Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 AC - Procooler? - Condensers? - Fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 11:34 PM
Victor Toce
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 911 AC - Procooler? - Condensers? - Fans?

A short time ago I posted a message about after market upgrades to the 911 AC system. After completely going through the stock system on my car I have concluded that you don't need any of these upgrades. I replaced the TXV and receiver, and repaired leaks in the compressor shaft seal and the rear condenser. The AC works great, and I live in South Louisiana!
I think replacing the 15 year old TXV did a world of good, and sealing the leaks cuts down on maintenance. Be careful of new product claims when the first thing done is a complete fix of the stock system and then the "aftermarket wiz" was added. The stock system when fixed right will perform very well.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:51 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I think brakes, tires and AC are the areas this 'placebo effect' shows up the most. Guys have old, hard tires, out-of-spec brakes, or 20-years-neglected AC components. They add some aftermarket gizmo (bigger calipers, next-generation tires, or AC miracle product), and then rave about the night-and-day difference between their new systems and their old ones. Well, no duh. If we brought all the systems and components in our cars back up to original specs, our cars would run and feel... like brand new Porsches. There shouldn't be any surprise in that. That you also tend to update the rest of the system when you're adding brake or AC upgrades passes most guys by. They just focus on the new piece that they added to the puzzle.

(Of course, that said, more condenser area is a good idea on the AC. )

My .02.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:20 PM
930slant
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced hoses and installed the procooler receiver dryer on my 88 930. I stayed with the r12. it is oh so cool!1 i still think the main problem is the lack of power in the fan. it just doesn't blow much air even though it is very cold.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
What's a good source for replacement A/C hoses? I know they ain't going to be cheap!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:46 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends what you're looking for. If you want pre-made hoses, with ends on them, go to <a href="http://www.griffiths.com." target="_blank">www.griffiths.com.</a> Charlie Griffiths is a great source of information on 911 air conditioning. Another alternative is to buy raw hose from your local a/c shop, run the hoses without ends, and then have the shop put the ends on. Regardless of what you do, be sure to seal the ends of the hoses with plastic bags and duct tape before you run them to keep them from getting contaminated. Of course, If you're running R12, have your local a/c shop evacuate the system before opening the fittings...be environmentally friendly.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 911 AC - Procooler? - Condensers? - Fans?