, and I have 39 degrees coming out of the vents at speed, about 42 degrees at idle give or take a degree. I believe the dryer was replaced a couple years ago with the compressor (stock type), but everything else looks stock. I have to charge it annually regardless, so I am happy at this point. May want to try this before going through the hose bit. I never thought I would have this in my 85' Carrera. Now, it was only 80 degrees here when I tested it, and I'm sure it won't be that cold when it is 95 degress, but I'm happy with it. I'll take pictures if anyone would like to see them.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Teutonics
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the fix! In case you want to ever replace the original fan motor, they can be found for around $80 on the web. Let me know if you can't find a source, and I'll dig up my receipt to get the vendor name.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do. This way may have been an improvement, so i'm going to leave it.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: A/C Fixed!