Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic Retrofit Fuse Panel Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:01 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Classic Retrofit Fuse Panel Wiring

This is for an ‘87 coupe. I have 5 wires, that per the new panel instructions, need to be connected to positions 4 and 5 (from left). The two sets of red wires currently connected in the photo below are in the same position as in the original panel. The unconnected red wire floating just above position 4 came from a connection on the original panel between 4 and 5. There is no such a connection on the new panel and the instructions say to place it in either the position to the left or right (4 or 5 in this case). However, there is no room to fit all these wires in 4 and 5.

On the new panel, positions 2 through 5 are all bridged together as can be seen by the white lines between those connectors. It would seem to me that I could just spread the 5 wires across connections 2 though 5. Is there any reason this cannot be done? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Original panel

Old 03-11-2021, 10:33 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

I did this 5 or 6 years ago on my 89 and it was pretty much straight forward ... i bought the conversion kit on Pelican from one of the members
who put it all together , the instructions were clear and simple.
Did you get instructions ?

Perhaps you should post this on Pelican as well !
Do a search , the member was Fred Cook , he sold a lot of his conversion kits

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by wildcat077; 03-11-2021 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ForbiddenRooster (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:49 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Thanks! I added a post on the Pelican forum and also messaged the company. The instructions do not cover this specific scenario. It is just this one problem wire with no home.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:24 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Input (line) side of the fuse, right, not the load (fused) side ? Adding to the input side of a bridged set makes no difference which of the bridged terminals you use. Just pick another slot from 2-5 as long they are bridged.

If it's the load (fused) side, you need to do some homework on the circuit.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:58 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Input (line) side of the fuse, right, not the load (fused) side ? Adding to the input side of a bridged set makes no difference which of the bridged terminals you use. Just pick another slot from 2-5 as long they are bridged.

If it's the load (fused) side, you need to do some homework on the circuit.
Still a novice in this area. The wire in question to be connected is on the top of the fuse bar, and I would say it is the line side based on my review of the wiring diagrams. The bottom side of the panel seems to be the load side, as per mapping to the diagram wire colors, the wires go to items (loads) such as the radio, hazard light switch, oil cooler fan relay, central locking unit, headlight cleaner CU, ...

Does my interpretation sound correct?

Last edited by ForbiddenRooster; 03-11-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:49 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ForbiddenRooster
Still a novice in this area. The wire in question to be connected is on the top of the fuse bar, and I would say it is the line side based on my review of the wiring diagrams. The bottom side of the panel seems to be the load side, as per mapping to the diagram wire colors, the wires go to items (loads) such as the radio, hazard light switch, oil cooler fan relay, central locking unit, headlight cleaner CU, ...

Does my interpretation sound correct?
yes.

The top is most certainly line. Good diagram here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post8571895
ForbiddenRooster (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:33 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

While you’re in there , i suggest you de the headlight relay upgrade as well ... think it was J West or something like that ... it could save you
from frying your headlight stalk on the steering wheel !

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-11-2021, 08:28 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
While you’re in there , i suggest you de the headlight relay upgrade as well ... think it was J West or something like that ... it could save you

Cheers
Phil
Second this. It is J west. Pelican sells it. Very easy install
Old 03-11-2021, 09:41 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Second this. It is J west. Pelican sells it. Very easy install
Agree. My car had the stalk replaced recently. The Classic Retrofit panel has these pre-installed between fuses 15 and 16, so I am good.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:37 AM
Jonny Retrofit
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077

Cheers
Phil
Headlamp relays are built in to our fuse panel already.

To answer the OPs question, yes the 'extra' wire can be connected to any of the terminals that are 'bussed' together as shown by the white stripes on the fuse panel.
ForbiddenRooster (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 08:35 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Thanks everyone! Finished the install and everything is working and not on fire. Probably going to tackle adding on the electric AC soon.

Last edited by ForbiddenRooster; 03-12-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:11 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ForbiddenRooster
Thanks everyone! Finished the install and everything is working and not on fire. Probably going to tackle adding on the electric AC soon.
Great!

New AC thread! If you can, document everything -- this is a mod a number of folks are interested in.
ForbiddenRooster (03-12-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:55 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like you had a better experience than I did. Most of my wires on the top end had to be extended as the originals were too short for the new, taller, panel. And a few terminals could not hold all of the wires so there was some splicing involved. As Jonny Retrofit states above, the headlight fuse panel is already in there. Mine took me a solid 12 hours to do all of the wire lengthening...
Old 03-15-2021, 04:11 PM
Jonny Retrofit
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Looks like you had a better experience than I did. Most of my wires on the top end had to be extended as the originals were too short for the new, taller, panel. And a few terminals could not hold all of the wires so there was some splicing involved. As Jonny Retrofit states above, the headlight fuse panel is already in there. Mine took me a solid 12 hours to do all of the wire lengthening...
The wires can occasionally be shorter due to the handbuilt nature of the cars, but usually the loom can be tugged along a bit from the area near the trunk hinge.

Did your wires have the factory brass ferrules on the end? If not, then may have been cut back.

With thousands of our panels installed, I think your case is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:04 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, they did have the original ends. I tried undoing the wrap, but after cutting a few cms of wrap, it didn't give any more length.

Quick Reply: Classic Retrofit Fuse Panel Wiring