Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice Needed - Barn Find 911 G Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Best of luck with the project. Come back and update the thread periodically.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:09 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry, but your budget of $20-30K is just ridiculous unless you do all of the work yourself and own a Porsche recycling yard. My '69 was a mess when I bought it (for peanuts), but it was a running, numbers-matching, early longhood mess, of which yours is none. To make it a gorgeous head-turner took 7 years and over $100K. Showdown's post #12 says everything you need to know.

Last edited by raspritz; 10-25-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:07 PM
gggdds
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's another VIN # in the frunk; you should be able to date it from that. It's under the trunk carpet, above the fuel tank as I remember. I'll differ from some of the above advice....with the way it's been 'stored', I would walk away if it's a 74', because of the lack of galvanized body. The 75's were galvanized on the "lower" metal, everything save the roof, as I recall. (76's and 77's were fully galvanized) The beauty of the 74--77' years is there relative lack of weight compared to the SC's. A well rebuilt 2.7 is a great engine, and lighter than an SC engine, and there's plenty of 2.7's out there. Of course, the most popular swap was to the SC 3.0 motor, so that's an option too, but if you can find someone who know's how to do CIS cams right, a hot 2.7 engine is lighter and can easily give 200hp. Most cars of this vintage do not have the front oil cooler, and you'll have to factor that cost in assuming you put either a 2.7 or 3.0 engine in; it is not an option to not do it. The overall issue is what is it worth when it's done, and if it's done well, that's still right around $50k on a good day. Any idea of the total miles on the car?
Old 10-26-2020, 02:48 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBerti
Thank you all for weighing in. … So, I'm going for it, please pray for me, and I will update with more pictures once it's home. Either next weekend or the following.
You're going God's work. Stay stuck in. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2020, 04:26 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 4 children and while I am financially well, I do not have an exorbitant amount of cash to throw at it for the time being. !
A car restoration may not be the smartest thing to do right now.
Make a plan, and a budget, and have 3 people check it over.

People with 4 kids don't have time to DRIVE their 911, let alone restore one.

Last edited by sugarwood; 10-26-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:38 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
A car restoration may not be the smartest thing to do right now.
That's just the thing: He's not going for a restoration, he's going for a driver.
My end goal is a great driving experience and a vehicle that I can have fun with and create memories for a few decades.
I think he should make sure it's rust free and mechanically sound, put in an inexpensive or home-made interior, keep his eyes open for a reasonable option for an engine, and enjoy it. And in ten or twenty years, if he has the time and money and inclination, do a full restoration.

Bargains are out there, if you're patient and a little bit lucky. I picked up a running, driving '89 Cab for a couple thousand a year ago.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
That's just the thing: He's not going for a restoration, he's going for a driver.
I think he should make sure it's rust free and mechanically sound, put in an inexpensive or home-made interior, keep his eyes open for a reasonable option for an engine, and enjoy it. And in ten or twenty years, if he has the time and money and inclination, do a full restoration.

Bargains are out there, if you're patient and a little bit lucky. I picked up a running, driving '89 Cab for a couple thousand a year ago.
i agree wit this 100% ..
not everyone is trying to build restorations..
OP didnt say if transmission was intact or not but if it is picking up a motor on the cheap is not out of the realm of possibility. If hard points are not too bad .. rolling chassis is good and it will safety , have at her and have fun for a few years if nothing else.. I see quite a few " challenged" 911s scooting around and i always give them the thumbs up.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:57 PM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

To be honest, this 911 looks to be in very bad shape. There is visible rust everywhere and the picture of the transmission isn't encouraging either. Sorry to break it to you like this OP but this is really an almost impossible project (I say this from experience).
Old 10-30-2020, 06:02 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

It'll probably break in half when they try to pull it out anyway.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:01 AM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I certainly mean no disrespect to the original poster, but in my 40 years with Porsches, I've heard this same story countless times, and only a precious few have a happy ending. With a lot of excitement and optimism, and stars in their eyes, people begin these projects thinking that they will be different. The odds are against it. When the true condition of this car is fully realized, it will likely be a hopeless project for a newbie. Remember, those four kids won't cost less as they grow up. They won't need less of your time as they grow up. If you need a project that will only eat up half of your money and sanity, restore an old Airstream travel trailer.
The following users liked this post:
sugarwood (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:33 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
It will cost him $50k to get that thing driving.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:01 AM
bbal
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems a more appropriate title to the thread would be "field find"
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 02:55 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bbal
It seems a more appropriate title to the thread would be "field find"
Exactly what I was thinking. I kept looking for a barn in the photos.

Of course, though, I wish only the best for the OP.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:42 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

Hello All - new to the forum and likely soon to Porsche ownership...

I don't have all details of the vehicle, but I am planning on taking ownership of an abandoned G Series 911 on my family's farmland. I do not yet have any title to confirm year or specific model, but I am told it is either a '74 or 77'. No motor, body visually appears solid, has transmission and full interior (though will need to be fully refinished).

I'm looking for guidance and resources on how to get started to plan this out. I will update as I have more information. Regarding my situation, I have 4 children and while I am financially well, I do not have an exorbitant amount of cash to throw at it for the time being. My end goal is a great driving experience and a vehicle that I can have fun with and create memories for a few decades.

That said, where would the forum suggest I start planning? Being that the vehicle doesn't have a powerplant, I planned on starting there. I'd love to get a pure Porsche experience with a NA Porsche 6, but I'm not sure that will fit my budget. I've heard others suggest a Subaru flat motor (potentially a WRX swap), but I'm not married to the idea and again, unclear where to start.

Understanding I may get picked apart for this post, I am past the point of tire kicking, but not yet at a budget or timeframe for completion. Just hopeful for some beginner's guidance.

Thank you!
The simple answer to your question is NO DO NOT spend money on this car. First of all do yourself a favor and research what 911's from 74 to 78 are worth today. The answer is not very much. At best a nicely restored Porsche SC is worth $35 to 40K.

You need to understand that this Porsche is a basket case and to put it in pristine shape is a $100K project not a $25-35K project. At the end of the day you still have a Porsche worth $40-45K. This is a bad monetary investment period.

My advice is to pull this hulk out of the field and pullout all the crap and pressure wash it. Take pictures and put it up on eBay and hope someone may pay you a couple thousand for the hulk. Take the money and go buy a used Porsche that is running but still needs some work. You will a least have a runner that will justify some expense in repairs/restoration.

The following 3 users liked this post by bmwexpat:
raspritz (11-01-2020), RFP (11-01-2020), sirdaft1 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 12:02 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with a lot of the advice/warnings above

AND even if it were $100k perfect it is still a mid 70s car
those who are old enough remember that mid 70s were the nadir for all Marques, with performance cars suffering the most

Quick Reply: Advice Needed - Barn Find 911 G Series