Need help buying 1972, 911 t

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help buying 1972, 911 t

Hi all

have been looking for one of these cars for a few months now. They are the ones with the oil filler on the passenger side. Dont know too much about porsches of these era. I have a 993 and have previously had a 928. But the oddity of this car always appealed to me and have been looking for a targa car.
I came across this one which is a us car i think.

http://www.gt-spirit.fr/acheter-auto...a,1304027.html

going to have a look at it next week. They are a very large dealer of classic cars so driving the car is not possible but they will start it for me. it comes with 12 months warranty. The engine has just been rebuilt as well.

I would appreciate any advise when looking at this car and also apart from the bumpers, which i will change to euro spec what are the differences between this NA car and euro car.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I would never buy a car w/o a test drive.

For any old 911, expect to replace all rubber suspension parts.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:00 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by r911
I would never buy a car w/o a test drive.

For any old 911, expect to replace all rubber suspension parts.
Plus much, much more lol
Old 08-18-2019, 03:16 AM
Babaky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myflat6
Plus much, much more lol

Maybe if i gave some more detail of the work that has already been done on this car via google translater

12 MONTH WARRANTY
PORSCHE 911 2.4T Targa / 130hp (1972 - 1973) 102.016 km / 63.390 miles
K Jtronic Injection "Oil Klappe" version (oil trap) Matching number: chassis / engine (Certificate PORSCHE France) Matching color: "Aubergine 025" Gearbox type 915 - 5 speeds

Engine repair in 2019 (invoice: 12.510 €) - shirts - pistons - segments - Connecting rod bearings - line pads - intermediate shaft bushings - camshaft gears - intermediate shaft gear - sprocket - intermediate shaft crown - connecting rods and bolts - pouch joints up and down engine - oil pump - Distribution kit (chains, guides, tensioners) -

Front skirt refurbished in 2019 (invoice: 5.120 € + photo file)
Options and equipment: Hydraulic chain tensioner kit "Targa" black leatherette roof "Aluminum" arch Aluminum sill 4 "Fuchs" wheels in 15 '' 4 tires CONTINENTAL Chromed driver's mirror "Black" imitation leather upholstery Counter doors in black leatherette "Black" imitation leather dash cap "Black" faux leather dashboard Original VDO instrumentation PORSCHE 4-spoke steering wheel with "Black" leather handle Original Bakelite gearshift **** Belts 3 points at the front Cigarette lighter plug in the dashboard Black carpets Spare wheel "sheet metal"

Some comments on the car itself on the dealers sight

Chassis:

The setting on the deck confirms a sound body, without trace of accident or structural corrosion. The fundamentals: floors, sills, wheel arches and side members are in very good condition. We noted a minor deformation of the floor at the right rear. The front skirt and the front cross have been restored in 2019 (invoice: 5.120 € + photo file)
on principle we can not guarantee the perfection of the alignments beyond their good visual and functional state validated during the test on road and putting on the lift. During the dynamic test, we did not detect any abnormal noise at the level of the body or the running gear (ball joints, silentblocs ...). The braking is balanced, stable and biting, without vibrations or abnormal noises. The front and rear discs show less than 10% wear. Front pads have less than 50% wear. Rear pads have less than 40% wear.

Engine / Transmission:
This car has its original engine (attestation matching numbers / PORSCHE France) The engine was completely restored in 2019 (invoice: 12.510 €)

NOTE: A break-in with respect of heating times will be expected: 500 kms at 2500 rpm, then 1000 km at 3500 rpm max followed by a drain + tightening control of the 2 cylinder heads. This model is also equipped with a hydraulic chain tensioner kit. The mechanics work perfectly The start is easy, without smoke or abnormal noises. The idling is stable and the hot oil pressure measured by our workshop is 3 bars at 900 rpm. Once in temperature, the engine takes its turns normally. The box type 915 returns 5 reports without worries including synchros. The grip of the clutch is good.

