Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Source for crimp on pins for Porsche electrical plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:54 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Source for crimp on pins for Porsche electrical plugs?

Hi all, I am hoping someone knows where to source the pins and sockets for the sockets as pictured below. Porsche wants something like $1.25 each and with my rewiring project well underway, I probably need a hundred of the little buggers, both the male and female so call it $2.50 per pin.

I measure the pins at around 1.5 mm in diameter, when I check in PET, they speak of them as 1.6 mm and online they show up as an Amphenol part which looks the same, but just wondering if anyone knew for sure what exactly they are and I can just source them from the local electronics people.

The centre pin is larger (PET seems to suggest 3.5mm) so a source for those would be great as well.

Thanks for any help, as always I will post anything I learn

Cloggie
Old 10-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

OK, I went to the local electronics store and they did not have an exact match, but I think the one they have is close enough.

Part number is AMP CPC Type III, Contact Size 16—Pin Diameter .062 [1.57 mm] 18-14 AWG (Male and female) and they are about half the price of the Porsche connector.

The only difference I can find is that the male pin is about 1mm shorter than the "real" thing, but considering the length of insertion and that longer is always better in life, I think I have a solution.

Here is a pic showing the difference.

Not a big deal so this is what I am going with for any non-critical application. I will probably use my limited stock of Porsche pins for anything that would really bite me or be difficult to deal with once it is all in the car (e.g. the central locking system or alarm system components). I think this connector style is not used on 911's for anything high current or heavy duty in any way, so I think we are good.

I have not found a source for the alleged 3.5 mm centre pin/socket, my friendly Porsche dealer is digging for it, but so far no joy.

Cloggie

Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

one on the left looks thicker... more girth is always good for a tighter fit. ...
Old 10-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Originally Posted by theiceman
one on the left looks thicker... more girth is always good for a tighter fit. ...
Yes, good eye, the body where it it is secured into the plastic socket is slightly thicker, makes it a little more difficult to get out, but my presumption is that I ought not to be doing this all that often once the harness is back in the car.

I wish I could get the **exact** pins somewhere other than Porsche, but so far no joy. I may check back home in NL when I get back there, there are quite a few things that just plain are not brought here to CDN that are common place over there, this may be one.

Cloggie

Quick Reply: Source for crimp on pins for Porsche electrical plugs?