Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Started my Griffith's Keuhl Air AC install

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:16 PM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Started my Griffith's Keuhl Air AC install

Some members expressed interest in updates as I work through the install of my new Griffith's Keuhl Air AC system so here it goes. Despite the fact that here are much better build threads on pelican Parts for his system, here is one from a total wrenching novice. I'll admit, I was hesitant to pull the trigger and try the install myself but I am determined to go for it and so far things are going smoothly.

Here are the components of my system as designed by Charlie Griffith for my Black on Black 79' SC.:
- New Rearward Kuehl condenser with blower fan for the LH rear wheel well
- New Kuehl evaporator and Keuhl Evap "Wirbelsturm fan motor
- New Duel Kuehl condenser for the front area LH rear wheel well
- New receiver drier
- Complete set of barrier hoses and high low pressure switch
- New Keuhl evaporator
- New Kuehl 507 Compressor
- Keuhl tri-vent system with two new side vents and one new center vent

First let me say that Charlie's directions are well organized and easy to follow so far. I started out on Saturday by tackling the evaporator and evaporator fan motor. Step by step instructions made it easy. I pulled the old evap box out and removed the old evaporator and fan. A good thorough cleaning of the box and I discovered a small crack that I treated with Gorilla glue to shore it up. Cleaned out the smuggler box and followed instructions on how to modify the existing fan housing to accept the new Kuehl evap fan motor. Put everything back together and as directed performed a test on my existing thermostat before reinserting the probe back into the new evaporator. It appears as though my original thermostat is Kaput so I'll order a new one from Griffith's. re-using the old one was a nice attempt by Charlie and myself to save money where possible. I was able to get the new relay for the motor installed and fire it up and the improvement in air flow from the new fan motor is impressive. That is just from the existing vents! I can only imagine how much airflow will increase once the new vents get installed Well that's as far as I got this weekend. Next weekend I'll install the new T-Stat and the new vents as well as the two new condensers in the wheel well. Here are a few photos -

Out with the old and in with the new!

Original evap box all cleaned up and sealed up. Griff provides a great new collar that makes the seal easy.

Old evaporator fan

New evaporator fan
The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:28 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

super helpful to the rest of us wondering how it works and what's involved. Thanks
Old 05-03-2021, 04:35 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Enjoy! I installed my system in 2008 on my 88 Cab and it has been great.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

I am in the process of deciding on this approach vs. the electric option. Did you consider both options and if so do you have any thoughts related to your decision to go this route?
Old 05-03-2021, 09:19 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I am in the process of deciding on this approach vs. the electric option. Did you consider both options and if so do you have any thoughts related to your decision to go this route?
The electric option was not available in 2008 so it was not a consideration. Rennaire was another company at the time. I did extensive research and everything I read pointed to Griff's system as the best quality, best instructions, and best customer service, before, during, and after install. That has held true for me to the present day and you will see across a/c threads on this forum that others feel the same.

Do your homework on the electric system and talk to folks who have installed it. Consider that it is new and the volume of sets installed may not be too many. I can't speak to their customer service or ease of installation instructions. There is a thread on the electric a/c on the forum so I encourage you to chat with them as well. In addition to the a/c system, I believe you have to install their upgraded alternator which runs about $1K installed. I recently purchased that alternator and it is solid and a great upgrade. You might want to do if you elect Griff's system as well. I did the dual Keuhl in the left rear wheel. With four electric fans (two dual Keuhl, front condenser fan, and hurricane evaporator blower), headlights, etc, my stock alternator would dip down into 12.8-13 volts meaning it was tapping the battery for juice. Since I put the new alternator in, I never see less than 13.9 to 14+ volts.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 05-03-2021 at 09:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pavegeno928:
Durwood (01-02-2024), Mark Dreyer (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:43 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Thanks for the insights. I will do some searching for the threads you alluded to. I have 2 modern Porsches with awesome a/c, yet I choose to daily drive this charming antique which I recently acquired. It’s too special to relegate to the occasional cars and coffee or the seemingly mere 2 weeks or so of winter weather here in Florida.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM
crracab
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the complete system (except the blower) in my 88 cabriolet in November, 2020. I took my time and followed the instructions (I am 78 years old.) The install is not difficult, just fiddly getting the new hoses past the washer bottle in the left front fender (I wound up removing and re-installing it) to the front condenser. Be careful connecting the hoses to the rear condensers, easy to cross-thread and damage the threads on the condensers. A thread file works wonders. Had a shop put in 36 oz of R134. The result: center vent temps in the 30's in central Florida. The exterior windshield gets condensation from the high humidity and cold interior.
I did not go with the electric system because I was concerned about availability and delivery delays.
The following 4 users liked this post by crracab:
Durwood (01-02-2024), gdp_samson (05-04-2021), Mark Dreyer (05-04-2021), NeufCentOnze (05-23-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:31 PM
veduta
Instructor

My thoughts were the same as Pavegeno. I had read a lot about the electric AC option as well as Griffiths. The main reason I choose Grifiths was the fact that I planned to do the install myself and I had heard that the instructions were simple enough for a monkey like myself to follow and to this point that has proven to be true. The other main reason was the added expense of the upgraded alternator required. I was trying to keep the cost down and both of these fact were taken into consideration.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:09 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks @veduta for this thread. I will be following your progress and eventual assessment of your new ac to inform my own upcoming ac upgrade decision. Cheers
Old 05-05-2021, 08:28 AM
veduta
Instructor

I'll do my best to update but keep in mind this install is only possible on the weekends and that's when family etc. accommodates!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Cloggie
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

I have a bunch of the Keuhl stuff...its good quality.

I took a little different approach for the evaporator inlet. The plastic part is from Nostalgic AC and was pretty well a perfect fit. The two pop rivets went in as I am basically paranoid.

I also took the liberty of modifying his harness, which is intended to plug into a stock one, since I had the harness sitting on my bench....along with a trinary switch to control the condenser blower and high/low safety switches.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 PM
veduta
Instructor

Cloggie, That's a nice mod! Looks like a better fit. I added the cork seal at that point just to seal it up a little better but I like your idea.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Keep all your old parts. Many parts on our cars are now NLA from the factory. I wish I had done this from the beginning. Some are valuable now.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Great work! Looking forward to next step!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:55 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Veduta,

Did you consider the Classic Auto Air system? https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/...ioning-system/

Any idea if it is as good as Griffiths?

Need to decide which one to get and my shop is recommending the Classic Auto Air alternative.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Started my Griffith's Keuhl Air AC install