Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

‘82 911SC build (safari?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 11:06 PM
bearfridge
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘82 911SC build (safari?)

Hey Porsche fans! I wanted to start a build thread so I could share my car and my work, and so I can get some help from the community and have you all keep me motivated and moving. I bought my 911 on BaT in April of 2018, but it’s been apart since the winter of 2019-2020. The transmission was in need of a rebuild, so that is mostly handled. I also set about ditching the sunroof, but COVID shut down just about everything around here, so my desire to have a top notch blend job left me with a large hold up on getting anything handled in the interior and really hampered the motivation.

Anyways, here’s the car all put together:

And here’s the hole in the roof

And here’s an interim photo of the transmission rebuild.

I’m planning on doing a rally build, as I’m part owner on a race car, so I can sorta get my kicks that way, plus you can track a rally car but you can’t rally a track car. Besides a cage and reinforcing the rear shock towers, Are there any other areas where the chassis needs to be strengthened and reinforced for a proper rally 911?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:44 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

It depends what you really mean by 'rally', 'rally-car', 'track car', and 'race car'. There is a big difference between the Paris-Dakar and your local PCA TSD rally. For a local rally plenty of people use 'track cars' (though generally not 'race cars'). For the Paris-Dakar you need about fifty additional major things besides those you mention.

Last edited by raspritz; 02-28-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 PM
bearfridge
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I guess that was pretty open ended. My plan is for the car to be capable of something in the neighborhood of Rally Sprints on into Stage Rally, and what I’m looking for is anything to beef up the body and chassis that is easier to get to now with the engine out. Suspension stuff, oil lines, and skid plates can all come later, but while I’m getting some welding work done, might as well knock out as much as possible.

Quick Reply: ‘82 911SC build (safari?)