Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82 911SC Key Stuck in Passenger Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 12:58 PM
Nolaboy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 911SC Key Stuck in Passenger Door Lock

Being a gentleman, I opened the passenger door for my GF and the key is now stuck in the lock. I tried all I can (including freeze spray, lol) short of starting to tear into it. Any ideas? Is this a locksmith or shop issue? Can it be repaired mounted on the car or do I have to go in?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Nolaboy; 05-02-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:24 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Well, if you can get in by the other side you can have pretty good access to the door handle
assembly after removing some door panels.I'm guessing you can open the door from the inside ?

If you remove the door handle assembly it might be easier to fiddle with the lock , and worse
case scenario you bring it to a locksmith.I've never heard of this one before ...

Keep us posted !

Cheers
Phil
Old 05-03-2021, 11:17 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

okay here is what im wondering .... if you opened your door for your Gf and the key got stuck .. how did you start the car ???
lol
that would be a disaster... hope it happened at home...

Old 05-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Nolaboy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Well, if you can get in by the other side you can have pretty good access to the door handle
assembly after removing some door panels.I'm guessing you can open the door from the inside ?

If you remove the door handle assembly it might be easier to fiddle with the lock , and worse
case scenario you bring it to a locksmith.I've never heard of this one before ...

Keep us posted !

Cheers
Phil

Took her to a locksmith and it looks like something is stopping the lock from going back to straight up and down therefore it won’t release the key. I’m about to take the panel off for a look because I really didn’t want them fooling with it.

Thanks for the response!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:51 PM
Nolaboy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by wildcat077

Keep us posted !

Cheers
Phil
Originally Posted by theiceman
okay here is what im wondering .... if you opened your door for your Gf and the key got stuck .. how did you start the car ???
lol
that would be a disaster... hope it happened at home...
Thankfully my GF is cool and intelligent under stress so while I was having a panic meltdown in a not so nice area of town with a key stuck in my door, she called an Uber and went home and got my spare key.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:00 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome to the 30+ year old car club !
Everybody has their story to share with those cars ... the alarm system on my 89 seems to have a mind of it's own, but it never locked me out yet ...

Cheers
Phil
The following users liked this post:
Nolaboy (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 04:32 PM
Nolaboy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Nolaboy
Thankfully my GF is cool and intelligent under stress so while I was having a panic meltdown in a not so nice area of town with a key stuck in my door, she called an Uber and went home and got my spare key.
Cured! A spring loaded lever in the handle mechanism just got past another (traveled too far), so I put it back in place and the key came right out and everything works as advertised. Not sure of all the formal nomenclature but I think you get the idea.
To be safe, my door opening gentleman days are over on that car. Not sure how it happened but don’t want to test it again on the road.

Thanks for the support!

Old 05-03-2021, 04:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Nolaboy
she's a keeper !!!

Last edited by theiceman; 05-03-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

That’ll teach ya about being a gentleman!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 AM
Dave Fulton
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My ignition broke many years ago so I have had two keys for over 20 years for my 83SC. First time I am now glad to have two keys as we never re-keyed the doors after reading this I actually was a gentleman a month or so ago when my wife who had not been in my car for many years took a weekend road trip with me and I unlocked her door first. The lock was a bit stiff maybe some maintenance is due.

Last edited by Dave Fulton; 05-18-2021 at 08:33 AM. Reason: additions

Quick Reply: 82 911SC Key Stuck in Passenger Door Lock