Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ooops...brake line ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:26 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Ooops...brake line ??

Just checking and replaceing the rear rubber lines on my 89 Carrera and one of the solid brass lines from the flex to the caliper broke inside the nut...I do not see these in any part catalogs. This can not be an uncommon issue as my car has only 45K on her and I have never had her in water. I hate to see what the lines are like in my older cars...Any idea on where to get these and then to restrict this from happening again?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:08 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael, You can pick these up at a local auto parts store. Find one that is close to the length you need and bend to fit your application. Just make sure you get the correct double flare with metric ends. Bring in your old one to make sure.

Cheers, James
Old 04-05-2004, 12:35 AM
sushinav
Instructor

I've been told it's a "bubble flair" which is different from a double. I am doing all my hardlines right now, and NAPA has the correct fit lines and sizes. Take your old one in with you and they will match the style and thread pitch. Or try Pelicanparts if you want the more expensive but easier method.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:02 AM
mjmoran
Instructor

Thanks Guys...just went thru the Snap-on catalog. Think Ill check out Napa and then use my new tubing bender. Sushi, on your SC, are the lines copper or steel? My Carrera has copper and the other cars are steel
Old 04-05-2004, 10:11 PM
sushinav
Instructor

I was told our lines look copper, but are actually a treated steel. Copper is a soft metal and not viable for hydraulic lines.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:49 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Coipper seems fine for brake lines - had them on my '76 now for 12 years in combination with DOT 5, fill for life, silicon fluid. Company in the UK does measured, cut and fiittings full sets of copper tubes for all car makes.

PJC
Old 04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do youself a huge favor. Try to find the factory lines. I have tried the aftermarket lines. They do not fit as well. I know because I just spent an inordinate amount of time with these aftermarket lines. While they will work, you have to tighten them so tight that you think you are going to strip the threads.

I then got the factory lines. It's a world of difference.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:25 PM
sushinav
Instructor

They are actually copper then. Good to know, I always like learning from Rennlisters. I always wondered what they used old melted down pfennigs (German pennies) for.
I agree. I have done most of my hard lines and used mostly the Porsche ones, which fit better. But I have used 3 NAPA lines that had to be bent to fit because Porsche doesn't make a replacement anymore.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I agree with bauerjab.I broke a line putting in a new master cylinder.I tried the local parts store and bend my own but didn't like the way it fit.The dealer had to special order it from Germany but if I remember correctly it wasn't that expensive.Don't cut corners on the brakes it can be a deadly mistake.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:39 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Well, all is going (or better yet stopping) well on my brakes now. Just came in from a nice test drive! Thanks to all. I ended up going getting the good German lines that were not bent. That way I was able to get a nice tubing bender along with other fun items from my local Snap-On guy...always looking for a good reason to get more tools you know LOL. The fit is perfect. I also got a double flair tool so I can do my own on any other occation. BTW, the flairs are double flairs, not the bubble flair as mentioned above. Now, along with rebuilt calipers, surfaced rotors, Porterfield pads, SuperBlue and new lines she stops as good -- or better -- than she did when I bought her many moons ago. Thanks again and happy driving.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:47 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Michael,

It's my understanding that they are "bubble flares" not double flares. A bubble flair looks like a flying saucer at the end of the line and a double flare looks like a cone with the line flaring out at the distal end of the brake line. I am no expert, but I would make sure that you have the correct type of flare.

Maybe we are just having a nomenclature discrepency.

John
Old 04-08-2004, 12:19 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Im just going off my new faliring tool from Snap-On. The bubble flairs look nothing like the flair I have and the double does...who knows...at least I have the correct lines though. Could be a misprint I guess?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:24 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Michael

see http://volksweb.relitech.com/brakeln.htm.

Based on the pictures shown in this article, which type of flare are you using.

John
Old 04-08-2004, 01:20 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

That is interesting John. The site is exactly opposite from my manuel. The top picture with-out the tape is the flair I have. Based on the info that this guy uses compression fittings and hack saws to fix the most important part of hes Vanagon -- his brakes! I think Ill stick with my oringinal assesment. Also, going to the local Napa store, the bubble flair and double flair match my description. I don't claim to know ANYTHING about flairs/brake lines...I have spent many summers blowing bubbles and I like double apexes though Thats why I just showed the tool guy what flair I wanted to make...he sold me the tool...showed me how to use it...the end. Double or Bubble, I can make em now. Ill just call them Porsche Brake line flairs. Moral of the story is to compaire what you have with what you want though. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:39 AM
sushinav
Instructor

I guess as long as they look like the ones you took off. You can call them whatever you want, they won't mind. That link didn't work for me on the Vanagon stuff, can you repost?

Quick Reply: Ooops...brake line ??