A PPI Saga . . . (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004 | 09:59 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default A PPI Saga . . . (Long)

Just to stress the importance of a PPI…

(I will haze some details to obscure the car – the PO is a lawyer – PM me if you fear you might buy it)

I found a car on a popular auto-selling site. What I found out remotely:

1985 Coupe. Not red, white or black - so what I wanted.
Asking $18K but obviously slight flex. I figured $17K.
Mint factory paint.
No spoilers.
Very good interior – only slight wear on bolsters of Sport Seats.
Under 65K.
Serviced last 16 years at Porsche dealership.
Never raced or tracked.
Fuchs color-keyed factory 16s.
Clean CarFax.
Upgraded stereo (the only change from the factory delivered car other than tires).
Records since 1997 (dealership changed hands). I could even talk to the previous, previous owner if I wanted.
New alternator & battery.

I asked a fellow Pelican to have a look & he gladly inspected & drove & gave me a glowing review with only slight issues:
Rough idle.
Needs rear tires.
Window switch needs replacement.
Possibly needs shocks.
Wear on sunroof seal.
Needs engine hood shocks.
Slight indentation on end of engine lid from a forceful closing – very minor.
Repaired stone chip on windshield.
Good shifting for a 915.

Total DYI – maybe $1500? (All minor ‘fun’ stuff for a lapsed weekend mechanic who bleeds every time he touches tools – yes, me). He said it was definitely a very good example of an original car. (Thanks again, David)

The PO said all the right things. He was a nice guy but not a Porschephile. Selling because he never drives it . . . yada, yada. Owned for 4 years – bought from business associate who had owned it for 12. I could even talk to the previous owner if I wanted to. His dealership refused to release info to me (some privacy act . . .) but the PO got everything for me to look at.

Are you salivating yet?

So I go – cash deposit burning a hole in my wallet. I meet him at my chosen independent garage – yeah, I did it right despite some wavering (another story). BTW this garage is HIGHLY recommended from what I saw – I will post separately to protect the innocent . . .

The car is looking very, very good. Two – yes, only two stone chips were visible. The only minor surprise was a little fraying on the headliner/sunroof edges. OK, another couple of hundred, but the windshield’s going to have to come out anyway . . .

I drive the owner to his office & arrange to pick him up & drop him back at the garage. At that point, with PPI in hand, I will test drive it & we will arm wrestle about price etc. I drive off to visit an account with visions of twisting roads dancing in my head.

Then the garage calls me – yes me - not the PO – I was paying. (Another thing I did right)

Compression & Leakdown results:
cyl 1 140 Leakdown: 0%
cyl 2 140 Leakdown: 0%
cyl 3 110 Leakdown: 55%
cyl 4 120 Leakdown: 50%
cyl 5 125 Leakdown: 10%
cyl 6 145 Leakdown: 0%

Other problems:
Slight noise when sunroof closes.
Front brake sensor has been ‘taped over’ Oh?
Transmission joints were ‘siliconed’. WTF?
And the window switch & windshield & rear tires as reported by my Pelican buddy.
So the mechanic recommends that this car is a definite ‘walk away’. As soon as he mentioned the leakdown, I was already dust on the horizon . . .

Surprisingly, the mechanic says it drives well – with only slight engine noise. This mirrors what my Pelican buddy said. He (the mechanic) was really surprised at the compression & leakdown & ran it twice to be sure.

So I pick up the PO as arranged & give him the news. I think he was truly baffled.

My mechanic delivers the news in person to both of us. On questioning (by the PO), he says you can continue to drive it & retest & it might improve (carbon build up etc) but sooner rather than later the car will need at least a valve job with new guides = minimum $4 – 4.5K. And of course there’s always ‘while your in there . . .’

So I officially turned it down. We shook hands all around & I paid a $140 bill and drove off into the sunset . . . well, actually it was into traffic chaos, construction, SUVs . . . the usual . . .

Anyways, money WELL spent.

Ian
Old 04-02-2004 | 10:26 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Ian,

the search continues, good to walk away but sorry to hear about your luck!!

Best,
Chaz
Old 04-02-2004 | 03:34 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Wow. I wonder how much the numbers might improve with some use. BTW, I finally got the chance to drive my SC last week -- fabulous. I wish I knew what the future holds...
Old 04-02-2004 | 05:00 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Sounds just like an experience I had last week on a PPI on an SC. Saw the car three times, was all ready to buy it, and it failed the PPI (head studs). I don't if I felt worse about wasting my time and buck on the PPI (though it was money very well spent!), or the poor owner of the car, who really had no idea and who happens to be a super nice guy.
Old 04-02-2004 | 05:12 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

2002M3Drew - Yeah, by the time you're PPI'ing, you're practically driving, so it hurts to walk away.

Todd - It lives for another season! The PO told me he only had it out 6 times in the last year - that was why he was selling (that & his wife was not a fan).

Charles - The search continues . . .

Ian
Old 04-02-2004 | 05:13 PM
Tommy B
Instructor

Drew, was that the beautifull blue car "Paul" was sellin? I had spoken ot him right after your PPI. He was honest about it and told me. He seemed really cool.

I PPI'ed a too good to be true 11K '87 coupe, and had to walk because of 'blowby'. I know the feeling, but your wallet thanks you.
Old 04-02-2004 | 05:30 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

That does raise the question:

Will the PO tell the next sap that walks up and doesn't demand a PPI?

BTW what I neglected to mention in my diatribe, I was on a roadtrip 1500 miles from home (600+ miles face time with an Impala rental bomb on diminishing tires - 12 sales calls or cold calls & 3 new towns). Of course, I arranged the roadtrip mostly because of the Porsche . . .

Ian
Old 04-07-2004 | 08:02 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

As disappointed as you must have been, that's how the PPI system should work. You pay your money and get the results. You did the right thing! Keep looking, your car's out there!
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:47 PM
David911
Instructor

However, if you like the rest of the car, you could make a low offer ($10K) and see what happens. It is only a money issue - how much would you pay for that car with a rebuilt engine, substract out the cost of the rebuild, and go for it.

Obviously this only works if you really like the othe aspects of the car.

David
1888 Coupe
Old 04-08-2004 | 06:01 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it crossed my mind, but I don't want to get sucked into a money pit before I've even enjoyed the car. Kind of like marrying a prostitute.

There are many other cars out there. I'm talking seriously to 2 POs right now . . .

Ian

Quick Reply: A PPI Saga . . . (Long)