Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Autothority vs. Wong

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
1984911Carerra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autothority vs. Wong

I recently picked up a British Racing Green Targa to hold me over until the Coupe is restored, and it came with an Autothority Power Chip. It is definitly faster than my Coupe was, but it won't be for long. I plan SSI's w/ Monty Dual Out along with a Steve Wong Chip. Will these upgrades make a signifigent power increase (i.e. butt dyno)?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:59 AM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have it custom programmed.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I would have it custom programmed."

Maybe by Porsche, right!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:20 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Loren I sent you a PM
Old 04-01-2004, 02:28 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Lorenfb - would you like to see some dyno results yet again?

Please don't come up here and tell us that chips don't work, again.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:40 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Originally posted by Lorenfb
"I would have it custom programmed."

Maybe by Porsche, right!
Ah, Porsche. The same group of engineers who brought us Dilivar head studs, 40 thousand mile valve guides, non-pressure fed tensioners, early G50 release bearing forks, thermal reactors, exploding rubber clutches, shall I continue?....

I guess if it doesn't come out of Zuffenhausen then it's crap. Uh, huh.

JP

1987 Targa Carrera - (steve wong 93 octane chip)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 PM
RMA
Advanced

Im happy with my Wong chip - car "runs" better, not necessarily faster.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:10 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

From 1000 to 4000 rpm's my car is more responsive with my Steve Wong chip. I stuck my stock chip back on - didn't tell my wife and she drove our car. When she got to the office she called me and said there was something wrong with our car - said it "bogged down". I replaced it with the Steve Chip - and all is OK. YMMV
Old 04-02-2004, 12:31 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Bring on the hot weather, so we all can hear all those 3.2s pinging!
Keep lots of octane booster on hand for those rattling pistons.
Also, avoid those long uphill grades in hot weather or wear some
ear plugs.

So, computer hacks with a laptop are more capable than Porsche/Bosch
engineers. It's interesting how the naive get sucked into simple marketing
hype and as such are the easiest to sell to.

It appears that many ignore the posted problems here and on the Pelican
board about erratic idles, rich mixture smells, and weird running problems
the result of chips. I guess they don't want to admit to a bad purchase.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got the 911 out last week. The car has had an Autothority chip in it for the last 12 years and I put the SteveW chip in the car runs better than before. No idle problems, no smoke, no smells, no weird running problems. The p/o purchased the car in 1992 has used the cars in auto-x, driven the car the way that they were meant to be driven, FAST! This was his 7th Porsche. Since chips are so bad for the engine it should have blown apart a long time ago. As far as naive, I'M NOT! I knew exactly what I was getting into and what to expect. The comments are the same nasty *** attacks as usual from Loren. Loren we know that you don't like chips. Let's see your proof that they don't work. Not posts from others, but your own personal data from use on YOUR car on why they don't work. I have posted my experience about how the chips in my car have worked for me. You seem to ignore all the posts on Pelican about how many satisfied chipsters there are. Same old crap from Loren.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Mark sP
Instructor

I personally love the comment regarding naivete. I for one refuse to believe that any large organisation can be believed to have the end users welfair at the top of their priority list.

Wouls Porsche not have numerous budget restrictions on development costs and manufacturing costs. Coupled with the need to make one component that meets several different specifications for varying countries and driving conditions?

Or when someone buys a Porsche new, is there an indepth questionaire for the buyer to fill out, which would enable Porsche to make a car specific to his/her particular requirements? Don't think so with regard to engine management especially.

Therefore why automatically assume that the Factory option is always going to be the best option. Afterall, there has been a thriving tuning aftermarket business upgrading cars from factory specs since cars were invented.

Why so much downtalk of chips Loren? Am I to assume that you also believe the best Exhaust systems and fuel pumps are provided as stock on our cars? If Porsche were happy to use such crappy switchgear in 911's, why assume they gave us the best chip programmes?

