Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Correct Euro spec height

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 10:32 AM
CT Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Correct Euro spec height

About 12 years ago I had my ‘88 911 Targa lowered to European height. The car was corner balanced. The car has its original 16” Fuch wheels.
Over the next 5-6 years I ran Dunlop Star Spec I Direzza tires. All was fine. I replaced the Star Spec 1’s with Dunlop’s replacement, Star spec 2 Direzza’s. Occasionally the new front tires would rub against the inside lip of the fender. It would slightly bend the lip and put a light groove in the tire.
Just yesterday I put on Continental Extreme Contact sport SL tires which have a different side wall profile than the Dunlop’s. The Continental’s appear to protrude past the lip of the rim while the Dunlop’s sidewall was flatter, more in line with the rim.
I do not see any evidence that they rub but I think the conditions, angle of the wheel, whether the car is on an incline, etc, all have to be in snych for the problem to occur.
Is it possible my car sagged over the years? Can someone please tell me what the correct euro spec height of a component should be that I could measure like the fender or rocker or bumper or something else?
Is rolling the fender an advisable solution or would that ruin the originality of a well preserved original car?
Old 05-30-2021, 01:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by CT Mike
About 12 years ago I had my ‘88 911 Targa lowered to European height. The car was corner balanced. The car has its original 16” Fuch wheels.
Over the next 5-6 years I ran Dunlop Star Spec I Direzza tires. All was fine. I replaced the Star Spec 1’s with Dunlop’s replacement, Star spec 2 Direzza’s. Occasionally the new front tires would rub against the inside lip of the fender. It would slightly bend the lip and put a light groove in the tire.
Just yesterday I put on Continental Extreme Contact sport SL tires which have a different side wall profile than the Dunlop’s. The Continental’s appear to protrude past the lip of the rim while the Dunlop’s sidewall was flatter, more in line with the rim.
I do not see any evidence that they rub but I think the conditions, angle of the wheel, whether the car is on an incline, etc, all have to be in snych for the problem to occur.
Is it possible my car sagged over the years? Can someone please tell me what the correct euro spec height of a component should be that I could measure like the fender or rocker or bumper or something else?
Is rolling the fender an advisable solution or would that ruin the originality of a well preserved original car?
THe only years when stock ride height for US cars was raised above stock RoW ride height was 1975 thru 1983, US 911's for these years have the following specs
front 99+/5mm
rear 37+/-5mm

all others both US and RoW from '76 up w/ the exception of '84 SC/RS and '74 Carrera have the following specs
front 108+/-5mm
rear 16+/-5mm

'74 Carrera is
113+/-5mm
12.5+/5mm

'84 SC/RS is
143+/-5
14+/-5mm

all other '72 -'74 all have a spec of 12.5+/-5mm in back 108+/-5mm in front

Assuming stock 6" ET36 front w/ 205/55 x16 tires it's very unusual for there to be interference at the lip, w/ 7ET23.3 and the same tire it's far more common

yes, it's possible that the bushes or t-bars have sagged, also possible that the front camber is out of whack which could also cause an issue

camber spec is 0° +/-10' but many run a bit more negative for cornering grip enhancement
Old 05-30-2021, 04:50 PM
CT Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Bill. Can you tell me where those measurements are taken?
I just measured the height of the fender thru the center of the wheel. It is 24 5/8”. The rears are 24 3/8”.
Since the front tire didn’t rub but the second set did, I’ll have the camber checked as you suggested. Perhaps it was set wrong with the alignment when the second set of tires were installed.
Does the height suggest the car is sitting too low?
Old 05-30-2021, 05:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by CT Mike
Thanks Bill. Can you tell me where those measurements are taken?
I just measured the height of the fender thru the center of the wheel. It is 24 5/8”. The rears are 24 3/8”.
Since the front tire didn’t rub but the second set did, I’ll have the camber checked as you suggested. Perhaps it was set wrong with the alignment when the second set of tires were installed.
Does the height suggest the car is sitting too low?
Fender height isn't a reible gauge

factory method

Quick Reply: Correct Euro spec height