Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing MSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Rick986
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing MSD

I've installed an MSD ignition and high vibration coil. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get to the top of the starter to connect to a power source. The thick red wire seems to short to reach the starter. Any ideas on how this is suppose to work?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Rick986
Intermediate

I didn't mention that this is a '83 911SC.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Howard
Racer

Why would you connect it to the starter? You only need a switched 12v power supply for the MSD. You can connect it to the panel on the passenger side in the engine compartment, you'll see 3 fuses once you remove the cover. Use a meter to locate the hot side and determine that the connection is indeed switched on from the ignition. Also, make sure the power supply is delivering a minimum of 12 volts when running.
You can download instructions in PDF format I believe from the MSD web site.
<a href="http://www.msdignition.com" target="_blank">www.msdignition.com</a>
Old 09-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Rick986:
<strong>I've installed an MSD ignition and high vibration coil. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get to the top of the starter to connect to a power source. The thick red wire seems to short to reach the starter. Any ideas on how this is suppose to work?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Rick:

You will need to extend that heavy power wire to reach the starter terminal. Just get some 10g wire and solder on what you need, being sure to protect the splice with heat shrink.

I usually run this power wire from the MSD around the front of the engine, behind the intake manifold, and push it through the rubber grommet that the other wires to the starter go through.

Its easier to drop the engine a little bit for access.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Rick986
Intermediate

The "101 Projects for Your Porsche 911" book recommeds connecting to the battery lead on the starter.

Howard, I like your idea much better...if I can find the right fuse.

Thanks Steve. How do I get to the top of the starter if I need too.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:55 PM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Their are TWO power wires on an MSD box, one is the thick red one and has to connect to the battery (in the case of the 911 the starter positive side is good enough like Steve suggests). Just lengthen this wire to fit, again per Steve's suggestion. The other smaller red wire goes to a switched positvie circuit, I used the original switched wire for my Bosch CDI box. Also don't forget to connect the heavy black wire to the engine and not the body, unless you want to extend it down to the ground strap at the tranny (best connection IMO) If the MSD doesn't recieve full power from the battery it will work poorly and possibly eventually fail. Once finished gap your plugs to .050" and enjoy
Old 09-10-2002, 03:55 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Rick986:
<strong>The "101 Projects for Your Porsche 911" book recommeds connecting to the battery lead on the starter.

Howard, I like your idea much better...if I can find the right fuse.

Thanks Steve. How do I get to the top of the starter if I need too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rick:

I'd strongly suggest that you connect that thick red wire to the positive terminal of the starter. These MSD's draw much more current than the OEM Bosch CD box did.

I can e-mail you instructions if you are not sure how to wire that. The starter is accessible from under the car on the right side where the tranny meet the engine.

The vast majority of problems people have with MSD's are due to poor wiring & installation problems. These MUST have solid power sources and perfect grounds.

Quick Reply: Installing MSD