The interior has kept its strict original configuration and appears in beautiful presentation. The interior was restored a few years ago. The black leather upholstery is in very good condition and has a homogeneous patina. We noticed some small scratches on the driver's seat and passenger's seat and a small scratch on the driver's seat. The doors are in very good condition, with no traces of access on board, deformation or discoloration. The handbrake bellows has a small cut. The dashboard and its cap are in very good condition, without cracks or deformation. The whole instrumentation of VDO bottom "Black" is perfectly functional except for the clock. The original PORSCHE steering wheel with 4-spoke leather strap and the bakelite shift **** have a smooth patina. Black carpets are in very good condition, with no signs of wear or discoloration.

Exterior: original "Eggplant 025" color. The latter is today in very good condition. The bodywork received a complete painting in accordance with its original color a few years ago and the set displays an excellent state of presentation. After a pro-orbital polishing done by our workshop, we noted a very slight gravelling of the front face, some defects under paint on the rear fenders as well as a fine scratch on the passenger door and the top of the wing front right. The front cover has a very slight deformation. The chrome is complete and in very good condition: door handles, headlamps, front grilles, rocker covers, rearview mirror, baffles and window surrounds are not tarnished or stitched. The bumpers are in very good condition, with no signs of shock or deformation. The Targa roof in "black" faux leather is also in very good condition, without fading. The interior lining was redone a few years ago. Its installation is easy and its sealing in accordance with the standards of time. The original rear window specific to Targa versions has some fine scratches on the outside. The aluminum sills are in good condition despite some small deformations. The 4 rims "Fuchs" in 15 '' are in good condition, without trace of shock or deformation despite some small scratches and scales on the contours. The set is equipped with 4 CONTINENTAL tires with less than 10% wear at the front and rear. This copy is equipped with a spare wheel "sheet". Among the equipment and interesting body options that this model is equipped with, we have noted: the 4 "Fuchs" wheels in 15 ", the chromed driver rearview mirror, the removable" Targa "roof and the famous" Oil Klappe "(hatch oil) located on the right rear fender.

There are many photos on the site to look at. I will be travelling 500 miles to see this car so would like to be prepared.

Sorry if its a bit ling but a lot of useful information i think.

Babak
Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 117 Posts

The size of the dealership should have nothing to do with a test drive. The largest dealers in the United States offer test drives unless it's a 918 or GT2RS.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Babaky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dave292
The size of the dealership should have nothing to do with a test drive. The largest dealers in the United States offer test drives unless it's a 918 or GT2RS.

Yes i said to him there was no way i would buy without a test drive. He said they have had so many time wasters that just want to have a drive that they no longer allow this.

they are quite a respected outlet though known nationally.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:16 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

It looks like a nice car and the asking price seems generally appropriate. You need to crawl around under the car looking for signs of rust; the supplied photos of the bottom are not good enough. I agree with what the others have said: I have never heard of any dealer who would not allow a test drive of a car like this.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raspritz
It looks like a nice car and the asking price seems generally appropriate. You need to crawl around under the car looking for signs of rust; the supplied photos of the bottom are not good enough. I agree with what the others have said: I have never heard of any dealer who would not allow a test drive of a car like this.

Thanks

will do. I think once they see me and see i am seriously interested they will allow the test drive.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

original color?
numbers matching?
are the callipers correct?
fuchs date codes?
heat exchangers correct 1972?

leak down test?
paint meter test?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:13 AM
Babaky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
original color?
numbers matching?
are the callipers correct?
fuchs date codes?
heat exchangers correct 1972?

leak down test?
paint meter test?

Hi yes it is a fully matching car with a certification from porsche. Thanks for the rest. I will ask for the date codes and the feat exchange. What would be the correct codes and heat exchange fir these???

Leak test will be difficult to do there but there is s 12 month comprehensive warranty so i can go back if i find any later. I will ask them if they have a paint meter i can use., what kind of depth would be acceptable ???
Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaky
Hi yes it is a fully matching car with a certification from porsche. Thanks for the rest. I will ask for the date codes and the feat exchange. What would be the correct codes and heat exchange fir these???

Leak test will be difficult to do there but there is s 12 month comprehensive warranty so i can go back if i find any later. I will ask them if they have a paint meter i can use., what kind of depth would be acceptable ???
i personally cannot see a 12 month warranty on anything vintage....
The following users liked this post:
tahoeblue (08-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Need help buying 1972, 911 t