Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! lost 1st and 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 10:26 AM
Rob519
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help! lost 1st and 2nd

Well here I am, my first DIY project and I messed up. I installed the factory short shift kit in my 1986 Cab also disconnecting the coupler to check the bushings. I removed the shifter but had help disassempling and instaling the kit. After getting it back into the car I discovered I have lost first and second. My coupler was well marked for realignment but obviously something went wrong.
I was not having any trouble with the transmission just wanted the short shift because of my 5'8" frame.
Please bail me out guys.
Rob
Old 09-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can still “index” the gates w/the shifter it probally is the coupler off center no mater how careful you were. A quick check at the trans input shaft should confirm that all gears are available. Much easier w/the hand brake off & tires off the ground. Just adjust according to the manual. Another possibility. Several years ago I lost 1, 2 & 3 on our ’71 at an Autocross. After I limped it home I found the end of the shift rod split (the rod that connects the shifter to the coupler). 2 small hose clamps have held it in place for years. I’ll really fix it if the car ever needs a clutch replacement!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:15 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

If you have a 915 trany you have to find the gears by just rotating the siftrod.
Slight moves make a lot.
Benn there very often and the "simplest" way is to shift in reverse ( Check if the back up lights work ). Then lose the clamp and turn the shifting rod a bit clockwise to bring the slight play out.

Normaly you then have all gears after that.

If you have a G50 trany contact the short shift kit manufactorer. G50´s have inert gate mechanismen and can´t be adjustet on the shift lever mechanismen.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Help! lost 1st and 2nd