Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

991.2 S vs 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 AM
Shekhar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 S vs 4S

I live in Indiana, and would like to use 2017 911s around the year except in snow. Would a 4S still be better for me than an S? Thanks for comments/ suggestions.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Hi,
I am sure the 4 would be a better car for all weather driving.....I own a 996 4S. Since this is the "Air Cooled" forum you would be better served running that question by the "Water Cooled" guys.
Post this in the 996, 997, 991 forum. Porsche never made a 911 4. (964 4, 993 4, 996 4, 997 4, 991 4 YES TO ALL OF THOSE)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Shekhar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help, I am new to Rennlist, as you can tell.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Shekhar
Thanks for your help, I am new to Rennlist, as you can tell.
i would be interested in knowing how you actually got here . was there no indication you were posting in an air cooled forum for car years 64-89 ? . Im not trying to b a dick , but genuinely interested in knowing if your posting and signing up bypassed all these things so you would have no way of knowing ?
The reason I am asking is that we get a lot of posts for the more modern cars and im curious as to the route cause of this mistake.
Thanks

Old 06-26-2020, 12:46 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Shekhar
I live in Indiana, and would like to use 2017 911s around the year except in snow. Would a 4S still be better for me than an S? Thanks for comments/ suggestions.
Originally Posted by theiceman
i would be interested in knowing how you actually got here . was there no indication you were posting in an air cooled forum for car years 64-89 ? . Im not trying to b a dick , but genuinely interested in knowing if your posting and signing up bypassed all these things so you would have no way of knowing ?
The reason I am asking is that we get a lot of posts for the more modern cars and im curious as to the route cause of this mistake.
Thanks
Isn't it obvious? To the OP, as to most people, the 996, 997, 991, and 992 are all "Porsche 911s". Porsche's economic survival depends on that. So, you buy your first Porsche, a nice new water-cooled car (why would a newbie even know the difference?), you find and log onto Rennlist, and you click on the top entry that says "911", which is this forum. That is what I did when I bought my first Porsche, a brand-new 997C4 cab. To me, it was the 911 I'd always wanted, just like the 911 I'd lusted for since 1966, except better (which it was!). And folks here gently pointed me towards the 997 forum. Now I own and race a 67 911, fun-drive a 69 911T, and daily-drive a 991 TurboS. That's pretty significant engagement with the Porsche marque and early air-cooled. So, I say we give these enthusiastic newbies a break, be nice, and help them out. Hardly anybody starts out with an early air-cooled car anymore. They come here once, they get oriented and organized, they go away, and maybe in five years they come back with a nice SC.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by raspritz
Isn't it obvious? To the OP, as to most people, the 996, 997, 991, and 992 are all "Porsche 911s". Porsche's economic survival depends on that. So, you buy your first Porsche, a nice new water-cooled car (why would a newbie even know the difference?), you find and log onto Rennlist, and you click on the top entry that says "911", which is this forum. That is what I did when I bought my first Porsche, a brand-new 997C4 cab. To me, it was the 911 I'd always wanted, just like the 911 I'd lusted for since 1966, except better (which it was!). And folks here gently pointed me towards the 997 forum. Now I own and race a 67 911, fun-drive a 69 911T, and daily-drive a 991 TurboS. That's pretty significant engagement with the Porsche marque and early air-cooled. So, I say we give these enthusiastic newbies a break, be nice, and help them out. Hardly anybody starts out with an early air-cooled car anymore. They come here once, they get oriented and organized, they go away, and maybe in five years they come back with a nice SC.

actually not too obvious at all .... you have to click , or at least hover over where it says air cooled to be able to click on 911 dont you ? that's what i was wondering, if there was another way that people can bypass this decision tree... ie another hole to plug.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I think it's a search engine issue. If I Google "Porsche 911 Forum" I get Pelican at the top of the list, and then our Rennlist forum. If the searcher doesn't read the fine print under the link (which does have the year range), they end up here. I'm not surprised they don't read the fine print - I almost always click the links in a search right away.

Then when someone new wants to post, they first get directed to a login screen. But you no longer have to register with Rennlist, you can login via Google or Facebook. I think that's what is happening.

Mark
Old 06-26-2020, 03:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by raspritz
Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
I think it's a search engine issue. If I Google "Porsche 911 Forum" I get Pelican at the top of the list, and then our Rennlist forum. If the searcher doesn't read the fine print under the link (which does have the year range), they end up here. I'm not surprised they don't read the fine print - I almost always click the links in a search right away.

Then when someone new wants to post, they first get directed to a login screen. But you no longer have to register with Rennlist, you can login via Google or Facebook. I think that's what is happening.

Mark
ohh that makes sense... thats why i think a decision tree at the beginning of post is okay... to inform you of where you are posting ... just a " are you sure" thing... i wouldn't mind it if i had to create a post ...

"you are about to post in the air cooled section of rennlist for cars 1964-1989 . Do you wish to continue ? "

would be nice ...

top 4 threads again today are not for us

993, 930 and 2 991's

Quick Reply: 991.2 S vs 4S