Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wiring Diagram 88 Carerra oil cooler fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004 | 09:15 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Wiring Diagram 88 Carerra oil cooler fan

Can anyone send me a wiring schematic for the fan on an 88 carerra oil cooler? I'd really appreciate it. My books only go up to the pre force fed coolers so I have nothing.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2004 | 10:47 PM
Jascha-M
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Check your e-mail...
Old 03-19-2004 | 12:30 AM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

No diagram but the wiring isn't that complex, it doesn't really need one. There is a good tech article on Pelican.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...cooler_fan.htm

Tom
Old 03-19-2004 | 10:22 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jascha, send you PM....

Thanks Tom....I have the harness and only have to connect a couple of wires but I want to install a manual fan switch in the cabin and I think the realy is controlled on the ground side, not the 12V side, but I need to know about that and the colour of the corresponding wires.
Old 03-19-2004 | 11:09 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

I actually hooked up my fan to a rear wiper switch on my dash board (I don't have a rear wiper). That way I can control when it comes on. I've only used it at the track.

Noel
Old 03-19-2004 | 03:08 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Noel, That is exactly what I am doing, but i need to know if the 12V side of the relay is switched or the ground side, as I suspect. Apparently the stock temp switch turns on @ 240 which seems warm to me so I thought I'd use a wiper switch (my car has the place but not the rear wiper.
Old 03-19-2004 | 03:29 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is the ground side. The factory thermoswitch only has one wire to it, and is grounded through the cooler. Pelican sells a replacement switch with a lower temp, I believe it is from a BMW. It installs the same way, except that it has 2 wires, one of which needs to be connected to a ground.

From the Pelican tech article linked above:

"if you want to include a manual switch, also run a 16 gauge wire from terminal 85 to one terminal of a switch, and connect the other switch terminal to ground. A rear wiper switch works well for this, and can be located in the stock position."

Tom
Old 03-19-2004 | 06:34 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok Tom, Thanks that was what I really needed to know.

I tried to source a switch from BMW, but couldnt seem to locate one that would fit. 240 on the OEM one sounds a bit high, but with a mild 2.7 i am hoping that if i switch it on manually on the track, that will do the job.

Anyone have the BMW P/N?
Old 03-20-2004 | 09:38 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Sorry Dave, I just saw your questions. Tom is right on, I used the Pelican instructions when I installed mine a couple years ago.

Noel
Old 03-24-2004 | 01:34 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I have the cooler partly mounted and the wiring complete to the fuse box. It is the blue wire that controls the relay. I have tapped that and now am looking for the best way to route the wire to the rear wiper switch location. I have the under-dash OE air and I'm trying not to have to remove it. Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2004 | 01:16 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just the end the story, The cooler is in, the wiring done and the switch installed. Strangely, everything works as it should! *g*.

As sincere thanks to all who responded, esp. Jasha for the scan of the wiring diagram.

What a great pool of knowledge we have here!
Old 04-26-2004 | 03:13 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

I have an 88 Carrera with the factory cooler installed. The following was suggested as part of a total installation, "if you want to include a manual switch, also run a 16 gauge wire from terminal 85 to one terminal of a switch, and connect the other switch terminal to ground. A rear wiper switch works well for this, and can be located in the stock position."

If I want to add the switch to my factory set-up, do I use the same directions? If so where is terminal 85 on the fuse block, or is it located somewhere else? I know it is a Grey wire, but what's the best way to locate it and tap into it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-2004 | 08:55 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Spidey,

This is what I did:

On the harness I have (allegedly from an 88 carerra) it is the blue wire that is the switchable one. YRMV.

You can determine #85 by looking carefully at the bottom of the really and then transferring that info to the relay receptacle. Tricky to do that in your head...think twice, do once.

Once you know what wire it is, Tap into it the best way you see fit. I HATE messing with OE harnesses, but as it is in a dry area, only carrying a 'ground' signal and not likely to corrode or start a fire, I tapped the line with a 'scotch block'. Usually I solder and shrink tube things like this, but is it tight in back of the fuse block...All those wires...

I used blue 16 ga wire and routed it along the driver's side of the trunk compartment, behind the brake reservoir, then 'caught' it by removing the speedo and reaching in. I? ran two wires in, as I felt it easier to ground it in the trunk than in the dash. As suggested by Wayne Dempsey, I used a rear wiper switch (my car has none) located in the OE spot between the speedo and tach. If you do not have a rear wiper, the hole will be behind the dash covering. It made a neat and handy install and was the easiest part of the job.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2004 | 09:10 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Dave, thanks for the info. I'll try it this weekend. I always lay it all out to ensure it works and then package and bundle it all neatly out of the way. I agree, put the ground wire down where you can get to it, maybe I'll put it close to the battery ground strap.

Quick Reply: Wiring Diagram 88 Carerra oil cooler fan