Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

$#@(&* antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 01:20 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts
Default $#@(&* antenna

My antenna was loose and the nut was stripped, and in danger of damaging the quarter panel paint..

Trust me, this was not fun. After spending a lot of time reading pelican and early911s forums, it appeared the only solution was to pull the driver's door to replace the antenna. All recommendation were to only pull the hinge pin (to avoid having to re-align the door -- large PIA) , but this requires a special tool. Which I bought. It's basically a slide hammer designed for this particular car / hinge.

Once I prepared the car (built a door cradle to hold it once removed, painter's tape all the seams, etc.), I tried the pin puller. There was no way the pins were moving. I was using a LOT of force. Zero budge in the pins.

I went back to the only other method: destroy the old antenna in place with the door open, slide out the parts one by one without scratching the door or quarter paint. This took me 5 hours. There was much cursing. And much rejoicing when I got the final chunk out.

Happily the replacement antenna can slide in through the door gap, unlike the original.

I would not like to do this again.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:47 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

First of all I am surprised that the door has to be removed to take off the antenna....maybe because it is an earlier car? My electric antenna on my '75 was easily accessible through the wheel well, so maybe I just don't understand.

But too late for you, but the easier way to remove the door is to take off the bolts on the pillar...as long as you keep the positions of the shims straight, reinstalling is far easier than hammering out those pins....

You will damage the paint on the bolt heads more than likely using this method, but at least those are out of the way and not visible. I am doing this on my restomod and will not paint the bolt heads but use new fasteners from BelMetric.

Cloggie

Last edited by Cloggie; 10-22-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:53 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

yeah, electric antenna in a '75 is nothing like a manual antenna in a pre-75. I wish it was as easy as reaching into the wheel well.

Quick Reply: $#@(&* antenna