Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 distributor pulse generator

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

It's very simple to check the distributor pickup.

1. the resistance between pin 7 & 31 at the CDI S/B about 600 ohms
2. the A.C. voltage S/B about 1.0 volts or more when cranking.

They either work or they don't. It's rare that they are intermittent.
The usual problem is a bad green wire from the dist. to the CDI.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
john brasfield
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pulse generator went bad, still not sure about the green wire. I have to road test it when I get the brakes put together. It is hard to find the part, Ian's in Flordia found mine. Be sure to spray the allen head bolts in the distributor as they get rusty and are easy to strip. Ask me how I know this. Make sure all of your grounds are good while you are in the area,
Old 03-30-2004, 09:29 PM
magster
AutoX

Replaced cdi box and green wire pick up.
Theese solved the problem.
Thanks to all
Phil
p.s. now on to minor cosmetics
Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 PM
g5o
Instructor

Hey guys... When trying to test voltage between the unplugged 6-pin connection of my harness, the engine does not crank. per the Bentley manual, I need to check voltage while engine is cranking (to test 'distributor pulse generator"). The engine should crank right? If it doesan't crank, is this a sign of failure somewhere else? I plug the 6-pin back into the CD and it cranks...what am I doing wrong?

I may have to splice the infamous "green wire."

Here's my original thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/258001-probably-the-fuel-pump-revised-ignition-coil.html

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-15-2006, 06:21 PM
g5o
Instructor

Bump

- I am going to splice the "green wire" when it arrives tomorrow. When this wire fails, is it in the connection at the distributor? The new wire is only so long....so I will be splicing it where I must...is this okay?

But I am still curious about the cranking issue stated above. Can anyone help?

Thanks again folks.
-Chris
Old 03-15-2006, 10:49 PM
TannMann71
Track Day

I know this is going to be a little off the beaten Porsche path, but I just installed on my 82 SC, the Crane FireBall XR700 Ignition System to replace my failed Permatune box and I'm very happy with the results! Car starts with a the quickest turn of the key and the performance definitely seems improved. (it was fast and ran good before so it's hard to tell. Could be the ol' placebo effect, "wash your car and it seems faster" but I don't think so. It's definitely NOT slower..) The complete setup cost me $128.00 at Pelican and didn't have to replace the coil.
The "only" negative thing about it was the installation instructions which were sooo flawed that the unit would NOT and could NOT work as stated. Once I figured out why it wasn't getting power like they said and got the needed power to it, it fired first try. Only time will tell how long it lasts but the first initial results are good.
If anyone's interested in the changes that were needed to correct the flaw in their instructions, drop me a line and I'd be happy to share it with you. It was a simple fix and with this knowledge the total job could be completed in an hour or two by average backyard mechanic.

Jerry B.
85 HD FXR (Red's older bro)

Quick Reply: 83 distributor pulse generator