Power door locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 05:12 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power door locks

QQ:
I have an 88 911 and can unlock driver's side with power locks with the key but cannot lock them. It's the same from the passenger.

Ideas, things to check? Thanks in advance, oh wise ones!
Old 02-24-2021, 10:30 AM
NioMarvin63
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting 12V to the switch. Sometimes one or more of the wires w/ break where it passes from the body to the door. In me car which I buy on auto auction streaming. If you are getting 12V to the switch, then you need to jumper 12V to the lock solenoid to see if it's working. Or the drives side door switch is not working and preventing the door lock solenoid from working.
pull the switch out and try cleaning it up and reseating the connections.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:20 AM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by NioMarvin63
Are you getting 12V to the switch. Sometimes one or more of the wires w/ break where it passes from the body to the door. In me car which I buy on auto auction streaming. If you are getting 12V to the switch, then you need to jumper 12V to the lock solenoid to see if it's working. Or the drives side door switch is not working and preventing the door lock solenoid from working.
pull the switch out and try cleaning it up and reseating the connections.
I have not checked yet but great idea! Also good advice on the solenoid itself. I'll check it out and let you know what I find. Much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:35 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Todd, Are you able to turn the key at the door or not? I could not turn the key at the door when I was at the airport the other day. Had to lock from the inside whilst in the passenger seat.
Now it works fine.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:15 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Todd, Are you able to turn the key at the door or not? I could not turn the key at the door when I was at the airport the other day. Had to lock from the inside whilst in the passenger seat.
Now it works fine.
Yes, the key on both the drivers and passenger work just fine. I can turn to unlock it, just not lock it. It's like the connection to lock doesn't actuate but again turns just fine.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:41 PM
jcurcio
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Todd, did you ever find cause of the door lock problem? I am a newbie 32 owner and I have the same issue -- the key in the door unlocks the car when turning to the left, but nothing happens when turning to the right.
thx
Jim
Old 04-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcurcio
Hi Todd, did you ever find cause of the door lock problem? I am a newbie 32 owner and I have the same issue -- the key in the door unlocks the car when turning to the left, but nothing happens when turning to the right.
thx
Jim
Hey Jim, I never did. I propoably spend roughly 8-9 hours on it even replacing the microswitch with no luck. I might delve into it again at some point but there are other projects higher on my list.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:02 PM
89CabrioletM470
1st Gear

Just had the same problem on passenger door on 89 cabriolet. Had to remove the door panel and clean old grease crud from mechanism. Works fine now.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:58 PM
jcurcio
AutoX

Todd, I know the feeling lol...thanks for the update. Jim
Old 04-19-2022, 10:03 PM
jcurcio
AutoX

Originally Posted by 89CabrioletM470
Just had the same problem on passenger door on 89 cabriolet. Had to remove the door panel and clean old grease crud from mechanism. Works fine now.
Hmm, so you're saying the crud was somehow impeding the electrical trigger to unlock? How hard was it to remove that door panel? I looked briefly at the panel, wondering what it would take, but dont know where to begin and certainly dont want to mess up the panel in any way.
thx Jim
Old 04-19-2022, 10:42 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

I think I had a similar problem in my '85 cabriolet about 15 years ago. I'm guessing I took it apart, cleaned it and got it working again - no notes of purchasing any parts.

In my car, there are 3 different ways to lock the doors - the key in the external lock cylinder, the red button in the middle of the lower dash console thing, and the round mechanical locking **** on the door. Do any of those work for you? Feeling for how smoothly the mechanical **** moves may give some clues.

Being a cabriolet, and with the top always down, I virtually never (like once a decade maybe) lock the doors, which may be why mine got a little stuck.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:16 AM
wrxnofx
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty common problem if I’m understanding correctly. There is a linkage arm in the door that breaks after many years. You’d see it if you took the panel off. The arm is superseded to a 964 plastic part that is not adjustable. Changed mine out years ago due to this problem.

Quick Reply: Power door locks