Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What Would You Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 01:10 AM
orangeblood18
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What Would You Buy?

I currently have a 2016 Panamera Turbo S and looking to maybe downsize to a 911 now that the kids are older and I no longer need the 4-door sedan. If you had $85-$90k, what would you buy? This would be my third Porsche so I am still learning about the different models but still looking for two seats in the back. I owned a 2016 Cayenne GTS before the Panamera. I am looking for something that would somewhat hold it's value and a car that I would keep along side my other baby which is a stroked 393 restomod 1970 Mustang Mach 1. Nice old school HP/TRQ.... I appreciate your help.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:51 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

You are in an Air Cooled forum. So I assume you were looking at a 993, 964, 911 or 930.

You may or my not find an acceptable 930 in your price range. Those are commanding big numbers. You can certainly find a quality 993, 964 or G50 equipped 911 in the 85-90K range.

If you are considering a water cooled car you might want to post in the 996, 997, 991 forum.

Good Luck

The following 3 users liked this post by AG81:
Breitling747 (05-22-2020), Freddie Two Bs (05-21-2020), HelpMeHelpU (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

@ag81 That was a very kind response to a relative new-comer to RL. Thank you for that. I have seen and experienced too many people who must have been born knowing everything about Porsches because the way they treat people who don't. I remember being ridiculed to no end when I asked a simple confirmatory question about whether all 997 Turbos were AWD.

Any way, to the OP's question, assuming it's air-cooled you want, unless you are extraordinarily mechanically inclined, I would focus on 993s only. They are the most modern of the air-cooled cars. Once you get older than that, you're really going back in time and unless you really want to experience time travel, stick with the slightly more modern version. Further, I would focus on narrow-body 993s, which means "C2" or Carrera. For that money you can buy a great NB 993...or a more-well enjoyed wide body (which is C4S or C2S). Depending upon whether you want or "must have" manual transmission, you could also go with a Tiptronic, which sell for considerably less than their MT brethren. There are fewer of them but they are easier to buy (and more difficult to sell). If you pay the right price for a 993 and maintain it well, you are likely to not suffer much depreciation, at least to the extent the overall market for ICE cars doesn't collapse.

If you are looking for sources on where to find such cars, BaT (BringATrailer) is a good place to start, as is pcarmarket.com. As for dealers of such cars, there are many all over the US. I have visited many. Reputations of such dealers are mixed. If you stay with the best ones, you're likely to be fine. You'll pay more (on a relative basis) but that may be worth some peace of mind. Some of the better ones include: RPM (TX), Holt (PA), Sloan (CT), Columbia Valley (WA), CPR (CA), AutoKennel (CA--great cars and very fairly priced, not to mention great people), Abreu Motors (IN), RyanFr1edman (NY), CCS (NY), Motorcar Classics (NY), Copley (MA and CA), among others. Also search on Porsche's pre-owned website and search for Classics and input 1995 - 1998 for years to consider. There are a handful of P dealers who specialize in classics; South Bay (CA) and Colorado Springs (CO) are two that come to mind.

Whatever you do, wherever you buy, ALWAYS obtain a PPI from a shop that lives and breathes air-cooled Porsches. Once you find something, wherever it's located, post on RL that you're looking for a shop to do a PPI on an air-cooled car and you'll get lots of great referrals.

One last point, if you want a 993 (or any air-cooled Porsche for that matter) try to drive as many as possible before you buy. It's the only way to know that when you find one it's the right one for you.

Feel free to reach out along the journey. (As a one-time mentor of mine used to say, The journey can be as good or better than the destination.)

The following users liked this post:
Breitling747 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:27 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

I've been considering moving from my Cayenne to a Panamera in a couple years. However, I love that P!g so much, I'm not sure I can part with it.

I know that you're assumedly looking for air-cooled, and you have a great budget, but have you considered a 996?
Old 05-23-2020, 04:16 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a very tricky question as it depend so much of what you look in a Porsche.
When I bought my ’85 911 the mantra? was; buy the newest car you can afford!
I have now also a 356 and it has strengthen my opinion, buy an old and light car if you want to experience the go kart like handling.
Excessive weight is a burden that can’t be really compensated with excessive horsepower!
Of course with a new model you get all kind of driving assisting things and some luxury.
I’m not much a driver, but the 356 is a blast to drive and you don’t have to go really fast to enjoy. The handling is so crisp and precise, but this is only my opinion. With my ‘85 911 I have to increase speed to get same feeling.
I’m not native english so it’s hard to express myself, the 356 is not handling badly it’s so light that it’s so different to drive.
You should drive the different cars and then decide.
Good luck to find Your Porsche.

Quick Reply: What Would You Buy?