clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:37 AM
BPBevins
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch questions

hello all,

i have ownerd my 86 for 1 yr now and have put 14k on it this yr. when i bought the car it had a new clutch(5k mile on it), so now the clutch has less then 20k on it and i am having a problem with it slipping when driven hard. what kind on mileage should i expect for a new clutch. i am not hard on clutches as my 88 M3 track car has 160k on the oem clutch with no slipping. a few questions,

1, will adjusting the clutch pedal help?

2, is there a clutch adjustment?

3, what should i expect to pay for a new clutch with labor?

4, in 1000 miles my car will go in for its annual service, while its in there i am going to have the gearbox fluid changed. is swepco fluid that much better then redline? and how much fluid does the tranny take?

thanks
brandon
Old 04-01-2004, 12:56 AM
yelcab1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjusting a clutch on the 86 does not help the slippage. It only adjusts the freeplay. I think you need a clutch, and 20K miles is a bit young but ... this is not your bmw either.

Do the work yourself and it costs $175 for a cluth plate if nothing else is replaced. If the whole package is replaced, it could be $500.

Let someone else do it and it is a $1000, because there will always be something else they find to do while they are in there.

Quick Reply: clutch questions