Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

lug nut??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004 | 05:13 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Question lug nut??

I am wanting to remove my wheels in order to upgrade to drilled rotors. Unfortunately I have a locking nut on each wheel and the previous owner didn't supply the correct key or wrench.
The stytle I have looks like a top hat with some notches in the brim. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2004 | 06:08 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Dremel!

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but I don't know that you have much of a choice. The dealers might have a master key if you knew the serial number of your key. You might check there even if you don't have the key. I'm sure you're not the first time this has happened.

I only got one key from the PO. I was told the dealer will not (or can not) sell you spare or replacement keys for the wheel locks. They will only sell you complete new set of locks.

Hopefully someone has a more elegant suggestion.
Old 03-15-2004 | 06:16 PM
ebsalem
Instructor

A locksmith can do it. costs around $40, plus the cost of replacement 'normal' lugnuts
Old 03-15-2004 | 06:27 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

A Porsche dealer should be able to remove them for you if they are Porsche wheel locks. I would try this first.

Noel
Old 03-15-2004 | 08:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If they are the type that takes a normal key to unlock, you can use a screw type body puller to yank the lock portion off.

If they are a "designed" lug (which is what you described), try the dealer first. They may be able to help you out. Second, any good tire shop will have a set of tools that can remove them. Be ready to buy a new set thoough.

Matt
Old 03-16-2004 | 01:32 AM
mjmoran
Instructor

Also check your drivers manual. I remember when I needed to remove a tire on my Carrera for the first time and looked all over for the key was a weekend and the dealership was closed...it was taped in the back cover of the manual -- found out that Monday!

Quick Reply: lug nut??