Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

To Lower Or Not? (Photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 11:07 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

My 2 cents: my 69T came with suspension about 1/2"-3/4" below Euro height. When getting my car aligned and balanced after a full suspension refresh, our local highly rated alignment shop insisted on returning the car to Euro height. It's a slight difference visually but it makes everyday driving so much better in this sense: I just don't have to worry about scraping on steep curbs or driveways, and honestly I can't tell the diff in the driving.

Every time I got to EASY my buddies say "you gotta lower it more!" but I park worry free, while I have seen them scrape mufflers on the curb, or sweat the parking and have to have special driveway ramps at their homes. I prefer my setup.

To each his own.
The following users liked this post:
paul_howey (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 08:20 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
^Nonsense. If that were true then why do U.S. spec 964's and 993's also sit higher than ROW cars? You have to change the springs in a 993 to get Euro ride height.
I agree. I bought the M030 spring set for my 993 and used Bilstein shocks to put it at Euro height. My SC was lowered to euro height over 25 years ago. I have no desire to go any lower; but likewise I think the Porsche engineers know more about the correct suspension height for their cars than the US DOT.

Actually, I just picked up my 996 last Thursday. I finally had it lowered after dealing with the SUV height for 7 years.

Last edited by autobonrun; 05-02-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by paul_howey
OP, others here have given you a lot of great information that I wont bother repeating.

My only contribution is a word of caution when it comes to lowering these 30-40 year old cars. If your suspension hasn’t been refreshed/upgraded, you may unintentionally uncover problems that weren’t presenting themselves at your current ride height.

Once you lower the car, you will change the geometry of all the various components and doing so may cause the suspension to move in ways it hasn’t done previously.

I ran into this very issue myself on my car and the result was chasing squeaks/groans/creaks that ultimately lead to a complete suspension refresh/upgrade. I definitely don’t want to scare you away from changing your ride height. I just think it may be best to be prepared to remedy any issues doing so may uncover. Personally, I wouldn’t lower a car on original suspension that I wasn’t planning to do a complete suspension refresh on.

Here is a pic of my current ride height for reference.

To each his own, but I consider that "slammed". IMO, the optimal ride height is how mine sits and I have Bilstein shocks and struts, stabilizer bar in the frunk and other suspension mods.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 05-03-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:31 PM
paul_howey
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
To each his own, but I consider that "slammed". IMO, the optimal ride height is how mine sits and I have Bilstein shocks and struts, stabilizer bar in the frunk and other suspension mods.
My ride height is the “optimal” height for my particular suspension setup. There is no scraping and it handles incredibly well on twisty back roads which is the intended usage for this car. But it is quite stiff and harsh on poorly paved roads.

As far as personal preferences go in terms of looks, I agree, to each his own. But IMO, optimal will highly depend on the specific setup and the intended usage.
The following users liked this post:
SARGEPUG (05-04-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 10:57 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by oo7ml
Hi,

I have kept my 3.2 Carrera completely standard, however I am contemplating lowering it by just 10mm - 20mm (max). I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with.

01 - Someone mentioned to me previously that the 3.2 Carrera suspension can be lowered quite easily without requiring a replacement of the suspension springs / arms etc? Is this true and advisable?

02 - Any reason you would recommend not lowering the car?

A little quick photoshoping always helps to answer these questions of mine.

Quick Reply: To Lower Or Not? (Photos)