When someone asks for feedback or advice regarding chips, it is nice that he/she receives all points of view though and then makes their own mind up.

Bottom line here is only the owner/user can truly tell if a chip makes a noticeable difference or not. Steve Wongs chip isnt a big purchase. If you don't like it he will give you your money back or reprogramme another etc etc.

I have one and love it. I burn more money in a month on cigarettes than his chip cost me. The UK?USA exchange rate is favourable right now. I say go for it. (Just my opinion)

As to dyno tests for proof, I have seen many threads on this and none of them seem conclusive. Different test beds different equations etc etc. The only real test is the Butt test. Does the car feel better to you? If it does then you spent wisely. If not, take the chip out and forget about it. No big deal really. Not as bad as paying out for a full exhaust system and then realising that you hate the sound etc.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:25 PM
BGCarrera32
Intermediate

This is hilarious. I haven't so much as looked at a thread regarding chips for about 3 months. The debate flamed away on the Pelican Parts site back in December. 3 posts in to my read, here's Loren thumbing his nose again. You must have some sort of chemical imbalance in your brain causing your neuro synapses to be stuck in some sort of infinite little-boy mentality chip-bashing loop...

I have talked at length with Steve Wong. He knows the fundamentals of burning the chip code, isn't an engineer himself, but has access to the Motronic programmers that are. Steve has never claimed massive power gains, only refined driveability. I have one of his chips in my 84 Carrera, and it did remove a frequently commented on dead spot in the 3000 rpm range, and opened up the grunt a tad. Changing your exhaust, cams, pistons whatever and then never updating the ECU is akin to doing all the same stuff on a carburated engine and then never bothering to adjust the timing or reset the fuel mixture. Really doesn't make sense does it?

I put on a $780 Dansk single in dual exhaust and $300 Fabspeed premuffler. I'm a little dissapointed at the sound and what the combo has done for $1100; not ashamed to say it. Steve's chip on the other hand was well worth the $280 I paid for it.

-BG
Old 04-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

This is the guy (above poster) who suggests removing a 3.2 alternator
by hammering on the 5mm studs. The typical DIY expert!

As usual, attack poster and ignore the issues. I guess that's to be
expected from the typical naive & ignorant ones. They're also the
ones who believe the product marketing B.S., e.g. more HP with
a K&N filter.

By the way, where's all the CLEAN dyno runs to support the chip claims?
We've all been waiting for over six months now. As with most/all chips
as tested by Bruce Anderson, Excellence Mag, dyno results indicate
insignificant performance gains for chips.

If you feel that you MUST spend some money on your car, spend
the chip money on a carbon fiber shift ****. That way you'll know
you really got something tangible for your money!

Bottomline:
There's nothing novel about performance chips. They've been around
for over fifteen years. It's all a matter of how much pinging you're
willing to accept for performance or how high an octane level you
what to use. Like everything, there's always some tradeoff!

Last edited by Lorenfb; 04-02-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:27 PM
sschmerg
Racer

My two cents:

I do not know whether the aftermarket chips for the 3.2 dramatically improve anything, though I suspect they don't. I had a bad experience with a 944 Turbo chip, and would personally not try them again.

This is obviously a sore issue for Loren, and he may be biased against them, but those commenting on the virtues of the chips are just as biased, if not more so. Those who went out and spent money on chips are going to be just a bit reluctant to admit that the chip doesn't do much. The human mind is a powerful thing, and one can rationalize and convince himself of pretty much anything, including the performance gains or improvement in "drivability" from a chip.

-Sean
Old 04-02-2004, 02:38 PM
BGCarrera32
Intermediate

Hmmm...don't recall telling anyone to "hammer" on the alternator studs, and I would certainly tell you if a product I bought was a waste of money...

I'm not reluctant to tell you that my Steve Wong chip doesn't do much. It doesn't, and he never told me that it would make some humongous magical difference- that's my point. It does what I need it to, removed a flat spat in my rev range and I'm a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Autothority vs. Wong