Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dreams

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:00 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreams

I want to do the 24h of the Nurburgring. It is open to the public. You can sign up with a car (any car) and your team. I had all the infos abt costs and classes but it is so far in the future that it doesnt matter much now.

Back to earth. I recently purchased an 88 Coupe. I wanted a daily driver etc... but on the back of my mind there is always the "24h on the Ring" project. It would be like for some people doing a triathlon or the NYC marathon. I can't get it out of my head.

Do u think an 88 is a good start? My car is as basic an 88 could be... I was thinking with time I could shave some pounds (back seats, A/C, door panels, floorboards, passenger seat etc), install big reds, new exhaust system, additional oil cooler, etc. I think I could get it to around 1,000kg. Stock engine should put out 216HP. A 2.7 Carrera RS was 980kg and 210HP (300 for the RSR). Do you thinkI am out of my mind for even thinking abt this? Money is not a big deal, in the sense that I can get there if I do it little by little.... I just dont have $50k to blow on a track car. And it would be MY car.

Mr Olsen's car is what I am aiming for. I have the time, hopefully the money will not run out....

Do u think I am nuts and will get my *** handed to me at the Ring?
Old 04-06-2004, 04:04 PM
James Achard
Pro

Default Re: Dreams

Originally posted by mamoroso
.... I just dont have $50k to blow on a track car. And it would be MY car.

Do u think I am nuts and will get my *** handed to me at the Ring?
Yes, Money and alot of luck are what get you through a 24hr race. Figure 15 sets of tires to start minimum. Then add everything else, gas, spares, food, drivers, tools, shipping, wheels, tires(rains) and entry fees. What are the rules? Last I remember the 24hr. 'ring event was for ALMS type cars(GT3-RSR's etc.) Unless they have a Club event and even for that the list above is a bare minimum.

Cheers, James
Old 04-06-2004, 05:09 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Forget the Ring... just found the new rules..... Cars from 1990 only...
But it is open to everybody...

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/pdf/Ausschreibung_2004.pdf

anf this is the site

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/index.asp?sprache=eng

Not talking about winning....
Old 04-06-2004, 07:28 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the analogy about the marathon is good, but you have to take it a little further by saying you'd be doing a marathon without having run a mile beforehand - you wouldn't get very far.
Dreams are nice, but if you want to turn the dream into a reality you should probably start by doing some club racing, which in turn would imply that you need to learn how to drive a car fast (You may already know, but from some other posts I got the impression you've never done a DE). Also, you should likely start saving money - it'll cost a lot more than you think.
Also, remember not to race what you can't afford to drive off a cliff.

Is it nuts to have dreams? No, but it's nuts to go off half baked and come out broke or dead - remember, this is the old ring we're talking about.

have fun

Quick Reply: Dreams