Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best sports car magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 10:13 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best sports car magazine?

I checked the archives and didn't find any posts on this topic -- I'm wondering which of the top sports car magazines is considered to be the (overall) best? (if any one really stands out) I know they are all basically competing for the same market share addressing frequently "identical" topics/issues; so, which one does the best job?

In a "nutshell", what are the opinions among Porsche 911 owners comparing Road and Track, Car and Driver, Automobile, and AutoWeek for most useful, accurate, entertaining/interesting, etc., content?
Old 01-15-2002, 10:56 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorites every month are Excellence and Pano;of course. I just picked up my first Road & Track in years and it's pretty good, nice right up on the new Mini, the 4S and Ruf. I really enjoy Autoweek as well, the ads alone are worth an about an hour/month.

Chris
81 SC
Old 01-15-2002, 11:09 PM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out European Car. All the ones you mentioned are decent magazines. I agree with Chris that Excellence and Pano are my favourites. I think that the articles are better as are the pictures (although they are limitied to Porsche cars). R&T and Autoweek will both give you more racing articles than the rest. I find that MotorTrend is about the only car magazine I have no interest in - too much focus on American cars. I would also recommend Low Rider. I read it to feel better about how much time and money I devote to my 911.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:19 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback -- I knew I had forgotten one (Motor Trend).

Yes, I agree with the input on Excellence and Pano but I'm curious about the "consensus" on which is the best magazine for "general" sports/performance car information (I get so busy that I hardly have time to read so this input would be very helpful in regard to which of the "non-Porsche" magazines are most worth subscribing to)
Old 01-16-2002, 03:15 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My favorite general monthly car mag has been Road and Track since 1960. It's sometimes kinda technical for someone who only knows about as much as I do. I consider Autoweek a must, because it comes each week. I've also taken Car & Driver since the '60s. If you like a lot of editorials to agree and disagree with, that's the right mag. I also take European Car, Automobile, Sports Car (SCCA mag), Grassroots Motorsports, and two each of the Porsche and BMW mags. I've also taken Motor Trend off and on. If I had to cut it down to four, it would be R&T, Autoweek, Pano, and Roundel (BMW).
Old 01-16-2002, 03:39 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I subscribe to Excellence and Pano of course, but as for the other magazines, the only one I like is Autoweek. It comes every week and has great classifiedes. It really cuts through the BS and tells you what is going on in the industry long before R&T, C&D, and the others. Also, if you get a bad issue (SUVs and Minivans) you only have to wait another 7 days for a new issue. My .02$
Old 01-16-2002, 04:08 PM
JPIII
Advanced

Sports Cars International.....published by the folks that do Excellence. It's bi-monthly.

Grass Root Motorsports is good, also.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots to choose from and most have their points, but I have always liked R&T. I actually happened upon Excellence which is how I bought my first Porsche, Autoweek is good, but different than the others, more of a weekly automotive update mag without the entertainment that I get out of R&T and Peter Egan. Then there are some good mags out of Europe/England that cater to classic sports cars.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:21 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Like the everyone else, I receive Pano & Excellence. My "general" car mag subscriptions are Road&Track and Autoweek.

I haven't seen it lately, but Automobile was a very nice sports car mag.

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L
Old 01-16-2002, 09:05 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

My favorites are both British: EVO and CAR (around $8.00, but every once in a while they'll have one worth buying) are great magazines, just kinda pricey.

later,

amir
Old 01-16-2002, 10:03 PM
grandprixwhite911
Intermediate

Grassroots motorsports is a great source for autox'ers .They are currently doing a nice series called "racecraft", kinda like drivers ed in print!!
European car is also a fun book. Practical Classics from the UK is great if you are into lowbucks toys with a British slant.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:54 PM
Turbo Dave
Intermediate

Evo! Anyone who's seen the recent writeup on the greatest 911 of all time will agree. Fantastic photography, great articles-
Old 01-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts
I get Pano, Excellence, Roundel, Autoweek, and Sports Car International. All great mags - and mentioned above. I wanted to point out another Brit mag called "Motor Sport". I only have the December issue, and I'm not sure if it is representative of their regular product. It is a little short on info on new cars, but it has terrific writing and many feature articles about great racers of the past. I got mine at the local Barnes and Noble. Check it out if you have a chance...
Old 01-17-2002, 02:14 PM
Doug Clauder
Intermediate

Sports Car Market is the only monthly that I manage to read at least twice monthly. Might be hard to find, so here's a link...www.sportscarmarket.com
Old 01-17-2002, 05:52 PM
BK911
Track Day

All good choices, but I prefer Playboy. Not too many 911's, but for some reason I still "read" it several times a month.

Quick Reply: Best sports car magazine?