Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

fuchs restoration question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 03:51 AM
RMA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuchs restoration question

Does anyone have experience with getting their Fuchs restored?

How much is it going to potentially cost? Also, are their any companies that take trade-ins.......

Thanks in advance gentlemen
Old 02-23-2004, 09:30 AM
BHMSC
Instructor

Someone (previous owner, not me) damaged one of the lug nut seating surfaces on one of my Fuchs (apparently drilling on a wheel lock). The folks at Wheel Collision Center In Bath, PA (www.wheelcollision.com) did a very nice job of putting in a steel insert. At the time (about two years ago) I asked about restoration of the wheels and was quoted $180 per wheel. I’ve seen their restoration work and it looks quite good. They also sell restored Fuchs but, as you might expect, they aren’t cheap. I’ve also heard good things about Wheel Enhancement (in CA, I believe).
Old 02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
astark
Intermediate

RMA--

I used Wheel Collision Center to restore/straighten BBS wheels for a BMW and was happy with their work. Have not seen their work on Fuchs.

No association, just satisfied customer.

Alan
Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I talked to Wheel Enhancements they charged $165/wheel to restore Fuchs wheels, which included cleaning up any minor rim dings, reanodizing the clear rims and repainting the black centers.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:09 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

AL REED POLISHING INC
3010 E CORONADO AVE #A & B -
ANAHEIM, CA 92806 0000 714 632-3907
Al Reed - Owner

He did mine - and he is THE man when it comes to fuchs. less than $100 a wheel. I shipped mine all the way from Florida.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:13 PM
RMA
Advanced

Jeremy - youre the man
Old 02-24-2004, 03:22 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Al Reed knows the Fuchs wheels as well as anyone. He can polish, paint, anodize and/or clear coat to your specs or back to factory specs. His prices are reasonable (though he just raised them a bit), and he and his wife Diane are two of the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. It should cost about $100 for FedEx ground shipping (roundtrip). Don't mess with anyone else...ship them to Al, you won't be disappointed!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
RMA
Advanced

Default re:

thought id post this for future reference.

paid a few dollars less than $700.

the work took a little over 2 months. was told 3 weeks, max.

was never told how much the restore would cost, even after asking. actually, got a call and gave them my cc#, was told i'd get a price b4 shipping etc....never happened. they just arrived @ my doorstep with a big bill. not complaining about price here

one wheel was slightly damaged...so i had the lip re-done locally & re-polished. didnt want to bother sending it back.

judging from everyone elses experience with al reed, i might be the single case of he's "nothing spectacular". 8 on a 10 scale.

i have a feeling he might be a victim of his own success
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a very un-Al Reed like report. His work and integrity are without question. I'll bet that if you called him on the lip that was damaged, he would have repaired it free of charge, and paid for shipping both ways. My experience with him has been fantastic, and your situation definitely sounds like an anomaly. Sorry to hear of your troubles...
Old 07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
RMA
Advanced

"judging from everyone elses experience with al reed, i might be the single case of he's "nothing spectacular". 8 on a 10 scale."

i know it is weird. i asked many, many people - everyone loves the guy & his work. hell, even people i met in st louis knew of him.

reports are reports. its all for the community.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I know he's been backlogged - I sent a set of bbs wheels to him that took close to 2 months. No biggy they looked good too. But yes, he's busy enough that his lead times have increased.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
carreraken
Advanced

Weidman Wheels in Oroville, CA does an excellent job with re-finishing and repairing Fuchs. Let me know if you want his contact info.

There is also Wheel Enhancement in the Los Angeles area. No personal experience, but they advertise in Pano.

ken
Old 07-19-2005, 06:27 PM
H. Miller
Racer

I can't wait 2 months. Can you please send Weidman Wheels contact information assuming they take less time.
Thx.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:56 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

HW is at about 6 months - or was.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
M491
Racer

I've had work done by Al Reed, Wheel Enhancement, AND Weidmans!

My work done by Reed was a simple painting of the background on Fuchs. I was overall pleased with the work. Except he doesn't, for some reason, seem to like to do the factory way of NOT painting the seating areas of the lug nuts. Which is bad, because when you tighten the lug to the wheel, the paint cracks, and that crack in the paint can spread. I've had friends whose wheels were done by Al, that I saw myself, which were a bit spotty in quality. All this was a few years ago.

Wheel Enhancement did some refinishing of Fuchs for me, back to the stock finish. Each wheel looked ok, except when you put all 4 together, the finish wasn't quite exactly the same on all of them. Again, a few years ago.

Weidman's did some fuchs back to the original finish for me 6 months ago. I'd rate them as PERFECT. The anodized finish had just the right tone to it, which is hard to do. He didn't paint the lug holes. He checked the wheels for cracks and straighness. They came back looking exactly like factory. The cost was $155 each for the 9s, and I think $135 each for 7s.

Quick Reply: fuchs restoration question